Disabling interior trunk release button

SML7318

Registered
Reaction score
How easy would it be to disable the interior trunk release button of a car? The car can be either modern or older, as long as it isn't too easy to kick down the back seats, or too expensive for someone just in the workforce to afford.

Also, is this even possible for a semi-novice to do in two seconds, or is this something that would have to be done well in advance?

Thanks!

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If it's cable operated (most are), cut and remove a length of cable. If it's electric, and not fused, cut and remove lengths of the wires (all the wires) from the button/switch.

It'll depend upon what your story needs, but I'd caution you to not to over complicate the scenario.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess you are talking about preventing someone inside the boot from getting out.

Where does the 'two seconds' come from?

SML7318

Registered
Reaction score
I guess you are talking about preventing someone inside the boot from getting out.

Where does the 'two seconds' come from?

Yes. The two seconds comes from being caught off guard by someone's presence.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You are aware that more recent cars also have an emergency release in the trunk itself, right? I'm not sure what year they first were mandated but they are required in the U.S. now.

As to disabling the button or latch by the driver's seat, you can disconnect the cable. It would take a few minutes and some tools though as you aren't going to be able to just grab it and yank it loose. You could also cut it if you have a sharp and strong enough cutting tool. Not a pocket knife but more of a cable cutter or something.

If it is electrical pulling the fuse would require knowing what fuse to pull and it may also turn off some other system as well.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to drop by and say that I saw this thread title and totally though it referred to trunked novels and imagined you had an emergency situation developing with abandoned novels flying out of the trunk every which way and you desperately needed to get them back in.

So, yeah. :nothing

I really can't help with trunk releases except that I was in a car recently and broke the gas door release by accidentally stepping on the lever. I don't know that I can think of many trunk releases that would be located on the driver-side floor, but I'd second blacbird and ironmikezero in saying you can probably just mention it quickly. It sounds like this would be a tense situation so better not to risk bogging the narrative down.

Good luck! Keep that trunk firmly locked. We've all got stuff in there shouldn't see the light of day. East River's that way.

SML7318

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to drop by and say that I saw this thread title and totally though it referred to trunked novels and imagined you had an emergency situation developing with abandoned novels flying out of the trunk every which way and you desperately needed to get them back in.

So, yeah. :nothing

I really can't help with trunk releases except that I was in a car recently and broke the gas door release by accidentally stepping on the lever. I don't know that I can think of many trunk releases that would be located on the driver-side floor, but I'd second blacbird and ironmikezero in saying you can probably just mention it quickly. It sounds like this would be a tense situation so better not to risk bogging the narrative down.

Good luck! Keep that trunk firmly locked. We've all got stuff in there shouldn't see the light of day. East River's that way.

Haha.

Thanks again, everyone.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
If it's mechanical with a pull hammer a pair of wire cutters could fist that real quick.

I also thought of just using a hammer to smash the button for an electrical push button.

Honestly though, I think a lot of them are gonna be mechanical though.