Timing submissions & festival months - UK

Matthew James Hunt

Registered
Reaction score
In going through all UK agents' websites, there's been a couple that have said, 'please don't submit in April or October, when book festivals take place'. On asking an experienced author, she said that on top of that, January and September are bad months to submit.
So, agents, what are the actual practical logistics with this?
How does it work with you in processing submissions and working during festival season?
Can good work really get lost because of this?
I'm desperate to submit, but it's the beginning of April, so I'm holding off.
Is it wise to hold off submitting to even those who don't say don't submit in festival seasons?
What say you, agents?
Cheers.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've heard that "everyone" in New York publishing is away from their offices in August also, though of course agents can still go through queries on their laptops or phones when they're out and about.

Maybe they're more prone to trash maybes or not reply to nos during these times, or if they get back and have a huge pile of unopened slush, they may rush through it more quickly than usual and be less inclined to read accompanying pages unless they're really interested? I don't know. I haven't seen any agencies here in the US that say not to submit during specific months, though some agents/acencies will temporarily close to submissions for varying reasons. Then they'll usually just say, "we're not accepting unsolicited submissions at this time."

Last edited:

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Don't query if they specifically say don't query, but most UK agencies have a 4 week to 8 week turn around anyway, so you may as well join the queue.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If they say they don't want submissions in particular periods, respect that.

Otherwise, send your submissions out as soon as they're ready. Delaying it will only delay their responses.

Matthew James Hunt

Registered
Reaction score
OK. I'll hold off on those that say to, but will carry on submitting otherwise. Cheers all.