Family Relations Question

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
In my story I have a brother and a sister.

The brother and sister share the same mother and maternal grandparents.

The sister's father is the man that is married to their mother.

The brother's father is the father of the sister's father, paternal grandfather.

So does this make the brother her half brother AND half uncle?

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
In my story I have a brother and a sister.

The brother and sister share the same mother and maternal grandparents.

The sister's father is the man that is married to their mother.

The brother's father is the father of the sister's father, paternal grandfather.

So does this make the brother her half brother AND half uncle?

Your question blew my mind. I drew a diagram and that helped a bit.

The brother is a half uncle to the sister.

I believe he is more than a half sibling to his sister because they share one parent (the mom) = 1/2. But, they share genes from the grand father/ father.

So maybe they are 5/8 siblings instead of half.

Does that make sense?

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
What this does is make the mother a thoroughly EWWW! person. Either she had a kid with someone, and then married his son. Or she married someone and then had a kid with his dad. (I'm not sure if what is described constitutes incest or not. I would think it would once she started having sex with whoever was the second of these men, but I am not sure.) Either way, unless it was a story about how messed up the life of the mother was, it's not really something that appeals to me.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
What this does is make the mother a thoroughly EWWW! person. Either she had a kid with someone, and then married his son. Or she married someone and then had a kid with his dad. (I'm not sure if what is described constitutes incest or not. I would think it would once she started having sex with whoever was the second of these men, but I am not sure.) Either way, unless it was a story about how messed up the life of the mother was, it's not really something that appeals to me.

Eh. Royal concubines. I'm sure this happened somewhere. Repeatedly.

I think that also makes them first cousins, once removed btw.

(it actually doesn't, but i was trying to be funny. I'll excuse myself.)

Anyways, yes that would make them half siblings and also he'd be her uncle. The family tree I drew to figure this out looks... Well it looks sadly like mine. But that's besides the point, cause that's one ugly little tree.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Wow, these family relations caught my eye. Had to draw a diagram too. Yes, brother is half brother and half uncle. Well, story should be interesting :)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It's perfectly clear that they are half and half, but I want to know about mommy and granddad. That's the story.

Last edited:

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
This adds nothing to the story other than commenting on confusing family trees, but my mother's first cousins are also her stepsisters.

I think the family tree you've created would make for an interesting story. :)

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score

Mother was sexually assaulted by father in law while her husband was away fighting in a war.