When is the time right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We're sorry to say that we don't feel this piece is right for us at this time. However, please feel free to submit other work in the future.

I've been getting rejections like this for months now. So when is the right time? I've gotten other rejections that said they liked the story, but it wasn't right for their magazine. Please read our site and submit again!!!

So I understand rejecting a piece that's not right for the market, but what does "not right for us at this time," mean?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Or...perhaps that it doesn't fit with the editorial vision for the particular issue. Lots of reasons. Maybe it means it's close but not quite polished enough for their needs.

The fact that they're encouraging your to submit again in the future is a good sign. Keep at it.

Reaction score
It's a polite way of saying they didn't like it.

Personal rejection I have saved on submittable:

Thank you for sending us 'If I Could Speak' for consideration in The Masters Review. While our editors enjoyed reading your work, I’m afraid it isn’t quite right for us at this time. We think highly of your writing and wish you the best of luck placing this elsewhere.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably a form rejection, I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Or...perhaps that it doesn't fit with the editorial vision for the particular issue. Lots of reasons. Maybe it means it's close but not quite polished enough for their needs.

The fact that they're encouraging your to submit again in the future is a good sign. Keep at it.

Thanks. That's what I wanted to ask about. How can one know the "editoral vision," as you put it, of a publisher? That's probably impossible (unless it's a themed publication). Some do provide what they're looking for in their guidelines.

I know a rejection is a rejection. But even personal ones are frustrating.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How can one know the "editoral vision," as you put it, of a publisher?
Generally, by reading a whole heap of stuff they've published. If you read twenty or thirty issues of a magazine, you can get a pretty good feel for the kind of story the editor likes.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know a rejection is a rejection. But even personal ones are frustrating.

The ones you've quoted don't sound personal. They sound like form rejections. Which means nothing more and nothing less than "no" to that particular story--and it's not something you should read any further meaning into.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Generally, by reading a whole heap of stuff they've published. If you read twenty or thirty issues of a magazine, you can get a pretty good feel for the kind of story the editor likes.

Seconding this! Pony up the money for a few issues and read them. It might simply be that your tone and/or narrative style isn't like the ones they publish.

Think of it this way: Cosmopolitan and Ladies Home Journal both feature articles on home improvement, self improvement, fashion and food. But they aren't the same articles. Nowhere close... :ROFL:

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Some magazines publish their editorial calendars so you can get notion of what they may want to include in their future issues.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
How can one know the "editoral vision," as you put it, of a publisher? .

You read the magazine. Not just a sample story, not just one issue, but at least a dozen issues. If you can't figure out the editorial vision of an editor by doing this, you'll have a hard time making many sales.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
These are really just form rejections. Nice form rejections, but still form. They just mean no.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
We're sorry to say that we don't feel this piece is right for us at this time. However, please feel free to submit other work in the future.

I've been getting rejections like this for months now. So when is the right time? I've gotten other rejections that said they liked the story, but it wasn't right for their magazine. Please read our site and submit again!!!

So I understand rejecting a piece that's not right for the market, but what does "not right for us at this time," mean?

Don't despair!
You never know whether they like your story or not.
Chuck Palahniuk's "Invisible Monsters" was rejected by a several publishers for being "too disturbing." In other words, they just didn't like it. But after the success of his legendary novel "Fight club" they suddently changed their mind. And now this book is one of the most popular Palahniuk's novels.

So keep trying and never give up!

SML7318

Registered
Reaction score
I've never submitted to this magazine, so I'm not sure, but it may be a tiered rejection. One Story does this. There's a website that lists rejections (I think it's called wikireject), so you can have an idea what's a form or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.