PDA

View Full Version : Introductory and appositive comma questions

Nature Geek
03-26-2015, 08:46 PM
I hate when the simple stuff trips me up. I've googled all over the place, but I can't find exact examples to convince me either way. Help?

-Today I want to share some of my stories.

-Today, I want to share some of my stories.

(I'm thinking no comma?)

-Because my friend Dave Johnson was in town for the meeting, he gave me some pointers on the project.

-Because my friend, Dave Johnson, was in town for the meeting, he gave me some pointers on the project.

(Since Dave Johnson isn't his only friend, no comma? I keep going back and forth on this one.)

Chase
03-26-2015, 09:38 PM

(I'm thinking no comma?)

You're correct either way:

Comma Rule Number 2: A comma is necessary to separate a long introductory element before a main clause. Rule 2 holds true for both simple and complex constructions:
Even though ignorant of our culture, we must always be kind to strangers. (Simple)
Since Constance is new to our company, all of us should strive to help her. (Complex)

It’s always correct to set off any introductory element with a comma, but a more modern lean toward fewer commas in novels has made the practice optional for shorter elements. Either is acceptable:
Later, you can join us for dessert.
Later you can join us for dessert.

Because my friend Dave Johnson was in town for the meeting, he gave me some pointers on the project.

Because my friend, Dave Johnson, was in town for the meeting, he gave me some pointers on the project.

(Since Dave Johnson isn't his only friend, no comma? I keep going back and forth on this one.)

I believe you're safe with no comma setting off Dave Johnson if you're sure he's not your one and only friend. :D

guttersquid
03-26-2015, 09:38 PM
I hate when the simple stuff trips me up. I've googled all over the place, but I can't find exact examples to convince me either way. Help?

(I'm thinking no comma?)

It is permissible to omit the comma after a brief introductory element if the omission does not result in confusion or hesitancy in reading. If there is ever any doubt, use the comma, as it is always correct.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas_intro.htm

-Because my friend Dave Johnson was in town for the meeting, he gave me some pointers on the project.

-Because my friend, Dave Johnson, was in town for the meeting, he gave me some pointers on the project.

(Since Dave Johnson isn't his only friend, no comma?) Correct.

The provided link will take you to a site good for grammar and punctuation.

Maryn
03-26-2015, 09:40 PM
I agree with Chase. He pays me good money to do so.

Maryn, waiting on that check

Chase
03-26-2015, 09:45 PM
I agree with Chase. He pays me good money to do so.

Okay, Mar, I see why you crossed out "good money." But I swear I thought IOUs and bitcoins were the same thing. :Shrug:

King Neptune
03-26-2015, 10:00 PM
I agree with Maryn.

Nature Geek
03-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Thanks all! I bookmarked the grammar site - good explanations and examples.