Random Memories

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
It just struck me how we sometimes remember incidents that are seemingly unimportant. No, probably, are unimportant. Wait, I'm not sure. Maybe they are important in some subconscious, learning kind of a way. But, I'm not sure. You know, mini-events, things people said to you or things you saw happen. Could be strangers, family or friends, teachers, I don't know. Could have hurt your feelings in some way, or made you laugh, then and/or now. Just random bits of memory that for one reason or another have stuck with you for years.

I had just gotten my first baseball glove. God, I can still picture that thing. It was black, for some reason, and I don't think it was of the worst quality, but I'm sure it wasn't of the best either, but I was on cloud eleven! Anyway, I was in my grandmother's kitchen, my mother had some friends over, she often did, and a few of them were sitting around my g'mother's kitchen table. Eating, drinking coffee, I don't remember, but I was oiling my new baseball glove up--you know, to get the leather all nice and pliable. I had been going at it feverishly and for some time, when one of my mother's friends, Eddie, who lived down the block said, "Uh, Maze, I don't think you're using the right kind of oil on that glove."

I'd figured oil was oil was oil, and nobody else had said anything, and anyway, olive oil was just as good as any other kind of oil. If I recall it was Pompeian, of the extra virgin variety.

Hahahah, completely unrelated (I think) maybe ten years later, in my HS History class, taught by my football coach who spread terror throughout the school. A guy who looked like Vince Lombardi and had quotes of the old Packer coach posted everywhere in the locker room--this guy would ultimately get fired for beating the hell out of his OL coach in front of the school and half the student body. Anyway, strange weird thing he used to say whenever you got an answer right in his class, to boys and girls alike: "Yes, and for that you get a gold star on your rectum." What the hell?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Random memories? I am probably older than you, Maze, so this might be an age thing but for the last year or so my dreams --not all but once or twice a month-- have been random memories dredged up from my childhood. Some are recurring and I am sure that they have some meaning but what the hell it is baffles me.

The latest one: I am sitting on a porch step at my friend Tracy's house. (He died 10 years ago and we were not particularly close after puberty.) It was a blazing hot afternoon. His house was sea-green. The porch was gray concrete, warm but in the shade. His mother's new Ford Fairlane was in the driveway. We were looking at baseball cards. I had a Willie Mays. I had watched him catch a ball on my grandmother's new fangled television sometime that summer and at that moment had decided that he was my favorite ball player. Tracy wanted me to trade him the card and he said that Willie Mays was too good a player for a girl to have. I told him that Fords were stupid cars and my dad said so and he should know because he was a marine in the war and Tracy's dad didn't even go to the war. That's all I can remember but I did wake up still feeling angry. WTF?

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a random memory from my early to mid teens about going down into someone's basement through a trap door. Their washer and drier were down there, and the foundation wall was stacked chunks of limestone that was starting to bulge inward from the 75 or so years of soil settling. The thing is, I have no idea whose house I was at. I was only there once, and the only person I think it could have been didn't have a basement.

So I'm stumped, and it bothers me.