Army Reserve, do you keep your rank?

la-gamine

Child at Heart.
Registered
Reaction score
This would be the French army reserves to be specific. :)

I'll try to ask this as briefly as I can. I have a character who has been in the military actively for a number of years (starting university at 18 and going into the reserves at 26). Let's say he makes it to the rank of Captain (I can drop him down to lieutenant if needed).

After he goes into the reserves would he keep his rank? For example, if he were to be called into war would he still remain a Captain?

Also, any other tidbit information regarding the subject is appreciated as well.

Thank you!

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
So, speaking about US military, I THINK if you go from active duty to reserves you will keep rank but lose time in grade (that's for enlisted anyway). If it's been quite a while, and for some reason you re-up and they take you, I'm pretty sure you will lose grade.

You, I see, are talking about officers though. I am not certain about their situation, or the French! So, probably useless but I (for US anyway ) would be tempted to call a recruiter and just ask them! It's a good question.

You might also look for a board, like a vietnam vet board, and just ask them what you want to know. If you moved your story to the US, they would be a good source of military info. OTOH, maybe they have a board for french military as well? Good luck!

badwolf.usmc

#CustomUserTitle
Registered
Reaction score
For USMC reserve, you do not lose your rank or time in service. If you have a break in service, usually you'll lose your time in service but not your rank.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
thanks bad wolf! Just out of curiosity, is that true for both officers and enlisted? Would you not lose your rank if there was a significant break in service? More than just time? Very helpful info so thanks so much!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There might be another issue, about which I don't know in today's military. But when I served (1968-1971) you could get promoted to an "acting" rank, with pay and privileges accordingly, but that did not necessarily become your permanent rank. I in fact got offered an acting staff sergeant (E6) rank if I volunteered to extend my Vietnam tour; I was an E5 sergeant at the time. I thought about it for five or six seconds, and said no.

Sir.

I know of officers also who were accorded acting ranks above their permanent ranks. I think upon return to the states, they automatically reverted to their permanent rank.

How this affected reservist service, I don't know. Nor do I know if such practices continue today.

caw

Crayonz

Tribal Flame Warden Ducky
Registered
Reaction score
There might be another issue, about which I don't know in today's military. But when I served (1968-1971) you could get promoted to an "acting" rank, with pay and privileges accordingly, but that did not necessarily become your permanent rank. I in fact got offered an acting staff sergeant (E6) rank if I volunteered to extend my Vietnam tour; I was an E5 sergeant at the time. I thought about it for five or six seconds, and said no.

Sir.

I know of officers also who were accorded acting ranks above their permanent ranks. I think upon return to the states, they automatically reverted to their permanent rank.

How this affected reservist service, I don't know. Nor do I know if such practices continue today.

caw
In the US Army it still happens. Not sure how Active Duty does it now, but in the Reserves and Guard, you have roughly six months to find a unit that will take you at that rank and if you don't, then you revert back.

bombergirl - In the Guard/Reserves, if there's a significant break in service, you might lose some rank, but not all of it. A friend of mine left as an E5 then came back a few years later as an E4 and had to work his way back up to his old rank. It tends to be a case-by-case basis, but generally speaking, you're supposed to be able to keep your rank.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Old info here, but maybe helpful.

My Dad was an O-1 during WWII. He left active duty in 1946, but was still in the reserves. He re-activated in 1952, still as an O-1. He retired from active service in 1971 as an O-5 and those six years in the reserves counted towards his time served for retirement purposes.

MM

badwolf.usmc

#CustomUserTitle
Registered
Reaction score
thanks bad wolf! Just out of curiosity, is that true for both officers and enlisted? Would you not lose your rank if there was a significant break in service? More than just time? Very helpful info so thanks so much!

Not sure about officers, but i would imagine that it is the same, at least for the USMC.