Reaction score
From this:
TheFlock.png

to this!
1YearGirlPic.png

Back row: Silvie and Zoey.
Front row: Melodee, Annie, and Chick.

My, how time flies! :LilLove:

And because she's my favorite chicken-niece, have a better look at Mel.
FocusOnMel.png

(Annie's guess-what in the foreground; Zoey in the background.)

PS: Could someone suggest a good backyard chicken forum to me? Thanks!

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, cute little feather babies.

We bought a few new baby chicks this year, including a Frizzle. It has got to be the most ridiculously cute thing I've ever seen.

PS: Could someone suggest a good backyard chicken forum to me? Thanks!

Have you tried Backyard Chickens yet? I'm not a member, but I read it a lot. http://www.backyardchickens.com/

PuppyDogTails

Snips and Snails...
Registered
Reaction score
Lovely ladies!

Is that a RIR in the background (Zoey)? My big girl flock is made up entirely of of that breed... good layers and sweet personalities :) What kind is Silvee? Very striking!

Backyardchickens isn't my favorite forum for a host of reasons, but there are nice people there, and last time I checked (years ago), lots of information from experienced chicken people. Homesteading Today is another one I used to check... mostly general information but there is a chicken section.

Last edited:

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the awws and suggestions, guys! I'll look into those forums.

Wicked said:
We bought a few new baby chicks this year, including a Frizzle. It has got to be the most ridiculously cute thing I've ever seen.
I had to google Frizzles. They are cute! If the adult pictures do the breed justice, your gal's going to have cute feathers when she grows up, too.

PuppyDogTails said:
Is that a RIR in the background (Zoey)? My big girl flock is made up entirely of of that breed... good layers and sweet personalities
Yep, she's a RIR and the 2nd sweetest in the flock (the sweetest is Mel).

What kind is Silvee? Very striking!
Silvie's a Blue Andalusian, a rare breed. (Not that we knew that when we bought her from the hardware store.) She's a decent layer, though she slacked off on production for the coldest part of winter. Sadly, she tends to pick on Mel and Zoey despite being the smallest in the flock. She doesn't mess with Chick, though. She pecked Chick once, and Chick jackhammer pecked her back!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

jmarz01

Registered
Reaction score
They're lovely! I have a Blue Andalusian, too.

When I first got started with chickens, I liked the BackYard Chickens forum well enough. There's also chickenforum.com.

We have 14 egg-laying hens, the world's friendliest rooster, and 10 ducks (seven Indian Runners, which are upright like penguins, and three Khaki Campbells). This year we're also raising meat chickens and turkeys. It's our first time raising our own meat birds, so we'll see this fall whether we have a freezer full of poultry we raised... or a freezer full of poultry we bought and a barn full of poultry we're raising for no good reason at all!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"This year we're also raising meat chickens and turkeys. It's our first time raising our own meat birds, so we'll see this fall whether we have a freezer full of poultry we raised... or a freezer full of poultry we bought and a barn full of poultry we're raising for no good reason at all!"

Forty plus years ago, when my parents first had their home in the mountains, my Mom floated out the idea of getting a calf and raising it for the freezer. It was one of the few times Dad denied Mom anything. He said she would turn it into a pet, and it would never end up in the freezer.

She would never have had chickens. When she was quite small they lived on the farm with her grandparents. She had to help with dealing with the chickens for lunch for the farm hands. She wanted nothing to do with a chicken that wasn't already ready for the oven or frying pan.

One of my neighbors has chickens, sheep, and goats. The baby lambs are really cute, the adult sheep are just sheep. But the goats are a small breed and even the adults are cute. And some of them are pintos.

MM