View Full Version : Response time for clips?

04-05-2006, 09:47 PM
I've heard several times that editors can take months to reply to queries ... but how about when they request clips and you send those off via email?

04-05-2006, 10:28 PM
It depends on the editor/publication. I'd wait a few days and if I didn't hear anything, would probably send a brief, polite message asking if they arrived.

Even then, there's no guarantee that the editor will respond quickly; and some editors are really quick to respond! Back to my first sentence--it depends. :)

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck with whatever/whoever you're sending the clips!

ETA: When did you send them?

04-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Let's see, I sent the initial query three weeks ago, and she responded within minutes. :O She asked for clips, and I sent her some links to stories I've done for my regular client, as well as a .doc file for a story that only just hit the press (so I didn't have an actual copy to show her).

Then it occoured to me, maybe I offended her by sending a .doc file that was only sort-of solicited. XD Not to mention, that sort of thing can get caught by spam filters. So I wrote a small apology about that, and said that if she wanted me to re-send the clips (in case the spam filter caught them), to let me know. That was ... about a week ago, I think. Haven't heard anything one way or the other. :(

04-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Give it a couple of weeks longer, then send along a polite note. It's possible the editor's gone on vacation, been sick or away from work for some reason. If that doesn't get a response, I'd forget it and move on to other things (but you've already moved on to other things, right? :D ). Just don't be surprised if you get a response weeks or maybe even months from now. It happens.

Hang in there. :)

04-08-2006, 06:38 AM
Yeah, I'd moved on because I had a very busy week. But now things have slowed down and I'm looking for more jobs, sooooo... XD