• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Historical Fiction (Romantic but not romance) beta reader needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have an 85,000 word Adult Historical Fiction (romantic but not a romance in the traditional sense) novel that is ready for beta readers.

Here is the blurb:

It’s 1796 and twenty-year-old James Macpherson is a long way from Scotland. He’s traveled half way around the globe, struggling to make a go of it in the American wilderness, after reluctantly following his uncle into the fur trade. Green as can be, he navigates intimidating native cultures, surly French-speaking voyageurs and the rigors of commanding men. To his surprise, it’s a role he relishes.

When he’s promoted to the head clerk of Fort Pembina, making profitable trades with the Ojibwe Indians should be his primary concern. But instead, he’s found himself smitten by Mary, an escaped slave his post harbored when they’d found her in the forest near death. Her sad tale of being traded from tribe to tribe so far from her western home inflames his most romantic notions.

As she recovers, their friendship blooms as well. Side by side in the wilderness, it is not long before Macpherson can’t imagine his life without her, and she feels the same way about him. Taking “country wives” is not uncommon; the North West Company even encourages it. But if he marries her, what happens when his contract expires and he has to go back to Scotland? She can’t come with him, Indians are not allowed. And the woman his uncle forced him to marry before he left wouldn’t like it much either.

The novel does have a bit of off-color language and there are occasional uses of racist terms that were (sadly) appropriate for the era. I'd give it a PG13 rating.

I'm seeking any comments, observations or thoughts anyone would like to offer.

I'm in no rush, so the reader could take their time with it.

I beta all the time and would be happy to reciprocate. I am lousy at fantasy, however, so I might have to bow out of that genre.

Last edited:

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I have a historical fantasy (set in Ireland around 1800) that is the second book of a series, but stand alone. The fantasy elements are not huge - an heirloom brooch that gives the holder in a particular family a magical talent, and some standing stones that call the sidhe. It runs about 100K. If you're interested in a swap, I would be, too. No hurry on this one. I'm getting ready to submit the first in the series to my editor, so this one has some time yet. :)

Mine starts in 1792, northwest Ireland. A young girl lives with her family, poor farmers in Donegal. She must choose between her family, who are emigrating to America, and her new fiance. She chooses to remain in Ireland and start a new life in Achill Island, a remote community of strangers, while her husband trades. He leaves her for longer and longer periods until he finally doesn't return.

Last edited:

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I have a historical fantasy (set in Ireland around 1800) that is the second book of a series, but stand alone. The fantasy elements are not huge - an heirloom brooch that gives the holder in a particular family a magical talent, and some standing stones that call the sidhe. It runs about 100K. If you're interested in a swap, I would be, too. No hurry on this one. I'm getting ready to submit the first in the series to my editor, so this one has some time yet. :)

Mine starts in 1792, northwest Ireland. A young girl lives with her family, poor farmers in Donegal. She must choose between her family, who are emigrating to America, and her new fiance. She chooses to remain in Ireland and start a new life in Achill Island, a remote community of strangers, while her husband trades. He leaves her for longer and longer periods until he finally doesn't return.

Yay. I just PMed you!

Status
Not open for further replies.