1940's love songs

K.Stephens

Registered
Reaction score
Hi again,
Can anyone suggest a romantic love song from 1946, or earlier? Set in the US.
Something a woman could possibly sing at a wedding (a small wedding, the female MC was a singer).
I've searched and searched online, but a lot of the songs whilst beautiful, are very jazzy--I'd prefer something a little slower.
I love Doris day's version of Day by Day, but that didn't come out until 1956. However, Frank Sinatra's version was recorded in 1946. Would it be unusual for a woman to sing a 'man's' song, do you think?
For anyone who was around in these times, or perhaps listens to music from the 30's or 40's, are there any songs that come to mind?
Thank you very much.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Given that people today are still enthusiastically belting out love songs from the 1960s, a wedding singer in 1946 could realistically sing anything from the whole first half of the twentieth century, and maybe lingering favorites from the nineteenth century too.

That said, there are many great romantic love songs from the decade or so before that, including "Begin the Beguine", "I've Got You Under My Skin", and "Dancing Cheek to Cheek".

Just slightly earlier are "All of Me," "Blue Skies," and "Ain't Misbehavin'".

If you want strictly wartime songs, they tend to be a little more melancholy. There's "As Time Goes By", "Sentimental Journey", "For Me and My Gal", and "Night and Day".

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I love Doris day's version of Day by Day, but that didn't come out until 1956. However, Frank Sinatra's version was recorded in 1946. Would it be unusual for a woman to sing a 'man's' song, do you think?

I think you answer your own question ;)

K.Stephens

Registered
Reaction score
That said, there are many great romantic love songs from the decade or so before that, including "Begin the Beguine", "I've Got You Under My Skin", and "Dancing Cheek to Cheek".

Just slightly earlier are "All of Me," "Blue Skies," and "Ain't Misbehavin'".

Thank you :)

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Perry Como had a big hit in 1946, if you want something slow and romantic: "They Say It's Wonderful" . There's also his recording of "Till the End of Time," which came out in 1945. Both would be appropriate for a wedding (especially the second one) and have been recorded by both men and women.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
Look up the Ink Spots. They had several ballads that might fit the bill. I'm thinking in particular of "My Prayer."

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The classic At Last, made famous by Etta James, was actually written in 1941 by Harry Warren.

He also wrote I Only Have Eyes For You, popularized by the Flamingos in the 60s but originally written in 1934

Then there's My Romance, Rogers and Hart, 1935. Very popular in its day, (And still is.) One of my favorite tunes to perform as a jazz ballad .

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
The Nearness of you
I'll walk alone
They're either too young or too old ( a humorous vein)
Don't sit under the apple tree with anyone else but me