When agents offer representation

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
have they already tested the waters to see how likely it is that they'll be able to sell your ms?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It would be unethical for them to shop a book they didn't represent. But they probably have a good idea of where they'd like to submit the novel.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What do you mean by test the waters? Agents shouldn't be sending your work around to editors if you don't have a contract.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I have the impression that it's a small world, publishing is, and that they know each other, agents and editors and publishers do, and that a phone call before offering rep would save everyone a lot of time, including the author. I don't mean an actual submission, but just something like, "Hey, you looking for an xyz sort of book?"

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I guess I have the impression that it's a small world, publishing is, and that they know each other, agents and editors and publishers do, and that a phone call before offering rep would save everyone a lot of time, including the author. I don't mean an actual submission, but just something like, "Hey, you looking for an xyz sort of book?"

Good agents have a pretty good idea of the interests of the editors they know, so they wouldn't need to call around. They would know that Editor A at House B loves XYZ.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net

Part of an agent's job is to understand the current marketplace. They should have good working relationships with editors that allow them to know their tastes and be aware of what types of books are being bought.

And, like the others have said, shopping or discussing a book that is not contracted would be unethical.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It would be pretty crummy for the author if agents did do that. Say Agent A has a good relationship with Editor Z. She has a full that she loves but she doesn't know if there's a market for it so she pitches it to Editor Z. Editor Z says, "I'd love to see that book!" and waits for Agent A to send it. Agent A offers rep and the author tells the 3 other agents with her full and she gets another offer, which she decides to go with. Agent B takes her novel and sends it to Editor Z. But Editor Z's been told that a novel with the exact same premise is coming from Agent A, who she's worked with before and liked. Now the author's novel doesn't look so shiny because the exact same novel was already shopped to Editor Z.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, never would have thought of that. You're right.