Dante Alighieri's hat

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - I thought this info would be a bit easier to google, and I'm hoping someone can help...

There are a couple of depictions of Dante Alighieri, and in at least one of them he's wearing the following headgear - a kind of white cap with earflaps whose strings are undone, and over that a red cap. Does anybody know what either of those hats are called (and if there is a name for the combination)?

thanks very much -
LN

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
The white cap is a linen coif. The red cap might be a sock hat? Or a simple Chaperon that's not been wrapped up? Hard to tell from the photos of the paintings.

There's a whole host of Renaissance men's headgear...

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great name for a novel though - Dante's Hat. ;)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
That's a damned good question. The answer probably is somewhere online, but I couldn't find it; although I found places to buy fair imitations of it.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
***** ignore me - I'm still working on a really funny line.. ******

ETA: The Aristocrats.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The coif is the white linen skullcap worn under all headgear.

That's no chaperon. A chaperon is a huge confection, but its ancestor is a simple hood with a long point (a "liripipe") in back and a dagged shoulder cape -- except that the face opening goes over the top of the head instead of around the face and the dagged cape and long point hang down arranged in various ways.

Some clever dandy thought of it, and it became its own stylized headgear with a padded doughnut around the crown which used to be the face opening of a simple hood, and a little scalloped scarf to one side which used to be the shoulder cape and a long tube of what used to be the liripipe draped over a shoulder.

There are no depictions of Dante from his own lifetime. All later depictions show him with a white coif and a simple red pointed cap with the point a little droopy and the brim turned up. I suspect it was a Renaissance idea of "simple headgear of the remote past," since his garments are also usually depicted as vaguely classical and of no particular time.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
OH CRAP! I have a floor to mop, a room to vacuum and Easter dinner to make BUT I cannot tear myself away from the medieval hats! Curses on you, Layla! Curses and that big stupid looking Rembrandt fur hat! I must read more about it. --s6

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
The coif is the white linen skullcap worn under all headgear.
... A chaperon is a huge confection,

Yep. Someone upthread also said coif. Lots of google picture there.

um... I had said that the "chaperon" is different from what I had in mind, eg different from that 'Dante hat'. I'm guessing you read me to be saying that I thought that 'chaperon' was the name for 'Dante's hat' (as depicted)

The only period name I've easily found is 'chaperon' but that's too big and fancy for my man.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
OH CRAP! I have a floor to mop, a room to vacuum and Easter dinner to make BUT I cannot tear myself away from the medieval hats! Curses on you, Layla! Curses and that big stupid looking Rembrandt fur hat! I must read more about it. --s6

The Devil makes me do many wicked things.

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
Dante's hat annoyed me so much. I couldn't figure it out. I wound up ignoring it entirely when I had to draw him over and over again for a thing I was doing.

<----- hatless traumatized Dante is my current profile pic