Response time for clips?

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard several times that editors can take months to reply to queries ... but how about when they request clips and you send those off via email?

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
It depends on the editor/publication. I'd wait a few days and if I didn't hear anything, would probably send a brief, polite message asking if they arrived.

Even then, there's no guarantee that the editor will respond quickly; and some editors are really quick to respond! Back to my first sentence--it depends. :)

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck with whatever/whoever you're sending the clips!

ETA: When did you send them?

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Let's see, I sent the initial query three weeks ago, and she responded within minutes. :O She asked for clips, and I sent her some links to stories I've done for my regular client, as well as a .doc file for a story that only just hit the press (so I didn't have an actual copy to show her).

Then it occoured to me, maybe I offended her by sending a .doc file that was only sort-of solicited. XD Not to mention, that sort of thing can get caught by spam filters. So I wrote a small apology about that, and said that if she wanted me to re-send the clips (in case the spam filter caught them), to let me know. That was ... about a week ago, I think. Haven't heard anything one way or the other. :(

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Give it a couple of weeks longer, then send along a polite note. It's possible the editor's gone on vacation, been sick or away from work for some reason. If that doesn't get a response, I'd forget it and move on to other things (but you've already moved on to other things, right? :D ). Just don't be surprised if you get a response weeks or maybe even months from now. It happens.

Hang in there. :)

BlueBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd moved on because I had a very busy week. But now things have slowed down and I'm looking for more jobs, sooooo... XD