PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: Everything you Ever Wanted to Know About Cape Etiquette

AW Admin
04-01-2015, 11:02 AM
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim

Superman, back in the day, wore a cape mostly because the "strongman" at the circus wore a cape.

Today, the mature superhero avoids capes as a professional hazard, in part because of the tragic incident in 1957, April 23rd, when Stratogale's cape was caught in a jet turbine.

Capes are so yesterday today. Like tights, they're best avoided by the fashion conscious professional superhero.

—"Costume is a bit much. So tight! But the confidence...I can feel the righteousness surging!" Loki as Captain America

slhuang
04-01-2015, 11:34 AM
I must disagree with the esteemed AW Admin.

Capes are necessary for the field, for such purposes as swishing dramatically, standing in an imposing silhouette with a non-spandex element to be rippled by the requisite invisible wind, and striding off into the distance with appropriate theatricality.

Cape incidents are entirely preventable. All documented cases are stark examples of the victim not practicing proper cape safety. For true superheroes it is second nature to operate under the rules of cape safety at all times.

On the other hand, I fully support tights as a personal superhero decision depending on powers and daily activities.

KokkieH
04-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Capes can also be highly functional. What with intelligent nano-fabrics capes can become bullet- and fireproof, or even rearrange their molecular structure to become rigid for use as a glider for those superheroes who don't have the power of flight.

And when perching menacingly on the edges of tall buildings they help keep the wind out - we do this to catch bad guys, not colds.

onesecondglance
04-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Capes are passé. Duster coats, that's where it's at.

dpaterso
04-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Modern capes are fitted with Velcro fasteners so they can pop off easily if tugged or tangled. The latest imports from China are fitted with miniature fans so the cape always flaps at an heroic angle even when there's no actual breeze.

-Derek

ap123
04-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Capes are more important than ever. With no phone booths to change in, the cape serves a higher purpose of discretion and distraction.

Bonus points if the cape is fully sequined and beaded.

kkbe
04-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Another use of the cape is to render the wearer invisible, a la Harry Potter. Right now, I am wearing such a cape, as evidenced in the short video clip below:

:e2moon:

Unfortunately, the cape doesn't quite cover everything. I gotta watch that.

Cathy C
04-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Any ordinary human can wear tights. Just look at a typical yoga class. But a cape! Now, that screams "I fight for justice!" It's like a proud flag waving. People like flags. :)

Helix
04-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Cape Etiquette? That's near Cape Fear, isn't it?

Alessandra Kelley
04-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Capes are excellent at keeping insects at bay.

KokkieH
04-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Another use of the cape is to render the wearer invisible, a la Harry Potter. Right now, I am wearing such a cape, as evidenced in the short video clip below:

:e2moon:

Unfortunately, the cape doesn't quite cover everything. I gotta watch that.

You're confusing capes and cloaks. Wizards wear cloaks, but so do supervillains. Are you trying to tell us something?

Maggie Maxwell
04-01-2015, 05:46 PM
And don't forget the necessity for capes as warmth on cold nights stalking on windy rooftops. Cape: Windbreaker, insulator, and dramatic brooding tool.

AW Admin
04-01-2015, 09:14 PM
The latest imports from China are fitted with miniature fans so the cape always flaps at an heroic angle even when there's no actual breeze.

That's not a fan, sir. It's another reason to never have a cape near a flame source.

Cyia
04-02-2015, 05:37 AM
Real heroes don't need capes. They're devices of overcompensation for the weak!

Ari Meermans
04-02-2015, 05:41 AM
Dunno about that, but they're a major pain when you're trying to navigate a crosswind. just sayin'

shakeysix
04-02-2015, 06:25 AM
You will notice that Wonder Woman has opted for a shorter, sportier cape while Superman clings to the old full length style--easier to teethe on, I suppose--s6

slhuang
04-02-2015, 07:06 AM
Dunno about that, but they're a major pain when you're trying to navigate a crosswind. just sayin'

It's like motorcycling. You have to angle into the crosswind. *nods*

poetinahat
04-02-2015, 07:13 AM
I think if the superhero's intended activities can be classed as 'capers', then capes would be de rigueur.

Even the French Foreign Legion had those mini-capes on their hats.

benbradley
04-02-2015, 07:56 AM
I Am Beaglebone. I wear a cape.