PDA

View Full Version : AW Get-Together: Where?

JennaGlatzer
04-05-2006, 01:30 AM
OK, folks, this is a multiple-choice poll, which means you can vote for more than one location. If you are interested in meeting fellow AWers, where could you go to meet us?

JennaGlatzer
04-05-2006, 01:38 AM
P.S. I also think there should be a UK version of the get-together, but I'm not familiar enough with cities there to know which ones might work. Someone else want to open a poll for the UKers?

Simran
04-05-2006, 01:41 AM
I got so excited when I saw that NY was 100% and then I realized, I was the only one who voted so far! DUH! :e2smack: :e2smack:

JennaGlatzer
04-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Ha! Judy... check again. Things move fast around here. And you know I'm biased toward NY. ;)

Simran
04-05-2006, 01:45 AM
Ha! Judy... check again. Things move fast around here. And you know I'm biased toward NY. ;)

WOW Great news travels fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope we do end up meeting in NY. It's the closest of the choices for me. ;)

Peggy
04-05-2006, 01:52 AM
No choices west of the Mississippi? :cry:

jackie106
04-05-2006, 01:57 AM
I voted for Chicago because I am in Chicago, but I'd be happy to go to NY or West Virginia. I can easily drive to West Virginia and I'm always up for a trip to New York City!

Jackie

JennaGlatzer
04-05-2006, 02:12 AM
Sorry, Peggy! I'm going by the map of AWers, which is here:

http://www.frappr.com/absolutewriters

You have to play around a little to see it accurately-- set it to show "500" members (which is more than we have registered there), then zoom in and you can see where we're concentrated-- in the eastern US. But there are a fair number of AWers in California, too... I'd be very glad if someone wants to organize an event for the west coast-ers!

Perks
04-05-2006, 02:15 AM
I voted DC, but if it's gonna happen anywhere, I'll do my best to be there.

Kevin Yarbrough
04-05-2006, 02:22 AM
I vote for in Jenna's bedroom, but I don't think we will all fit. Plus I don't think her hubby will like it.

jenngreenleaf
04-05-2006, 02:22 AM
phooey.

Wish NY wasn't such a long drive. LOL

poetinahat
04-05-2006, 04:26 AM
*sigh*

Any takers for an AsiaPac summit?

jst5150
04-05-2006, 04:36 AM
A suggestion:

Why not hold three summits linked by Webcam or video telecom or something. The first is in the US. Have it in a city central to the US members. I'd offer that Chicago or Denver would be a fine place (or, I'd be happy to work the logistics of a Macon, Georgia, summit location, since I'm here and Macon is in desperate need of tourism).

The second summit would in London. London's a good international hopping off spot for any number of folks in the European theater and makes for easy air travel.

Finally, a third summit in Australia at a location central to the Oceania residents.

Again, have all three simultaneously (though the 14-hour time difference might make partying via Webcam a bit tough). Have contacts at each location act as logistics and plans chiefs to set them up (certainly amogst the legion of Jenna faithful, there be three who'd step up to build a meeting). Finally, use technology to link the three -- this forum, Webcam and whatever else might seem feasible.

Sounds like a gradiose idea, but, really, it's just three meetings at the same time in different locations with the same name. It would, as the kids say, be the shizzle. A hoot. Grand. And what a coup for AbWr.

And, yes, I volunteer in whatever capacity I could be used (logistics or countersniper cover)

Hugs.

JenNipps
04-05-2006, 05:38 AM
Chicago would be more viable for me, but I'd try to get there wherever it is.

Carole
04-05-2006, 06:02 AM
*sigh*

Any takers for an AsiaPac summit?
*waves like MAD* Meee meee meee!

I actually don't like NYC. Sorry, guys. Been there, didn't like it. Of course, that could have been due to the fact that I was chaperoning a busload of 13 year old girls - one of whom put blue bubblegum in my hair when I made the mistake of falling asleep.

Carole
04-05-2006, 06:05 AM
How sad is it that I voted for the two with the least votes? Oh well. I've always rooted for the underdog.

Shwebb
04-05-2006, 06:15 AM
Ah'm I heelbeelly. New York scares me.

Carole
04-05-2006, 06:19 AM
Me too!

astonwest
04-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Chicago for me...but only because it's the closest.
I'd vote for Oklahoma City, Kansas City, or Denver myself...
but alas, no one allowed those to be listed.

kristie911
04-05-2006, 07:15 AM
I could make Chicago because it's only 4 hours or so and I love Chicago! Hey, can we catch a Cubs game while we're there? I can't think of anything better than an AW gathering at Wrigley Field!

DTKelly
04-05-2006, 07:46 AM
I voted for NYC, because it's a lot closer than any other--- but I also voted for Chicago, because I could possibly swing that.

maestrowork
04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
I live within 500 miles of most major cities in the East Coast, so anywhere is fine by me. For a group meeting, I think Chicago or DC would be better. NYC is too big and too crowded and too many "things" to do.

poetinahat
04-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Interesting -- no west-coast venues.

How 'bout Seattle or Vancouver?

September skies
04-05-2006, 09:05 AM
:snoopy: OH, I love that area. Seattle or Vancouver - I'm in.

But then again, I'll go no matter where it is. I like New York and Washington D.C. (but only because I'd love to go there again anyway) but I'll go anywhere.

P.H.Delarran
04-05-2006, 09:19 AM
ok, i voted NYC because i've always wanted to visit, and Chicago just 'cause i have friends nearby. i'm of the thinking that if i'm gonna spend travel money, i should see everything i can while there..kill many birds.
it may be enlightening to see how much interest would be generated if some west-coast cities were added. i understand that membership isn't concentrated here, but we do have some nice places to visit. since many will have to make travel arrangements anyway, why not open up more options?

maestrowork
04-05-2006, 09:24 AM
I'll be in CA in late August/early September. I'm sure I can bring the hot tub with me...

AdamH
04-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I vote Toronto. We'll just do our best to stay away from Tim Hortons and we'll be fine.

Hey Toronto sounds cool to me. (voted NYC because it's technically closer to me out of all of them and I've never been there but I'm all for T.O.) Wishful thinking on "doing your best" to avoid Tim's, KTC. Might as well say we won't see any Leafs fans. LOL!

P.H.Delarran
04-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I'll be in CA in late August/early September. I'm sure I can bring the hot tub with me...
see..we have maestro, and hot tubs...what more is there?!

Anastacia
04-05-2006, 09:42 AM
I voted NYC because it's forty minutes from my New Jersey house.

If anyone needs accommodations for a NYC fest let me know. I might be able to host an AWer or two. All you have to do is put up with a really cute three year old and a twenty pound cat under the mistaken impression he's still a lap kitty.

Zonk
04-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I voted for Fort Liquordale because that's closest to me...http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif My wife has family in Chicago, so that might be a close second.

I've been to New York twice; my first trip, and my last (probably) http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

How about the Atlantis Hotel on Paradise Island? I know the folks that run the conventions there...

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gifhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif

WVWriterGirl
04-05-2006, 10:06 AM
I voted WV for obvious reasons *grin* but I can easily make DC. NY is scary to me (I've been there, don't like it) and NY, Ft. Lauderdale and Chicago are out of my league financially.

ATP
04-05-2006, 10:47 AM
A suggestion:
Why not hold three summits linked by Webcam or video telecom or something. The first is in the US., the second summit would be in London and finally, a third summit in Australia at a location central to the Oceania residents.

I'm for this, and an Asia-Pacific meeting, as I live in Asia, but have my original hometown based in Australia.

It could be done with webcams (finally get a long overdue second opportunity to use mine), video telecom (?) or depending on how sophisticated you wish to become, you could also connect all major sites through video-conferencing centres, with large screens and multi-user facilities.

The logistics can be quite involved, depending on how many people actually turn up to selected cities and regional locations, and the number of people who actually link up live while being elsewhere.

ATP

Liam Jackson
04-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Sheer logistics may dictate alternating venues. '07- east coast/midwest...'08- Seattle, Portland, Vancouver.

MacAllister
04-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I'll show up, wherever we decide to have the party.

ATP
04-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Sheer logistics may dictate alternating venues. '07- east coast/midwest...'08- Seattle, Portland, Vancouver.

I am not familiar enough with the specifics to comment further on this point. But, I have an idea that depending on numbers etc., you might need a number of people grouped together in select regions to act as co-ordinators (or in IT speak, 'nodes').

ATP

Unique
04-05-2006, 03:11 PM
WV got my vote because, well - $$

I've heard about the cheap hotels in New York and I don't want to wrestle anyone over my Johnny Walker.

SC Harrison
04-05-2006, 04:10 PM
I voted for West (by god) Virginia and DC, because they're both just a few hours drive. I guess NY would be okay, as long as somebody holds my hand to keep me from dashing into traffic.

MacAllister
04-05-2006, 04:17 PM
I'll hold your hand, Steve. *g* It'll be fun. You'll have to hold Unique's hand, too, 'kay?

Perks
04-05-2006, 04:19 PM
An AW chain across the Brooklyn Bridge? They'll make a movie about it someday.

Perks
04-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Personally, I think WV is a great idea. NY is awfully hectic, especially for a large group. It's like Noah's Ark, best to go in two at a time.

If I meet you people, I'd like to actually hang out with you people - not go tour the Statue of Liberty.

Unique
04-05-2006, 04:26 PM
An AW chain across the Brooklyn Bridge? They'll make a movie about it someday.

That's what I'm afraid of.

(And NO balloon rides, either!)

Perks
04-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Yeah, but many threads ago, Juliette Binoche was cast as Perks and I'd like to see that!

SC Harrison
04-05-2006, 05:30 PM
I'll hold your hand, Steve. *g* It'll be fun. You'll have to hold Unique's hand, too, 'kay?

Definitely. And we can sing, "Make new friends, but keep the ooold, one is silver and the other gold, la la la..." (I forgot the rest of it).

Yeshanu
04-05-2006, 05:47 PM
I voted NYC, Chicago, and Ft. Lauderdale, and if I'd been able to list in order of preference, that would be my order, mainly because it's where I can get to on my miniscule budget.

I call the house with the three-year-old and the twenty pound kitty, if no-one else has. I'll be bringing Ally along (like she'd miss this, eh?), so that's two. She's good with kids and kitties, too.

Do we have a date for this party?
And how many people would be interested in a Toronto-area get-together? I'd be willing to co-ordinate one at a date different from the main party if there's enough folks who want to do it.

Jaycinth
04-05-2006, 06:08 PM
I voted for DC. Because it is close to me, and you would all love the Air and Space Museum, the Art Museum, and all of the other wonderful sights and because I am crazy and I think I could have folks over for some grillin...or at least a beer.

I also voted for West Virginia because it is a nice drive, close, pretty, summer is approaching so it is cool and I find the trees and hills conducive to writing, And I think everyone would like it there, away from the psycho 'normals' who think writers are 'psycho'.

Oh yeah, most of the hotels are reasonable so I could make it a two day journey, not miss work and leave the kids at home but still be able to get back in 3-4 hours if something comes up. ( But it won't cause iIalways leave them chained in the basement with bowls of sleeping pill laced food and bottles of water. If they sleep most of the time they don't realize I'm gone..you see...unless the cat tells them..and he won't..not if he wants to catch that blue jay this summer........)

Unique
04-05-2006, 06:22 PM
I voted NYC, Chicago, and Ft. Lauderdale, and if I'd been able to list in order of preference, that would be my order, mainly because it's where I can get to on my miniscule budget.

I call the house with the three-year-old and the twenty pound kitty, if no-one else has. I'll be bringing Ally along (like she'd miss this, eh?), so that's two. She's good with kids and kitties, too.

Do we have a date for this party?
And how many people would be interested in a Toronto-area get-together? I'd be willing to co-ordinate one at a date different from the main party if there's enough folks who want to do it.

I could live with Toronto. Drop my kiddo off at mom's and visit my cuz's in St. Catherines. (But only in the SUMMER!)

ETA: Do they still let Americans across the border, or do we need passports now?

maestrowork
04-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Toronto would be wonderful for the eastcoasters as well. Besides, I like foreigners. :P

AdamH
04-05-2006, 06:34 PM
ETA: Do they still let Americans across the border, or do we need passports now?

I don't think that starts until sometime in December but I could be wrong. As of last November (last time I was in the States) all I needed was my driver's licence to drive across the border. I'm pretty sure if you're flying, you need a passport though.

Sarita
04-05-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm good with pretty much anything, as long as it's the right time. This late Spring/Summer is probably out for me if it's really far, with the baby coming.

NYC and DC are the closest. And I LOVE the Toronto idea!

NeuroFizz
04-05-2006, 07:02 PM
A place with an inexpensive hotel will leave more money for the extracurriculars.

DTKelly
04-05-2006, 07:16 PM
This is such a big, diverse group.. why not have several get togethers? One east, one midwest, one west coast, etc. This way everyone that wanted to go would have someplace relatively close. Have them staggered, so that if someone wished to go to more than one, they could. I was part of a gaming clan that did this and worked quite well.

just my 99 cents.
(damn inflation)

Jaycinth
04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
This is such a big, diverse group.. why not have several get togethers? One east, one midwest, one west coast, etc. This way everyone that wanted to go would have someplace relatively close. Have them staggered, so that if someone wished to go to more than one, they could. I was part of a gaming clan that did this and worked quite well.

just my 99 cents.
(damn inflation)

Hey GREAT IDEA. It could turn into something like 'Burning Man' Except it would be
"Writer's Hands"!!!!!!!

Hey Maryn, about that bus..........

September skies
04-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Wow. I found this recently and wanted to share. It's me in New York at age 17.

The picture is dark but you can see the Twin Towers in the background! This was taken in 1976 -- the twin towers were new then.

I'm the in the blue shirt, second in. The guy in back (he worked on the boat) was checking me out and later asked me where we were staying. LOL

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7962/1861/320/twin%20towers%20and%20me_small%20pic.jpg

astonwest
04-06-2006, 02:46 AM
NYC is too big and too crowded and too many "things" to do.If we're looking for a place where there aren't a lot of "things" to do, I vote for here...

September skies
04-06-2006, 02:57 AM
If we're looking for a place where there aren't a lot of "things" to do, I vote for here...
and "here" is where exactly?

Yeshanu
04-06-2006, 03:03 AM
I don't think that starts until sometime in December but I could be wrong. As of last November (last time I was in the States) all I needed was my driver's licence to drive across the border. I'm pretty sure if you're flying, you need a passport though.

Actually, I don't think it starts for a year or so yet. My SO knows the exact date, and I'll check it if you want, but it won't be a problem for border crossers either way for this get-together.

louisgodwin
04-06-2006, 10:27 AM
*sigh*

Alright, here's the plan. All you East and West Coasters will converge in the middle of the U.S., here in Texas.

I mean, c'mon, there's a whole busload of Texan AW'ers here!

P.H.Delarran
04-06-2006, 10:31 AM
hmm now Louis, there's an idea..an AW party bus to the destination.

September skies
04-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Yahoo! I'm all in for Texas. We'll meet at The Alamo -- I've never been there and always wanted to. LOL

louisgodwin
04-06-2006, 10:41 AM
hmm now Louis, there's an idea..an AW party bus to the destination.

I'll drive. :D

astonwest
04-07-2006, 04:01 AM
and "here" is where exactly?
Right next to the middle of nowhere, silly...

three seven
04-07-2006, 04:03 AM
hmm now Louis, there's an idea..an AW party bus to the destination.Why not just have the party on the bus and save a whole lot of thinkin?

poetinahat
04-07-2006, 04:09 AM
Anybody want to car-pool?
http://dropgates.com/gallery/galleryemagez/wtfwtt/abd.sized.jpg

DTKelly
04-07-2006, 05:07 AM
Yeah, but do you have satellite radio like I do?

http://www.filegate.net/dtkelly/pictures/1483.jpg

ChunkyC
04-08-2006, 01:55 AM
I voted Chick-a-go because it's closest to me, but regardless, I doubt I'd be able to go for workload and financial reasons.

We should just have it in Banff or Canmore, Alberta. I'm sure you folks would love to see the Canadian Rockies. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Yeshanu
04-08-2006, 08:05 PM
I voted Chick-a-go because it's closest to me, but regardless, I doubt I'd be able to go for workload and financial reasons.

:cry:

We need a fund to get Chunky there. It won't be a real reunion without the Boss Man present...

(Do we have a date yet?)

Pthom
04-09-2006, 01:51 AM

We should just have it in Banff or Canmore, Alberta. I'm sure you folks would love to see the Canadian Rockies. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gifYup. I'd come to Banff. :)

Dawno
04-09-2006, 02:03 AM
Pick a place. Pick a date (that doesn't conflict with the SF Worldcon in August) and Dawno will be there. I'll even bring my sparklies.

rhymegirl
04-15-2006, 06:25 PM
So it looks like New York City wins, right???

Maryn
04-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Depending on timing and my own fully-reasonable fear of finding my way around in unfamiliar places (I have no sense of direction), I'd go to New York or Chicago.

Maryn, seeking a show of hands for those meeting her train or plane

Unique
04-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Are there hotels in NY that don't cost a bazillion dollars?

(I mean hotels that aren't populated by perpetual 'guests'?)
(Or is that another urban legend?)

DamaNegra
04-15-2006, 06:41 PM
If it is in New York, I could be able to make it by the end of November. A cousin of mine is going to study in NYU and starts this august, so I could stay with her, but my classes don't end till mid-November.

Any chance that could be taken into account?

maestrowork
04-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah, that's the thing about NYC... EXPENSIVE. Nothing decent under $150.

Unique
04-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah, that's the thing about NYC... EXPENSIVE. Nothing decent under $150.

:eek:Talk to me quick! I can't stay long!

Maryn
04-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Any big city's going to be expensive for a decent hotel.

Two directions to go (at least): Is there an organized way we could arrange room-sharing, other than people just PMing one another? Matching people up when we don't have a solid date, much less a hotel, seems pointless at this stage, but we could commit to attempting to arrange room-sharing for those who are stopped by hotel costs.

Or: Maybe we need to be thinking a second-tier city which is also readily accessible by plane and train but where hotel rooms cost much less than NYC prices. For instance, instead of New York we could choose Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, or Buffalo. Less to see and do, but the purpose of our get-together isn't only tourism.

Maryn, throwing ideas out there once again

kmm8n
04-15-2006, 07:22 PM
just getting back here after several months...hope this event gets organized!

I bet there are plenty of AWers in NYC who wouldn't mind putting up a few people who can't afford the expense of a hotel.

I have a one bedroom, but lots of room for air mattresses and sleeping bags and although I rarely use my stove (take out/delivery is soooo available), I'm sure it works.

This reminds me of my Peace Corps days...loading up volunteers' houses for a weekend party.

:tongue

maestrowork
04-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Is there an organized way we could arrange room-sharing, other than people just PMing one another?

I'm taking numbers. Females only. Under 85 years of age, please.

p.s. Chicago isn't that expensive. Also, Toronto could be another option and with the exchange rate, it's not a bad deal.

DamaNegra
04-15-2006, 07:35 PM
How about Miami?

Now that I think of it, I think I have some relatives in Chicago, I'll have to look into that.

eldragon
04-15-2006, 07:38 PM
No chance of Houston or Atlanta?

Paint
04-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Am I missing a party??? I wanna go!

September skies
04-15-2006, 08:04 PM
I still say we can all bring tents, pitch them up in Central Park and take over - a la Woodstock. (I was never there, I was just a baby, but have heard plenty and seen lots of pics)
It worked then. Why not now?

Or, don't we have AWers in that area? (we'll leave Jenna's place alone)
WE can ard them with tents - I think BrokenFingers said he was somewhere up there (if we can stand the smell of his boots) and a couple of others said they lived in that area.

We recently had a "tent city" situation in our town - about 20 homeless people took up residence in an empty lot and refused to move. It was quite sad, actually. They were finally forced out by law enforcement the day after Christmas.

Perks
04-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Will you people just pick a time and place? The Plaza's great. A patchouli stinking, hairy-armpit fringe encampment works too. I'll be there.

spirit.of.the.rain
04-15-2006, 08:12 PM
anyone want to go to salt lake city? you know... utah? where they hosted the olypics? anyone? anyone? :sigh: i didn't think so...

rhymegirl
04-15-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm taking numbers. Females only. Under 85 years of age, please.

p.s. Chicago isn't that expensive. Also, Toronto could be another option and with the exchange rate, it's not a bad deal.

No, no, no. It has to be New York. That's only 3 hours away from me.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Chicago for me...but only because it's the closest.
I'd vote for Oklahoma City, Kansas City, or Denver myself...
but alas, no one allowed those to be listed.

And I'd even help set up the OKC one since I'm within spittin' distance!

Jean Marie
04-15-2006, 08:53 PM
NYC, I'm an hour outside of. So, I can meet people at airports or whatever http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Perks
04-15-2006, 08:55 PM
JM will drive the shuttle bus! Now we're getting somewhere!

Jean Marie
04-15-2006, 08:56 PM
See, it wasn't that hard http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

JennaGlatzer
04-15-2006, 09:18 PM
NYC won, with Chicago in 2nd place. Will get back to you soon with further instructions. :D

Jean Marie
04-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Uh, Jenna, I already know it's in your backyard http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Elincoln
04-15-2006, 10:32 PM
If NYC seems expense, try looking across the river. I'm about 10 minutes away from the Lincoln Tunnel and we have a bunch of hotels in the area.

Technically it's still NYC area. I mean, it's where the Meadowlands are. Right?

robeiae
04-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Wolf Creek, W. A.?

Sven_the_Viking
04-15-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm looking for a nice flight from Reykjavik. Will there be any mead or herrings at the get together or shall I bring them?

robeiae
04-15-2006, 10:44 PM
You can guard the buffet table.

kristie911
04-15-2006, 10:48 PM
<sigh> Someone send me pics...my financial situation doesn't allow me to travel to NYC. Chicago was my only hope...

astonwest
04-16-2006, 12:21 AM
NYC won, with Chicago in 2nd place. Will get back to you soon with further instructions. :D

Except that nearly 2/3 of voters didn't want to go to NYC (86-39)...
Of course, it was a 96-29 vote against Chicago...
(we won't dwell on the fact OKC wasn't even in the running)

;)

DTKelly
04-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Surely there are members around the country/world that would want to organize a get together in their region? (and don't call me Shirley)

I'm only 3 hours from NYC, so unless it's at a really bad time, I should be there.

But I don't see why there has to be only one get together.

just my .02

maestrowork
04-16-2006, 12:26 AM
You can't please everyone. The thing is, we need to go by the poll result, or we'll NEVER make a decision.

rhymegirl
04-16-2006, 12:31 AM

just my .02

There doesn't have to be just one get-together.

Someone on the west coast could organize one for members who live out that way. Someone in the middle of the country could organize one for people who live there. Someone up north and south, ditto.

Kevin has to move to the United States and then he's all set.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Alllllrighty, then... if there was one in OKC, how many would come? Should I move this to an OKC AW Get-Together thread?

SpookyWriter
04-16-2006, 01:52 AM
Kevin has to move to the United States and then he's all set.Yeah, well just where do I park my spaceship?? -- oh and before I forget, do I need a visa?

Yeshanu
04-16-2006, 05:04 AM
I'll definitely go to NYC, but I'm still angling for a Toronto one at some point. I'd be willing to do some co-ordinating of that event.

I like the suggestion of smaller (cheaper) places that aren't right in the city. Or has anyone thought about the idea of reserving a group campground? If we do it in the summer, that would be the cheapest option of all, if folks were open to that kind of adventure.

PattiTheWicked
04-16-2006, 05:10 AM
A campground? That would be awesome, because then we could listen to 97 different variations of the "where do I pitch my tent" joke!

Yeshanu
04-16-2006, 05:17 AM
And we could sing "99 bottles of beer on the wall" to our hearts content.

Shwebb
04-16-2006, 06:11 AM
If I'm able to attend, I could take our minivan--I don't mind having a couple of people hitch a ride with me; I would probably have to bring along the baby, though. I'd have room for up to four people.

If someone farther south wants to, he/she/they could drive up here (SE Ohio) and spend the night; we could leave in the AM.

I love the idea of staying at a campground! (Something my husband would never want to do.)

DamaNegra
04-16-2006, 06:34 AM
I'd love the idea of a campground! But summer... you aren't talking about THIS summer, right? Please please please tell me you're not!!

ATP
04-16-2006, 07:02 AM
Surely there are members around the country/world that would want to organize a get together in their region? (and don't call me Shirley)

I'm only 3 hours from NYC, so unless it's at a really bad time, I should be there.

Some have suggested 'rolling' get-togethers ie. each year in a different location/region, while others have suggested simultaneous gatherings in different regions - UK (London I think was it) for those within shouting distance of Europe.

For AP, the region is large but the members are few eg. India, Bangladesh, Australia, some islands in the Pacific.It looks as though the AP event might not happen.But, those of us in AP could attend online and live. As could many others in US and Can.

If the physical location is finalised, it might be helpful if those more technically minded put their collective electronic heads together so to speak, and organise /co-ordinate something for those who will not be able to physically attend. This gathering should aim to be as inclusive as possible - the technology available to the members I think now enables this.

ATP

September skies
04-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Start spreading the news...I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it, New York, New York
These vagabond shoes Are longing to stray
And make a brand new start of it
New York, New York

I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps...

ok, now I'm getting excited.

astonwest
04-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Alllllrighty, then... if there was one in OKC, how many would come? Should I move this to an OKC AW Get-Together thread?

I know I'd be there...provided it doesn't interfere with the Mindsight Gathering...

astonwest
04-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah, well just where do I park my spaceship??I use an underground bunker for my own...

September skies
04-16-2006, 07:54 PM
What?
I thought this was just the primaries.
No run-off voting between NYC and Chicago?
If you combine the votes for all of the other cities, that number could swing any of these two choices in either direction.

DamaNegra
04-16-2006, 07:59 PM
September's right, we should hold the convention at all of the cities that did not win :D

No, seriously, why not pick Mexico?? :D We've got tequila, tacos, enchiladas, chilaquiles, guacamole, tamales, atole, tostadas, chiles en nogada, bu˝uelos, mole, etc etc. :D:D:D

Unique
04-16-2006, 08:00 PM
:e2zipped: Where ever - When ever....

Soon. Before I run out of $$

Next year ya'll can come to my place. I have a big back yard if you want to camp and hotels around if ya don't.

(Of course, any of ya'll are welcome any time)

astonwest
04-16-2006, 10:54 PM
If you combine the votes for all of the other cities, that number could swing any of these two choices in either direction.That sounds vaguely familiar...

oh, wait...

LightShadow
04-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Southern California is always nice? How come nobody considered LA or San Diego in the Poll?

September skies
04-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Southern California IS great! And it never rains.....oh wait....it's done nothing but rain. LOL

Actually, I think a great West Coast place would be Las Vegas. Think about it - there's always cheap flights there and the hotel rooms are awesome! And for those on a budget, the off-the-strip hotels have great rates! I've stayed at Whiskey Pete's and Buffulo Bill's many times (40 minutes away) at $11-15 a night! I mean, you can't beat that. (I think it's up to $17-22 a night now)

But, New York won for the "main" place - so, just let me know when and I'm so there.

Dama: You left off margaritas! LOL

Good Word
04-21-2006, 02:32 AM
I was hoping for some good outdoor space--campfires, swimming, activities, etc.

rtilryarms
04-22-2006, 06:56 AM
Actually, I think a great West Coast place would be Las Vegas. Think about it - there's always cheap flights there and the hotel rooms are awesome! And for those on a budget, the off-the-strip hotels have great rates! I've stayed at Whiskey Pete's and Buffulo Bill's many times (40 minutes away) at $11-15 a night! I mean, you can't beat that. (I think it's up to $17-22 a night now)

Good point. I forgot about the affordability of Vegas (as long as you don't gamble). Killer group rates too.
I was kind of being selfish when I voted New York. My main office is Manhatten and I can just call it a business trip.

JennaGlatzer
04-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Quit arguing with me about why I didn't include such-and-such great city... go plan your own AW gathering! ;)

Okay, seriously. I'm a bit scattered right now, but I *think* I've roped Lisa into organizing a NY gathering with me. If we want to do camping, however-- which I think is an awesome idea-- NYC isn't the place to do that.

We'd then go back to where I wanted to be all along... my home-island, Long Island. :D (Shush, Jean, this is NOT gonna be in my backyard!)

Anyway.

We can have lots of AW gatherings in lots of places. I went with the east coast of the US because that's where we have the most subscribers. There's no possible way I can please everybody with one location, so I figured I'd dig in and start with one, and others can organize efforts in their areas.

Here are my preliminary thoughts:

Camping on Long Island, near a hotel for those who prefer to... y'know, shower an' have air conditioning an' stuff.
End of this summer (August?)
2 nights, 3 days
On the 3rd day, anyone who wants to ventures into NYC to see a show, trek around visiting literary agents, whatever.
(You can take the train into NYC... takes about an hour from where I live.)

If you want to pretend we're all rich, we could try to find a place to stay out by the Hamptons/Montauk Point, which has the prettiest sunrises and sunsets in the universe. But that's a lot further from NYC.

DamaNegra
04-22-2006, 07:55 AM
:( that's not fair, my classes start on the 2nd week of August. Maybe, if it was a weekend, I could go for like, 1 day, although I don't think my parents will want to pay for it.

September skies
04-22-2006, 10:12 AM
end of August sounds good! My high school reunion is the first w/end of August, and the happiest day of the year is on August 16 (back to school for the kids) -- so that leaves the end of August totally free! Yea!

Once I know when and where - I'm so there!

Good Word
04-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Jenna, I was thinking of the kind of space that had cabins and maybe food, or at least big kitchens where people can prepare food. And a common room for people to hang out in--there are places like that in the Berkshires--like maybe something near a lake. The Berkshires are in Western Mass, just 2-3 hours drive from NYC but maybe you know of somewhere on Long Island like that?

I went to a place like that a number of years ago, and it was great for a big crowd. I'm trying to remember the name of it. I can't believe I can't remember the name of it. Ugh! Let me work on this one a bit.

robeiae
04-22-2006, 05:49 PM
We'd then go back to where I wanted to be all along... my home-island, Long Island. :D (Shush, Jean, this is NOT gonna be in my backyard!)Bwahahahaha...what you had no way of knowing is that I have relatives in Bayville and Locust Valley. Now, I'll probably go...fools.

Rob :)

ATP
04-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Don't forget the crew for the live webcasting...

ATP

Yeshanu
04-22-2006, 07:21 PM
We'd then go back to where I wanted to be all along... my home-island, Long Island. :D

I only understood that we'd be near the cities listed, not necessarily in them, especially if prices are lower just outside the cities.

Here are my preliminary thoughts:

Camping on Long Island, near a hotel for those who prefer to... y'know, shower an' have air conditioning an' stuff.
End of this summer (August?)
2 nights, 3 days
On the 3rd day, anyone who wants to ventures into NYC to see a show, trek around visiting literary agents, whatever.
(You can take the train into NYC... takes about an hour from where I live.)

Birthday, it's my birthday present, my precious, yes it is... :Jump: (http://misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#) :Jump:

If you want to pretend we're all rich, we could try to find a place to stay out by the Hamptons/Montauk Point, which has the prettiest sunrises and sunsets in the universe. But that's a lot further from NYC.

Unfortunately, I can only pretend I'm rich when other people pay the shot. And right now, I'm even pretending to be rich when I go to the grocery store to buy such luxuries as milk and eggs and KD. I'll be in better shape by the end of August, and Ally and I are definitely going to be there, but please, please, please, keep the costs down!

(And for those who need things like hot showers and air conditioning and 700 TV channels: Wuss! :wag: )

Perks
04-22-2006, 07:26 PM
(And for those who need things like hot showers and air conditioning and 700 TV channels: Wuss! :wag: )

That would be me. Except for the TV channels. Don't give a flying fig about those.

I'll cop to being a wuss, but I'll smell better.

P.H.Delarran
04-22-2006, 07:55 PM
sometimes college campuses rent out dorm rooms and common rooms and kitchen facilities to groups during their off season. we had a family reunion at one in new mexico once.

MacAllister
04-22-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm definitely in the "wants a shower" contingent. *g*

I'm gonna have to talk to Dawno, I can tell. Between us, we ought to be able to pull off an AW gathering, West Coast.

reph
04-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Jenna, I was thinking of the kind of space that had cabins and maybe food, or at least big kitchens where people can prepare food. And a common room for people to hang out in....Asilomar fits your description, except for the kitchens (it has a cafeteria instead) and its location on the wrong coast.

Jean Marie
04-22-2006, 09:49 PM

I'm gonna have to talk to Dawno, I can tell. Between us, we ought to be able to pull off an AW gathering, West Coast.
You wuss, you're supposed to go to where the gathering is--not make up your own http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

ETA: 'Sides, it's already been decided that it's byop @ Jenna's. Don't know why you can't keep up w/ this, you bein' a supermod and all. Ya think she and Anthony don't have indoor plumbing? Sheesh! Get a grip, woman!

rich
04-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Showers?

Dawno
04-22-2006, 10:21 PM

Yep - we can have it in the beautiful mountains of the Central Valley (i.e. September Skies' backyard) which is the middle part of the state! ;)

Seriously, I'd be thrilled to help plan/organize/etc. a West Coast gig. I have one scheduling issue that is absolute, the World Science Fiction Con in Los Angeles on Aug 23 - 27 + a day for Disneyland. I've never been to a World Con and I've wanted to go for over 30 years. I'm NOT missing this one.

Jean Marie
04-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Yep - we can have it in the beautiful mountains of the Central Valley (i.e. September Skies' backyard) which is the middle part of the state! ;)

Seriously, I'd be thrilled to help plan/organize/etc. a West Coast gig. I have one scheduling issue that is absolute, the World Science Fiction Con in Los Angeles on Aug 23 - 27 + a day for Disneyland. I've never been to a World Con and I've wanted to go for over 30 years. I'm NOT missing this one.
That makes you a wuss, too, ya know http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Dawno
04-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Hey, I've already said, upthread, tell me when and where and I'll be there - East Coast, West Coast, even *gasp* Canada! (although I'll need to get my shots updated....)

reph
04-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Maybe we should start with something less ambitious, like local lunches in areas where enough AWers live.

Jean Marie
04-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Hey, I've already said, upthread, tell me when and where and I'll be there - East Coast, West Coast, even *gasp* Canada! (although I'll need to get my shots updated....)
Jenna said around August http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif and for Canada, do you need rabies or tetanus http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif

Dawno
04-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Both - and also something for that disease that makes you spell funny, apologise all the time and say "Eh" at the end of sentences...

rich
04-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Not in the biological sense. However, there are some mental injections needed at this period in time.

Yeshanu
04-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Jenna said around August http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif and for Canada, do you need rabies or tetanus http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif

Both - and also something for that disease that makes you spell funny, apologise all the time and say "Eh" at the end of sentences...

:e2teeth:

Sorry for the wuss comment. It was a bit off-colour, eh?

Dawno
04-22-2006, 11:03 PM
I should state, for the record, that I am only repeating what aka Eraser told me when I asked him if I needed to take any special precautions before visiting Canada. And ChunkyC backed him up, so who am I to disbelieve them?? Eh?

Jean Marie
04-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Good to know, eh? Sorry http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif Apparently, I need 'em.

Yeshanu
04-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Good to know, eh? Sorry http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif Apparently, I need 'em.

So do I...

rich
04-22-2006, 11:27 PM
For us or for them?

Showers?

JennaGlatzer
04-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Ohhh, Lisa, I know what you mean! (I think.)

Check this out:

http://www.raystownresort.com/

Anthony and I spent part of our honeymoon there. He just mentioned it this morning. It's in Pennsylvania, though. Has all kinds of options for different budgets-- a lodge, villas, bungalows, cabins, and camping. We stayed in a cabin and were happy with it.

Is this the kind of place you meant?

Jean Marie
04-23-2006, 01:46 AM
I just looked at the link, Jenna. Looks very nice. I'm guessing there's nothing like that, or that inexpensive in the Hampton's http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif Unless, we go to your, um...

Dawno
04-23-2006, 01:59 AM
I know how to get Mr. Eraser there...make sure he knows about this:

Jean Marie
04-23-2006, 02:08 AM
Then that would keep him from using Chunky as bait http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif

Good Word
04-23-2006, 02:35 AM
Jenna, that's pretty close. I was thinking of something that had a kitchen so that we could do a big group dinner, but this is pretty cool! Sent them an email inquiry.

Also sending you a PM.

astonwest
04-24-2006, 12:00 AM
I should state, for the record, that I am only repeating what aka Eraser told me when I asked him if I needed to take any special precautions before visiting Canada. And ChunkyC backed him up, so who am I to disbelieve them?? Eh?Apparently, you're already infected, Dawno...

Jean Marie
04-24-2006, 12:12 AM
That's why Dawno's had the sparkly ears surgically attached--they're supposed to deflect Canuckian infections. Might not be up to snuff. They can always be cranked up a notch or two.

motormouth
04-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Argh!

I can't go to NYC this year - two trips to England in our first year of marriage killed our bank accounts.

But, maybe, in 2007, we could have one in Vancouver, Seattle, or Toronto? California would also be nice.

I saw this purely out of selfishness because I live in Vancouver, and I have places I can stay for free in Toronto.

But if everyone comes to Canada, we could rent out a camp. That means everyone stay in cute little wooden houses with teeny tiny showers and the occasional bug. Great hiking, some canoeing, and hey, really good sushi if we go into town. Otherwise, cafeteria style food. My best friend can drive a bus, so people could fly into Vancouver, then we could run a shuttle bus out to the camp. (I used to organize camps. Please make me shut up if I start mentioning arts and crafts, archery lessons, and singalongs).

Although if there is a 2007 one, I will go anywhere. I love reading everyone's posts, it'll be even more fun to lurk in real life. I'll even help organize it, if need be.

Or is anyone thinking about organizing a West Coast one for this summer? Maybe California would work. I can help organize, if help is needed, or let me know the details.