Press Interns doing news reporting?

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
I have a small art auction in NYC--with items starting from several hundred dollars--and I need a news reporter of sort to be there. I suppose his or her job isn't really reporting, but to gather data and maybe snap some photos. It won't be from the big outlets like New York Times or NY Post, etc. Most likely from one of the neighborhood new sites or niche mags. But still I doubt very much if they will send reporters to these trivial events. Is it plausible that they send interns? What about correspondents (and what are they really)?

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I interned with a local newspaper when I was 17 or so. Yes, I did contribute articles to the paper, but they were mostly events the reporters didn't want to cover - a new playgroup initiative, repairs to the church tower, that kind of thing.

Of course, that's when they still had small local newspapers, but I suspect the situation hasn't changed much.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I know nothing about the New York news world, or, indeed, big cities in general, but if there was some sort of a neighbourhood connection to the auction, a local artist, a well-known local seller, or someone who used the neighbourhood in their art, i.e. some sort of local interest, I can imagine a local paper or website being interested. Especially if there's nothing more remarkable going on: no local celebration, political event, etc.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cath and frimble.

It's good to know. I'm going to create a local neighborhood/lifestyle e-mag and have them send an intern to the event.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
It is a live event, not a past one. The problem is that it is not big enough to draw attention from large press outlets and for my story an intern (if plausible) will be more suitable.

But I will give a blogger some thoughts. It's a solution. Thanks for the input.

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
I think you misunderstood me.

I was a reporter for almost a decade. Newspapers and magazines would rather preview events for their reader rather than cover them and by the time your story is produced the event is over. Unless something special happened, or its a big event that lots of people care about, there's not a lot of purpose in telling readers what they missed.

Typically newspapers and especially magazines, only cover really popular events and sports, because everyone cares about sports. Do enough people care about small art auctions? Probably not. Could a blogger whose interested in a particular painter show up? Absolutely. If you really want a reporter to be there, an believable way to do it is to have a reporter who keeps an art blog. Lots of reporters keep blogs these days, and most of them are passion projects. While I was covering hard news I kept a blog about Indycar. I know a sports editor who does a flower blog.

Last edited:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
This hobbyist/blogger on the side idea is brilliant. Thank you for bringing it up.

I actually prefer an intern to be there. A niche item is sold and the winning bidder is a mogul who "hates reporters." After realizing the item is sold by a struggling charity the mogul agrees to do an interview to help out the charity. So maybe the intern is given some trivial events to cover/collect info and she picks (or spends the most time at) the art auction because of her personal interest and/or hobby.