Where is a legal disclaimer put/found, in audio books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

creativitytogo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will be thankful for your advice, concerning the following-

In textbooks, the legal disclaimer is usually found within the first few pages of the book.

Where is such a legal disclaimer put/found, in audio books?

Is it written on the audio book product's description, or is it read (by the narrator) on the audio book itself(maybe as a chapter track, like an introduction one?), or both?

Any examples/links are thankfully welcome.

Thank you for any thought and advice,

I.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's read by a narrator at the beginning of the audiobook.

You can probably find an (illegally uploaded) example on YouTube (search for "audiobook").

creativitytogo

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you alleycat for the quick and helpful reply.

Are you familiar with any other examples(where it is legal and appropriate), that I can listen to, besides the ones that are on YouTube?

I tried listening to free samples of audio books(sold on different websites), but the samples are usually without the disclaimer.

Thank you.

I.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Well, LibriVox has free audiobooks, but since they are public domain, there probably is no disclaimer.

You could always check one out from your local library. Or purchase a cheap one from Audible or some other seller (they usually have daily deals and specials, so it wouldn't be too hard to find one you might be interested in for a few bucks).

creativitytogo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Amadan,

The problem is that I can't know, in advance, if the audio book that I am going to buy includes a legal disclaimer, so for getting that one example, I might buy many audio books, unnecessarily.

I am just willing to know more about the common practice in audio books and look for some examples (that are legally and appropriately offered to be listened to)

Thanks again.

I.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Amadan,

The problem is that I can't know, in advance, if the audio book that I am going to buy includes a legal disclaimer, so for getting that one example, I might buy many audio books, unnecessarily.

I am just willing to know more about the common practice in audio books and look for some example (that are legally and appropriately offered to be listened to)

Thanks again.

I.

Well, in my experience, some downloadable audiobooks have an explicit disclaimer, and some don't. The ones that don't are usually the ones that were produced specifically for Audible for downloading, whereas the ones that do are those that were digitalized from CD.

Is it just the verbiage you want to hear? Because the legal terms are the same whether or not the narrator spells them out in the recording.

Your best bet would be checking out an audiobook on CD from your library. They always have a disclaimer warning you not to reproduce, upload, etc.

creativitytogo

Registered
Reaction score
In textbooks(digital/printed) it is very common to see a legal disclaimer on the first few pages, where in audio books I was not able to find a common equivalent practice.

I am just willing to know more about the different approaches and styles concerning this.

Thank you for the kind replies.

I.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My local library has downloadable ebooks and audiobooks. You might see if your library does.

Status
Not open for further replies.