Copyright Question

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I wish there were an "ask the lawyer" section, but I'll try this here.

I am about to publish (well, re-publish with a different publisher) a novel that contains a versification of "Be Thou My Vision." These are not the original lyrics to the hymn. In the story, the character has made up his own hymn based on the Gaelic chant, as he lives before it was ever versified. Consequently, the version I use is the result of my own versification which I based upon the 1905 English prose translation my Mary Byrne. Thus, the lyrics are similar to those of the traditional hymn, but they are not the same as those found in the hymn. I am wondering if this may pose a problem / copyright infringement concern. I guess this would qualify as a translation of a translation. I do explain in the notes to the book how I arrived at they lyrics to the altered hymn.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
skylarburris said:
I wish there were an "ask the lawyer" section, but I'll try this here.

I am about to publish (well, re-publish with a different publisher) a novel that contains a versification of "Be Thou My Vision." These are not the original lyrics to the hymn. In the story, the character has made up his own hymn based on the Gaelic chant, as he lives before it was ever versified. Consequently, the version I use is the result of my own versification which I based upon the 1905 English prose translation my Mary Byrne. Thus, the lyrics are similar to those of the traditional hymn, but they are not the same as those found in the hymn. I am wondering if this may pose a problem / copyright infringement concern. I guess this would qualify as a translation of a translation. I do explain in the notes to the book how I arrived at they lyrics to the altered hymn.

I'm not a lawyer, but I know that something from 1905 is public domain. As is the original Gaelic. I'd say you are in the clear. I haven't looked up the copyright on the usual lyrics - I have a hymnal at home - but that may be public domain too; I'm not sure. I'll post a follow-up when I can look it up.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
MadScientistMatt said:
I'm not a lawyer, but I know that something from 1905 is public domain. As is the original Gaelic. I'd say you are in the clear. I haven't looked up the copyright on the usual lyrics - I have a hymnal at home - but that may be public domain too; I'm not sure. I'll post a follow-up when I can look it up.

Something from 1905 is probably public domain. Some things aren't. This link

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter13/

contains information about written works and the stanford site apparently has references to musical works somewhere on it, but I haven't searched, since I don't write lyrics. See if it helps.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
You're rewriting in your own words the words to a hymn, based on something else (am I understanding that correctly?)

Copyright on hymns is almost never maintained (otherwise they'd whither and die - hymn book publishers rely on the vast source of public domain stuff to survive) and as this is over 75 years old the chances are pretty good that even if you quoted the verses verbatim (citing original author, of course) you'd be in the clear. The fact that the words are your own and that you acknowledge the originals make this a pretty safe bet.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Mike Coombes said:
You're rewriting in your own words the words to a hymn, based on something else (am I understanding that correctly?)

Yes, I've rewritten the hymn as rhymed verse based off of the 1905 prose translation. I've checked and the hymn version (1912) is in the public domain, so it looks like I'm safe. Thanks all for the input.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Why isn't your publisher vetting this for you?