What kind of cars do teenagers like to drive the most?

MercyWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, can someone tell me what kind of cars do teenagers like to drive the most? I am looking for something that has four doors because one of my characters’ friends are in the car with her during an important conversation. She is also wealthy and a bit spoiled.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My eldest son passed his driving test last year. At the time we had a Saab 95 estate and a Hilux Invincible (four door). The quotes we got to insure him for the Saab started at about £8k for a year, which is more than the Saab was worth, and went up to £17,500. We couldn't find anyone willing to insure him to drive the Hilux.

We ended up trading the Saab in for a five-door Polo. The insurance for that cost about £600 for six months.

I suspect insurance will define this issue for you. No matter how wealthy a family is, many will still want value for money. If they don't, that's another matter entirely.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My answer was going to be "a cheap one," but I see that's not an issue.

So I don't know a good answer. But if price isn't a factor (and it still might be), I suspect it's just going to depend on what the character wants in a car. Looks? Status? Speed? Environmental responsibility?

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on how wealthy. I knew a couple of people in HS and college who had race cars, although most of the wealthy ones drove some sort of BMW. (Is it kind of a coincidence that I hated most of the BMW drivers? :D)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Aside from OH's astute observation, there's no answer to that question.

I know kids who are into Jeeps, kids who are into old-school sports cars, high-end British sports cars, kids who would like a Range Rover, a BMW, kids who would like a Beetle... totally depends on the kid.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My fourteen-year-old is too young to drive on the roads in the UK. He has a compact tractor but longs for a backhoe. He doesn't care what car he ends up with so long as it drives.

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods, teenagers love SUV-ish vehicles. Something that sits higher than a regular car, but not too big otherwise it loses its cuteness.
a 4-door Wrangler would be a good one. Trendy, pricey without being obnoxious, and definitely cool.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Among the most common teen-driven vehicles where I live (Anchorage, Alaska) are small, cheap pickup trucks. With only two doors, these wouldn't fit your needs, I suppose. They're also dangerous as hell, especially in winter with slick roads. Then they become the most popular form of off-road vehicles.

caw

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
I was told that Chrysler 300's are the in thing with youngsters as it can be customed so easily. It also looks sharp and has 4 doors. I believe it's also a great gangsta mobile.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Hello, can someone tell me what kind of cars do teenagers like to drive the most? I am looking for something that has four doors because one of my characters’ friends are in the car with her during an important conversation. She is also wealthy and a bit spoiled.

Can we get some more detail, please? Location would be a great start.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score

Assuming wealthy means spending $50-100k is no biggie.

(Can't go wrong with) BMW (3 or 6 series); Baby Benz (A or C Class), AMG Mercedes, Range Rover (if said kids like off-road activities.)

nikkidj

Registered
Reaction score
Location is going to really impact the answer to this question. Here in Indiana, the wealthier school district high school parking lots are filled with Beemers, Mercedes, Audis, and Land Rovers, but you're also going to find the jacked-up pick-up trucks on chrome rims, Jeep Wranglers to go off-roading and mudding, and big-ol Duelies to haul horses and boats.

The type of character also comes into play. A princess who rides in equestrian competitions might be proud to own a Ram, while a cheerleader who does pageants might want a little classic Mustang convertible to ride around in parades. A hunter might want a Jeep or some other 4x4 to get around the woods.

Figure out your character, and you'll figure out the car.

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
Not that I know all that many teenagers, but the American teenager has kind of fell out of love with the car. Of the kids I know through my friends and church very few of them were in a hurry to get their license. Essentially you can't waste time on your phone while you're driving, and since so much of their lives take place in the virtual world these days they don't care so much about getting their license.

One kid I know told me, "Why should I get a car when I have Call of Duty?"

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the kids round here seem to drive Vauxhall Corsas or Renault Clios

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
It varies. When my youngest son was still in the house, his favorite car of ours to drive was a 1994 Dodge Grand Voyager, a minivan that acted a bit like a truck.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
My nephew in the DC region is 16, and apparently in his circle the kids are all being pressed by their parents to learn to drive and get their licenses, but none of them are very enthusiastic about it. They have a strong preference instead for a car -- any car -- that's driven by Someone Else. A parent is fine. For those who have money for it, an Uber.

As MDSchafer points out, kids today conduct an awful lot of their social lives online. They don't need to drive somewhere, or even be in physical proximity, to have intense and constant social interaction.

Last edited:

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score

Following up my comment above -- do they have to be actually in a car? For a lot of teenagers these days, important conversations occur in text on their phones. Often in group chat. (The favored app changes every few months.)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, can someone tell me what kind of cars do teenagers like to drive the most?

Whatever mom has. :)

If she's being given her own car, make it whatever you want. She's rich, so a BMW or Lexus might be appropriate. Does your character like convertibles? Are they anywhere it rains? California sorority girls seem to like Jeep Wrangler soft tops in four door, 2 wheel drive models. More socially conscious girls might opt for a Prius. Flashy might be a BMW or Audi convertible.

Does it really matter what exact model she has for your story? And what model would your character choose? If you don't already know that, you really need to find out more about your character.

Jeff

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Following up my comment above -- do they have to be actually in a car? For a lot of teenagers these days, important conversations occur in text on their phones. Often in group chat. (The favored app changes every few months.)

Seconding this. My teenager is plugged in to at least 3 group chats at once, virtually all the time. I'm not exaggerating. They don't have to go anywhere to have a conversation because they are always having a conversation.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
My 16-year old son is about to get his license. His dream vehicle is a black Ford F150 Extended Cab Pickup. He's not getting one.

He says he'll settle for being allowed to drive my Mercedes. He's not getting that, either.

If he's lucky, we'll let him drive the 10-year old Toyota Sequoia. If he's lucky...

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
Wealthy and spoiled? Then luxury is probably what you're looking for, so I'd go for anything BMW and above. Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, all the high-end imported cars, that's what the rich kids in my hs liked to buzz around in.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Jeep without doors, no top.

MercyWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the help. My character is from a small southern town that I made up base on my own hometown. Her father spoils her. He is trying to make up for not being there for her. I do see her driving a BMW. Also, the question about does she needs a car? I think so. I have two important scene where she needs a car. One is when she is leaving school with her friends, and the other involve a car accident.