How to submit illustrated novels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinsune

Registered
Reaction score
I might be posting this in the wrong place, so forgive me. Basically I'm writing an episodic middle grade book (it's a fantasy story), and I want illustrations in it. I'm an art student, so I can do them myself, but the thing is how would I submit this to small presses?

I'm also interested in subbing to Arthur Levine, but I'm not sure how to go about submitting it. Would I follow the guidelines for a manuscript or the guidelines for illustrations.

I realize publishers usually assign artists to writers, but there are a few writers who also illustrate their own work. How do they do this?

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Hmm... This submission sounds uncouth but not impossible. You might have to wing it. I've not heard of unpublished authors submitting an MS with illustrations included.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. I really don't know and Google brought up nothing useful for me.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
As you say, publishers usually assign illustrators to authors. Are you dead set on fulfilling both roles? If it was written by you and illustrated by someone else, would you feel like you hadn't met your goal? If so, look into self-publishing.

If not, treat the two separate issues as two separate issues. Get a publisher interested in your book, and then begin the discussion of your desire to self-illustrate. Try to remain satisfied even if all they buy is your writing.

NDoyle

Writer, Editor, Photographer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.noreen-doyle.com
A publisher (or agent who accepts author/illustrators) will have guidelines for this sort of situation. (I have just checked Arthur Levine's.) Since you are offering, first and foremost, an illustrated text, I would follow the guidelines for a novel but mention illustrations in the cover letter and, as they specify, either provide a link to an online portfolio with samples of the relevant illustrations or include (placed after the manuscript sample pages) printed copies of no more than three illustrations.

Don't try to embed the illustrations within the text unless they are genuinely integral to the written word (e.g., the Whimpy Kid series).

Edited to add: as the others said, ordinarily the publisher decided if a book will be illustrated and what artist will create them. Even many picture books start off as manuscripts of pure text by writers who will not (or even cannot!) illustrate them.

Last edited:

Jinsune

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Gale Haut, kevinwaynewwilliams and NDoyle. I'll definitely take your advice and tread lightly with this. Getting the agent/publisher interested in the writing is first and foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.