William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
SAN DIEGO -- In the wake of last week's immigration-reform protests, one school district is taking drastic measures, banning all symbols of patriotism, both U.S. and Mexican.

Beginning Monday, the Oceanside Unified School District is banning all flags and patriotic clothing. According to school officials, some students are using the garments and flags to taunt classmates.

Some critics of the move are calling it a violation of free speech protections guaranteed by the Constitution.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/8439483/detail.html

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
So what is next? No religion, no patriotism. . . how about banning sports affiliations?

Their in San Diego right? I say they ban Dodger hats from school.

Maybe they should ban trademarks. . . therefore there would be no dissention among the kids who are pro nike, and those who are pro reebok. Coke v. Pepsi wars? A plague on our nation. . . we must standardize! RC Cola for All.

Eh.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Eddie Izzard: "Watch out California ... you can't smoke in bars and soon it will be no drinking and no talking."

That sums up the current fervor.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
y jole. I understand wanting to quell dangerous situations, but suppressing conflict through such ridiculous measures is moronic. Doesn't do the kids any good, doesn't reflect well on the school, just a bad move all around.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Oceanside is a military town (it's right next to Camp Pendleton, the big Marine base). This ought to go over well there.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]". . . In the absence of a specific showing of constitutionally valid reasons to regulate their speech, students are entitled to freedom of expression of their views." [/font]​

[font=Arial, Helvetica]— Justice Fortas, speaking for the majority, Tinker vs. Des Moines[/font]​

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Hmmm, seems to me that the school district is part of the government. If so, then it's clearly running afoul of the First Amendment.

Spiritwriter

Registered
Reaction score
In California, IMHO the schools were overwhelmed and unprepared to handle the situation. We have two completly different mindsets at work here, and unfortunately, not all leaders are adequate to the task at hand.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
In California, IMHO the schools were overwhelmed and unprepared to handle the situation.this may well be true, but it seems to me that the answer is not to err on the side of censorship.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Why are people protesting the crackdown on illegal aliens wearing the Mexican flag (or symbols) at all? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to wear the American flag (symbols/colors etc) to show that they REALLY want to stay and that they want to become legal residents of the United States? Can someone please explain that?

If I snuck into a foreign country illegally and they were trying to force me back to a country I was willing to break the law to avoid, I don't see how wrapping myself in the flag of my former country is the best way to convince the foreign country to keep me....and forgive me of my illegal status....

But then, maybe I'm missing something....???

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
exactly, Immortal! That's what I keep saying, if you love Mexico so much, go back! If you really do love America, respect it.

I bet if a group of us went to Mexico and started waving American flags, demanding fair treatment there, free medical care and free education for our children (IN ENGLISH!!) -- they would throw our sorry A$$es so fast into jail or back across this way - faster than we can say Chalupa or Chihuahua!

As for the ban on flag and patriotic attire - that's ok for now - 99% of them are wearing Mexican slogans and waving Mexican flags

Something scared me last Friday when I asked a couple of girls to respect the American flag that they were dragging around in the street.
Read here: A Frightening Event

eta: "girls" above keeps coming out as "s" only - even after two attempts at fixing it. Hope it changes now.

Last edited:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My-Immortal said:
Why are people protesting the crackdown on illegal aliens wearing the Mexican flag (or symbols) at all? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to wear the American flag (symbols/colors etc) to show that they REALLY want to stay and that they want to become legal residents of the United States? Can someone please explain that?

If I snuck into a foreign country illegally and they were trying to force me back to a country I was willing to break the law to avoid, I don't see how wrapping myself in the flag of my former country is the best way to convince the foreign country to keep me....and forgive me of my illegal status....

word life...

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Jcomp said:
word life...

Can you explain this? If you're making a point, I'm missing what it is. Thanks.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind that I’m not American, and I know how much you lot love your flag and all. But I send my kids to school to learn, in the hope that they will be safe and free from harassment (naïve possibly, but that is the ideal). If students insist on harassing each other despite warnings, by all means remove the offending object, piece of clothing, whatever, that is the catalyst for their bad behaviour. School is a privilege, not a right (think suspension or expulsion). Most schools already have a dress code, pathetic as it might be (no bare midriffs, no t-shirts covered in profanity, and so on).

Can you tell that I would support school uniforms? BTW, I don’t think they’re being patriotic, either group, I think they’re being antagonistic.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My-Immortal said:
Can you explain this? If you're making a point, I'm missing what it is. Thanks.

my bad. "Word life" basically means "I agree wholeheartedly." Must've forgot which MB I was on. :)

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
CaroGirl said:
Keep in mind that I’m not American, and I know how much you lot love your flag and all.

Can you tell that I would support school uniforms? BTW, I don’t think they’re being patriotic, either group, I think they’re being antagonistic.

And you don't love your flag? Is it not meaningful to you? Just curious - not trying to be snide.

I think you're probably right about it not being about patriotism but rather as a way to be antagonistic - I was just curious as to the reasons why a Mexican flag would used to make the statement that illegal aliens should be allowed to stay in the United States and to become legal residents.

Take care all -

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Jcomp said:
my bad. "Word life" basically means "I agree wholeheartedly." Must've forgot which MB I was on. :)

Thanks. :) I've got a headache today and I was really trying to figure out your reply. LOL

take care all -

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

If my daughter were in this school I'd send her to school wearing a burka made from a communist flag...and if they complained about that I'd come to school dressed like Uncle Sam and I'd stand in the principals office singing the Star Spangled Banner, and if they complained about that.........
( I will not rant today...I WILL NOT RANT!!!!!)

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
CaroGirl said:
Keep in mind that I’m not American, and I know how much you lot love your flag and all.

hold on, here...

I'm Canadian, married to a happy American and living in Pennsylvania. I asked my hubby to put up both flags in front of the house and he did so - making sure that mine was to the right of the American flag (when you walk down the driveway) in agreement with the way the flag is supposed to be displayed. He's a vet, so he knew of such things.

Sure, I could have tossed a hissy fit and told him that I wanted it on the other side, but I respect the American flag as much as I do my own - and to insinuate that Canadians don't love our flag as much as an American is really doing us Canucks a disservice. And if you don't love your country's flag as much as an American, then you do have a problem.

but RESPECT the country you're in. I may toot the Canadian anthem on Canada Day but I stand proud when the American anthem is played because it's a country that allowed me to enter, get married and start a career. I'm not going to dump where I eat, to put it in plainer words.

sayeth the proud Canuck with the Pernament Resident Card.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
My-Immortal said:

of course, it would make sense if they were actually embracing america for what it is. but they're not.

http://ccir.net/AUDIO/TakeoverOfAmericaCD/Menu.html

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My-Immortal said:
And you don't love your flag? Is it not meaningful to you? Just curious - not trying to be snide.
My flag? It’s just a leaf, really, but I do have a sort of visceral attachment to it, considering I’ve lived under it my whole life. It does stir my innards when I see it flying at international events like the Olympics. I am certainly proud to be a Canadian, if that’s what you’re asking.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
so what if a bunch of americans who didn't have the legal right to be in your country came there, took to the streets demanding rights, used the maple leaf as a gag in their mouths, displayed it upside down, and raised an american flag at a public institution above your flag?

all the while claiming that the southern region of your country belonged to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.