Not open for further replies.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
If I had a daughter...

I would have taken her fishing and hunting as my late dad did with me and as I did with my boys. It seems to me there have been a lot of young girls lately that have taken to the sports. There’s nothing like the piece and tranquility of blue Atlantic Ocean in a boat contemplating life and have a large Snapper, or Kingfish grab your bait. It is the same with sitting against a tree stump when your eyes focus on a trophy slipping through the brush. The peace found on open water and the wild wilderness and then eating the fish and game later is an experience in life that is hard for them to find now days. I’m constantly reminded of this every time I pick up the News Paper, or turn the TV News on.

Take your children out to experience life different from what the Ghetto offers. I’m too old to raise any more children.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed.

I've always been a fisherman (er-woman). My Grandfather and Father started taking us all out on the boats when we were little. I remember catching my first fluke and having to hold it by the gills to pose for the typical "prize catch" pictures.

There's nothing like being out on the ocean. Fishing or not, nothing like it.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm not a fisherman or a hunter and personally, I find fishing horribly boring, and the idea of being out in the woods with 100,000 drunks with guns scares the crap out of me. (Yes, I'm joking, please no hate PMs from hunters.)

My dad never took me out into nature and I don't think I turned out so bad.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter dumped all the worms into the water. That's when I decided she was going to take up golf, instead. But I'm plotting to get my oldest granddaughter out on the water ASAP.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
My dad never took me out into nature and I don't think I turned out so bad.

word.

But different things work for different people. Be a parent, be there, be good to your kids and families y'all.

This thread does make me wonder how I'll be if I have a daughter one fine day, which everyone in the family's kind of hoping, seeing as to how I have 3 older brothers and 3 nephews. It's looking like I'm the last hope for bringing a baby girl into the fam.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I've taken all my kids camping every year since they were, well, fetuses. It's something my SO and I have been doing since we were in our teens, and we saw no reason to stop when we had kids.

I think my kids have developed independence and resiliancy because we leave our city life behind once in a while. When faced with the cold showers and lack of top-notch sanitation facilities while travelling in other countries, they can say, "This isn't so bad. I've dealt with worse, and lived to tell the tale."

Calvin's dad was right--camping really does build character, as well as appreciation for the natural world.

And for me, I think I'd go crazy if I wasn't able to get away from the city several times a year.

As for fishing and hunting, we haven't fished in a while, though we've made a committment to do so this year. Never hunted, but I'd like to learn. Specifically, bow hunting. I have a friend who does it, and she hunts to put meat in the freezer, not just for fun.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
We take our boys out into nature all the time. Camping, fishing, walking in the woods, to parks, just to sit by the water, or whatever. It is part of how I grew up and a big part of my husband's upbringing and his life now. Almost all of his hobbies are outdoor-related. We enjoy it and it is wonderful family time. Mom sits on the bank with a book and a beer on a blanket getting sun, chasing the 1 year old, gets food ready, Dad takes the 3 year old out on the boat to fish. Whatever the activity may be that is suitable to your family, you should do it with your kids. And personally, I think those kinds of things are good for character building, independence, confidence, etc.
If we had girls instead of boys, we would be doing the same things. I'm sure of it and I'm glad my dad to me fishing as a kid. I never was a hunter, but I did my share of shooting as a kid and we always did the camping, fishing, float trip sorts of things. Ah...family time...I'm ready for the summer!

eta: Yeshanu - my husband loves to bow hunt. Prefers it to shot gun because it is more of a sport, he thinks, and yes, it does fill our freezer. I can cook venison-anything! And the venison sausage and jerky is awesome to take camping!

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Dad, me, and our great prairie-chicken conspiracy

Dad, me, and our great prairie-chicken conspiracy

It was during the summer trips to upper Michigan that I learned of the boyhood magic still hidden in my father. Although he punched a time clock in the suburban reaches of Detroit at one time, he also successfully owned an oil company and an electrical store and then later on, he sold out and bought land in Florida and moved there setting up orange groves and raising cattle. Dad had been reared in the days before the great depression and learned to make do with life as it comes along with what he had available. I spent the many summers of my adolescence with him, eating up miles of dusty roads as we searched for grand adventures.

The sometimes work trips to the North was more organized than our usual excursions, with his constant need to work, but my father always enjoyed an opportunity to teach me the skills of the wild. After a few days of working the tasks he set for doing, Dad always developed an itch to get away from the usual chores he set out to do. This was usually a tread through the wild woods to see what it was like, a trip to the lake for fishing or at sometimes a hunting trip for what ever was available and in season.

It seemed my father and I had made a new friend as we ventured out to see what we could find, for me it was the venture, for him it was the bonding of Father & Son. It always became a spontaneous escapade poorly planed, fuzzy in purpose perfect for adventure. We fished or hiked most of the afternoons until near dusk and returned with the adventure’s find for the evening.

It was the usual find, the adventure of Paul Bunyan & his Babe, the Blue Ox & the tales of the old logging days of the wilds of northern Michigan. The running of the smelt & fishing all night long with a bonfire always, the man in the waist high rubber waders that had a little too much to drink and almost drowned. The local Indians and listening to the tales they had. My adventures of first shooting a “Real” gun. The building of the cabin and the team of horses used, the dogs brought to the camp, the black bear meandering through the camp & scaring us all.

The wilds of the northern Michigan woods were at first new to me, with the forest floor littered with years of fallen trees toppled one on top of the other due to age, weather or logging episodes. They rest there rotting on the floor with years of forest growth generating soil on top and new growth of trees growing everywhere. The forest was of a dense growth of pines, poplar and willows sometimes broken by earlier logging and tree stumps. There would be deep holes where a tree had fallen with the roots torn out of the ground leaving a hole filed with water. This left exploring hard work but a young boy’s imagination ran rampant with wonder.

When winter left a very heavy snowfall, we would go hunting for deer early in the morning. Sitting for hours near a deer run left me numb looking for the ghost like images of dear passing nearby enjoying the dead quiet of the winter with the noise of a rabbit thumping his hind foot somewhere.

One day he decided to buy a Bow & Arrow Rig and see how he and I could do with it. Neither of us ever dreamed we could ever use it with any skill. My Father and I peering into the forest, wandered out to see what tree stump we could kill in practice for that big day with the big game.

We decided on a stump of extreme importance, one of great stature, one that might be a little tough to eat, a trophy at the most. Suddenly, he drew still while aiming his bow & arrow at the stump and turned to me with a smile on his face that drew my attention and with a finger to his lips, commanded silence. He was peering into the dense forest, looking for something my city eyes could not see. His hand gently withdrew the bowstring never taking his eyes off of the trophy he was aiming for. For a few seconds he stood as still as the forest surrounding us, and my mind flashed with the many stories I had heard of his boyhood. I was seeing my father as a boy in his environment, learning the gifts he would eventually give me. The moment was electric. He let the string go and the arrow fly and a large bird fluttered around on the ground. A Grouse, Partridge or prairie chicken as it is called, flopped around on the ground. He had put an arrow right through the neck of that bird as though he had the skill of the ancient Indians of the territory.

Swiftly my father grabbed it by the head and flung it around until the faint crack of its neck signaled the bird’s demise. With hardly a word, my Father skinned and cleaned the bird. He secured some thin forked branches to make a spit and began roasting lunch over a fire as if this were our daily routine.

My friend and I stood in silent awe, broken only by the sweet smell of roasted prairie chicken. We ate and laughed and embellished the story, Dad cautioned that there was probably some ordinance against hunting grouse, so in the delightful conspiracy we all swore to silence.

I carefully tucked away that little snapshot of my Fathers youth and held onto it like a treasured gift. Now that he is gone as of one year this date, I take it out and give it to my family and wrap myself in his heritage. He died on March 15, 1998

The best gift my Father ever gave me was time by his side.

---------------------------------------------

I only posted this as an example of my life with my late dad. I don’t intend to publish it.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Recreational activities and athletic opportunities are much more gender balanced these days, and anyone would be remiss in not taking advantage of them. I like the idea of parent-child time-devotion. Jake and I go bowling every other weekend. That's our time to develop that close involvement wrapped in an enjoyable activity. His world is totally mine then, and mine is his. He also plays soccer and basketball, but that isn't the close one-on-one that we have with bowling. When he gets older, we'll probably get into other outdoor activities, probably fishing included. My daughter is three, so I anticipate finding a similar one-on-one activity with her soon.

Now, be aware this works both ways. I intend to help school both kids in how to cook and clean and take care of themselves as well. Helping a child develop independence and confidence includes not only outside activities, but also ones that revolve around basic life maintenance.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I don't condone killing anything, especially not "trophy" hunting.

Why not shoot with a camera, and let a beautiful animal live?

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
My dad raised us to respect nature, to love animals. We went hiking and camping every year, in Colorado, Utah, and other beautiful states. We admired the wildflowers, the mountains and the animals.

To see a deer, or a mountain lion, or a moose or huge elk in its natural habitat is a precious gift.

I can't imagine watching an Elk graze, nibbling at flowers, ears twitching; and then aiming a gun at it. After it falls, we can all drag it's dead carcass back to the truck, and gut it for the ride home, or just hack it's entire head off and take it back to "Macks Taxidermy Hut."

Kind of ruins the whole idea of appreciating nature.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Some people eat what they kill. My uncle Nicky kills a buck every year with a bow, not a rifle. Then spends the winter eating it. I have no problem with hunting, as long as you eat what you take. Otherwise, there is no reason.

I spent my entire childhood fishing with my pops, bass fishing in Kansas. I didn't fish so much as follow him around and chuck rocks in the water. It wasn't until I was older that I figured out why he never caught anything when I was there. If I could go back to those days, even for a second, I would.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
tiny terror said:
Some people eat what they kill. My uncle Nicky kills a buck every year with a bow, not a rifle. Then spends the winter eating it. I have no problem with hunting, as long as you eat what you take. Otherwise, there is no reason.

I agree. I hate trophy hunting, but in general I have no problem with hunters who eat what they kill. When I was a kid my dad was often laid off, so we ate a lot of deer meat, and we lived on a lake so we went fishing every day in the summer. We usually just caught small bass thru the cracks in the dock and then threw them back - so we could catch them again the next day.

Both my husband and I grew up on the lake, and the surrounding woods really were our play ground. We wanted the same experience for our kids, so we bought a tiny 2 room cottage. This is my favourite place in the entire universe -entirely surrounded by water, and the only neighbours are a nest of bald eagles - which return year after year.

The cabin itself is not insulated, it does not have indoor plumbing or electricity. The small shed at the back, has a composting toilet (not even for nostalgia s sake would I go back to using an outhouse) and a cold water shower, which to my knowledge only my husband has ever used. We do have a generator which pumps water to the storage tank above the shed, but since I have no clue how to work it, if the tank is empty, I send the kids to the lake with a bucket to get some water for me.

I cook on a propane burner and a barbeque. I do have a propane fridge, but for the first few years I just had a cooler. No tv, only a radio and one of my great pleasures is staying tucked inside when it rains, lighting the enormous cast iron cook stove for warmth (and for coffee) and playing cards or a board game with my family. Life just doesn t get any better. However the kids are now at an age where hanging out with their parents is great - for an hour and a half. I don t know how I m going to deal with that.

rich

I'm a city boy who should've been born and raised in the country. I have one daughter. I've taken her fishing a number of times when she was a kid. She enjoyed the two of us "hangin'" more than she enjoyed fishing. She's married now, a high school teacher, and coach of a soccer varsity team. She's five months away from giving me a grandchild. I'm hoping for a girl.

I'm still fishing--sometimes saltwater, sometimes fresh, sometimes both in the same day.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
You got a problem with the ghetto?

There's no peace and tranquility like taking martial arts and self-defense classes with your child so you can make sure they can handle themselves on the mean streets.

Drinking malt liquor with your child is a great bonding tool. I remember the day I downed my first forty by myself... My mom was so proud.

Each year at Christmas, the concealed weapons are left by Santa. Pepper spray for the girls, and switchblades for the boys. The occasional nunchuku keep things interesting.

And nothing teaches you to respect your education like watching all the idiots around you that drop out and fall into drugs. You, you're so cool now Bobby... You and your stanky apartment and fourth wife by thirty... Alimony that would make you a debtor if you were a millionaire, which you'll never be because you're a drop-out fry cook at Hooter's... Really taught us observant folks to respect family values.

Why do you have to kill things that don't shoot back? Here in the ghetto, when we're assaulting the living things around us, they assault right back. Peace and tranquility with your high-powered rifle in a deer blind while unloading into the side of a terrified, defenseles buck that couldn't charge you if he tried? Sounds like the peace and tranquility Dung Pham thought he'd get from me before I slammed his head into the pavement. Nothing brings peace like taking down bullies before they can pull their weapon on you.

The ghetto is the place of peace and tranquility.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Pam:

I understand where you’re coming from and it’s a beautiful theme to respect nature. I know, but how do you respect nature if you don’t respect nature’s way?

Since the beginning of time, nature’s way was to kill fast and eat all of what you kill. This has been the customs of the natives throughout the world and I haven spoken to our own native Indians, their belief was eating the kill be it animal, or vegetable, enriches your body and soul.

Honorable sportsmen hunt and fish only for what they can eat in a day, or so. In the supermarkets we buy food to store for a week, or more, be it animal, or vegetable. I try to respect the choices of what others prefer to eat and how they get it as long as it is legal. I don’t think it is ugly to fish, or hunt for our food. I think it is a more honorable way that what has been raised and butchered for the supermarket.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
GPatten said:
Pam:

I understand where you’re coming from and it’s a beautiful theme to respect nature. I know, but how do you respect nature if you don’t respect nature’s way?

Since the beginning of time, nature’s way was to kill fast and eat all of what you kill. This has been the customs of the natives throughout the world and I haven spoken to our own native Indians, their belief was eating the kill be it animal, or vegetable, enriches your body and soul.

Honorable sportsmen hunt and fish only for what they can eat in a day, or so. In the supermarkets we buy food to store for a week, or more, be it animal, or vegetable. I try to respect the choices of what others prefer to eat and how they get it as long as it is legal. I don’t think it is ugly to fish, or hunt for our food. I think it is a more honorable way that what has been raised and butchered for the supermarket.

Thanks for saying all this. Having been raised eating everything from deer to rabbit, quail and pheasant, and plenty of fish my dad and uncles caught, and marrying a man who also hunts and fishes, I see nothing wrong with it. We eat it in my family. It is respect for nature, it is love of outdoors, it is an accomplishment to live off of the land whether you have a garden or kill your own food. JMO. And my husband, just as my father has more respect for the outdoors, the forests, the animals, than most people do! They have a lot of respect for the animals they hunt. (probably more so than people who stand opposed to hunting) because it feeds their families!

eta: I have a bowl full of fish fillets soaking in the fridge right now, from my husband fishing yesterday. They will be dinner tonight.

Last edited:

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
“Or just shoot the ugly animals and do us all a favor.”
124.gif
Wait a minute, you should only hook and shoot the tender little ones.

LOL

Last edited:

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com

Oh, I'm not saying supermarket hunting is any less cruel. I was a vegetarian for years, and still try not to eat much meat. I don't eat any pork.

If you eat the animals you hunt, that's a bit easier for me ot understand. But, many people here (in Mississippi) where I live, do not eat the deer they kill.

I can think of 3 examples of stories I have heard first hand this year:

A friend who's 13 year old son killed 3 deer this season. They didn't eat any of the meat. Also, they have fished in our ponds twice, and again .... told me later that they didn't eat the meat. (Nobody is fishing here ever again.)

A scuzzy camoflauged pock-faced "gentleman," at an auction house I frequent. His wife bragged that he bagged 7 deer this season so far (that was in FEB.,) and no, they don't eat the meat. Not sure what they do with it.

Within a mile of our house, an entire herd of deer were poached this winter. The carcasses were left to rot by the road. Recently, we saw a full grown deer carcass (sans head,) in the creek down the road.

The Post Office Clerk told us this past Monday, a gruesome story of having to bash opposums in the head, two last weekend, because they have been eating his catfood. He thinks its easier to kill the opposums, then it is to put the food out of their way.

I'm sure there are some honorable hunters, but I don't see any.

And, as far as big game goes; No. I think it should be outlawed.

Unless, like in Grizzly Man, you want to fight a bear a bear without a weapon. Then, we will again see who wins.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
eldragon said:
Within a mile of our house, an entire herd of deer were poached this winter. The carcasses were left to rot by the road. Recently, we saw a full grown deer carcass (sans head,) in the creek down the road.

That happened when I was a little girl in Jersey. The hunters formed a line and scarred them into a circle and shot them. Then they took the heads with chainsaws. My uncle Nick was sick over it as was my father.

I remember when my dad went out hunting every year. Warton State tract, right behind our house. He would spend weeks baiting and setting up his blind. Then he would go out and sit in the stand and never bring home a deer. He just sat in the woods. He felt no need to kill, because we had enough. He never killed anything when he hunted. I always thought it was because he wasn't skilled with a bow like Nicky. But I found out later from my mom that pops just wanted to be in the forest. He's a hell of a guy.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a city dweller. I have fished for Kingfish -and eaten the catch - in the Caribbean. I had great times with my dad fly fishing in rivers in Scotland where we hadn't a hoot in hell of catching anything. Just the thrill of fishing in the silence of a glen till we couldn't see anything and packed up before we hooked ourselves, and in the country on picnics, but no forests with animal varieties such as you folks in the US.

Thanks for letting me share your wonderful memories, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.