Snakes In My Yard

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
It's springtime in Mississippi, and the snakes are taking over. Up until today, I have been seeing only non-venomous snakes. Racers and Rat Snakes. Last Thursday, I watched a Racer eat a frog. I wanted to help the frog, but it was too late. (He was halfway in.)

A snake has to eat, too.

But, today, I saw not one, but two Copperheads swimming in a pond not 50 yards from our house. They were swimming nearest the house, in a place I walk near everyday. They were probably trying to eat baby fish, as there are fish nests in that same spot.

So, I went and got my husband, and we went back out and watched the snakes. They didn't seem shy, or aggressive. They watched us watch them.

Eventually, we watched them swim away, to the other side of the pond.

All day long, we talked about buying a 20 gauge shotgun, to kill snakes with. For the record, we are both anti-kill sort of people.

We even went to a pawnshop and to Walmart to look at guns, but didn't buy.

When we returned, I walked back out to the pond, and there was a copperhead snake again. This time, he came closer to me, swimming more aggressively than before. Was it my imagination? I don't think so.

So, my husband is on his way back to Walmart to buy an $89 shotgun.

We hate to do it, but Copperheads are venomous. We have kids to think about, and us, and cats and a dog. We have 4 ducks. (They are on a different pond, but still................)

80% of all snakebites happen when someone is trying to move or kill the snake.

Has anyone here had any experience with Copperheads or other venomous snakes?

We have rattlesnakes and Water Moccasins, too.

Joy.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Be careful; Copperheads can be aggressive. At least, Alabama Copperheads are.

A few years ago, this fellow I know was climbing into his fishing boat when he was bitten on the arm by a Copperhead. He immediately called for help and was rushed to the hospital (they killed the snake and took it along, too--it was positively identified as a Copperhead). Before they could get this guy stabilized, he almost died twice. He was in the hospital for days and had several surgeries on that arm.

I saw him a few weeks later and his arm still looked horrible. The doctor said not only did he almost lose it, but he was lucky to have use of it. Now, years later, he still has trouble with it--nerve damage, etc.

Now, I'm no snake expert, and I don't know if everyone would suffer such an extreme reaction, but that bite nearly did this guy in. So you be careful out there, Pam. And watch where you're stepping. They can flatten themselves on the ground and be hard to see.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
We have all those types of snakes where I live also. Anytime you have water near you are going to have to be careful of snakes.

Cats will kill snakes. Of course, they are more likely to get the baby ones, which helps in the long run, but doesn't do much for the adult snake problem at present.

Hogs will also kill snakes. Of course, then you have to deal with them being so smelly!

Sprinkle sulphur around areas you are concerned about, such as if you think they might come in your garage door. ..sprinkle it across the door opening. they won't cross it because it burns them is what I've been told. Of course if there is already one in there they won't cross it to get out either.

Also, someone explained how water moccasins carry their babies to me. I'd never heard this but it might be of interest in case you are trying to kill one. A man told me he stopped on the road to kill one once and when he hit it, it spewed babies out of its mouth. He thought they'd never quit coming out. Of course, babies are poisonous too, just not as much venom as Mom would have. You can imagine how startling it would be to think you had one snake to deal with, then suddenly, they are everywhere.
:Jaw:

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
eldragon said:
Thanks.

So, your recommendation is to kill them, then?

You can give Fern's suggestions a try; do whatever you feel is necessary to protect your family and pets.

We have all kinds of snakes here and many are venomous. I'm not a big snake fan, but they do keep down the rat and mice population.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Well, I went out to the back pond again, and a snake was swimming right by.

About then, my husband pulled up with a gun.

He went around the back side of the pond, while I searched the front, and saw a snake, shot and killed it.

It wasn't a poisonous snake. The head was blown clear off, but it was solid black, with a yellow belly.

I saw two snakes today, one was black, and one was reddish and banded. The reddish, banded one is the copperhead, and not the one he killed.

So, my softy husband is upset about killing the snake, and now, refuses to shoot anymore.

I have never handled a gun before, and I am not eager to start now. But, I don't want venomous snakes around.

Most snakes aren't harmful to humans. When you have a gun in hand and you see a snake, you don't have time to compare pictures. Now, we don't know what to do.

Anyone want to buy a gun?

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know copperheads were banded. I usually look for the short stubby tail. Where are the bands so I'll know to look next time I see one?

If you have trouble identifying some that you've seen, go to a snake page on the internet and look up pictures so you will recognize them easier when time is of the essence.

Tell hubby not to feel so badly. I did the same thing once except the snake was in the yard where my kids played. All I could think was "water moccasin" because it was black and turned out it was just a black snake. I felt badly, but in my case, even if they aren't poisonous they could very well cause a heart attack. :D They just don't need to be hanging around too close.

cw37066

Registered
Reaction score
Fern said:
it spewed babies out of its mouth. He thought they'd never quit coming out. Of course, babies are poisonous too, just not as much venom as Mom would have. You can imagine how startling it would be to think you had one snake to deal with, then suddenly, they are everywhere.

ACCCCKKKK climbing onto my chair and not going to bed tonight!

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I didn't know copperheads were banded. I usually look for the short stubby tail. Where are the bands so I'll know to look next time I see one?

Well, they have darker colored, orangish bands and markings. I say,"markings," because, depending on their age, their pattern varies.

Copperheads aren't short and stubby, moccasins are.

Moccasins look like slugs. Black, stubby and short. And, when they open their mouths, it's white as cotton. Hence...........

Moccasins are aggressive, and copperheads aren't supposed to be. The problem is, they blend in so well, they are often stepped on, and then they bite.

I'm sure one snake I saw today, in the water, was banded. I am used to seeing the black snakes, and know they aren't harmful.

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining. I don't know what the heck I've been calling copperheads then! :D I've been off looking at snake pages and found one where it said juvenile cottonmouths are often mistaken for copperheads so maybe thats what I was doing.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
found one where it said juvenile cottonmouths are often mistaken for copperheads so maybe thats what I was doing.

I read the same page today.

Thank goodness for the internet!

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
ACK!

When I saw this topic I thought, "Oh, cool! A nice chat about snakes. I like snakes, so this will be fun!"

ACK!

Not fun. Kill them. We have sweet garter snakes and lively black racers, and they keep the barn mouse population at bay. They are nice snakes.

There are BAD snakes not far from here, but they stay home. If they didn't, I'd probably move.

You could move.

You could fill the pond with concrete and call it a roller rink.

Is there a snake whisperer you can call? Herpeterminator?

CW, stop pushing! That lump on your chair is me, and you're taking up way too much space. If my toe hits the floor and I get snakebit, it'll be on your head!

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
You could move.

You could fill the pond with concrete and call it a roller rink.

Is there a snake whisperer you can call? Herpeterminator?

I don't want to move. Not yet, anyway.

We have TWO ponds in our yard. We have 5 acres, and half of it is two ponds. They are fabulous, but FULL Of snakes. The funny thing is: we spent weeks clearing paths and cleaning bushes and brush, so that we wouldn't have this huge problem now. It helped, but obviously not much.

We bought this place as a repo, and when the realtor cleared up the land for the bank before the sale, they killed about 10 rattlesnakes in our yard.

What is it about snakes that get people going so much? I mean, my heart races, I'm lightheaded, out of breath. It's very weird.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Eldragon...

Buy yourself a cuple of large king snakes and black snakes. The venomous population will drop dramatically.

The shotgun method works on the first generation, but you have to keep killing them. The king snake will simply make a meal of them.

awp

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
No, you put them on a leash and walk around the pond.

Yes, you'd have to turn them loose since the other snakes aren't going to crawl up to your door and ask if the king snake is in and can they be dinner. ;)

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
My husband's kind of soft-hearted ... he hates hurting anything, and he takes it much harder than me when a pet dies. But he'll kill snakes. He grew up in North Carolina where you get the copperheads and cottonmouths, and he was taught at an early age to get them before they get you.

He lives up in southern Ontario with me now, and we don't have any venomous snakes aside from some small rattlers in cottage country. When I was a kid, I ran around and grabbed garter and grass snakes and still will if I can find them, but he's squeamish of all snakes now.

Yeah, when you have kids, pets, etc, you can't really take a chance. It's sad, but their safety is first. It's not that snakes are always aggressive (talking about the small rattlers around here, I had a friend who would fish off a pier and the same rattlesnake would curl up in her shadow every day and go to sleep), and in fact, they'd rather not waste their venom on humans. But for those handful that are bold and aggressive, some things have to be done.

The king snake / black snake idea is an awesome one. :D

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:
No, you put them on a leash and walk around the pond.

Dave you are a man after my own heart. That sounds like something I would say. :D

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
Fern said:
Also, someone explained how water moccasins carry their babies to me.

I think "to me" should have come after "explained". At least I hope so--I'm sorry if water moccasins are carrying their babies to you. :)

-----------------

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
snakes

Leave the snakes alone, and they'll leave you alone. Snakes do not like people, and even poisonous snakes are highly beneficial. If you have mossasins, just stay out of the water. Copperheads really aren't much of a threat. I lived around them most of my life, and even a bite is almost never fatal, even without treatment.

The main things with snakes is to learn not to be afraid of them. Keep the high grass cut as much as possible, stay free of brush, and snakes shouldn't be a problem.

Your ponds should have snalkes in them. It's a sign of a healthy pond. You have the place where you live, so let the snakes have a place to live, too.
Fear of snakes is a far larger problem than any number of snakes.

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
Vomaxx said:
I think "to me" should have come after "explained". At least I hope so--I'm sorry if water moccasins are carrying their babies to you. :)

-----------------

:ROFL: I guess that's why that "preview" button is available. . .the one I, obviously, never use.

Jamesaritchie, I certainly agree with your comment about fear of snakes being the biggest problem. People just seem to have an automatic aversion to them (me included).

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I am terrifed of snakes...just reading this thread has given me a creepy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I've been known to hyperventilate until I nearly pass out just from seeing a snake in the yard. You don't even want to know what happens if I accidently get close to one! Tears flow, screaming starts...it's not a pretty sight. I hate them. I could never live in a place that had an abundance of snakes. I say shoot them!

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
wow! I was just walking by one of our ponds and thought that somehow a dog leash had been moved, but looking closer, it was an adult buttermilk racer snake. Here's a photo:
easternracer_big.jpg

The snake I saw was a good 5 foot long, and beautiful - black with white polka dots, actually.

I called my husband and daughter to come see it.

Last night, I was walking on the other side of the same pond when a glimpsed a very thick gray/black snake slithering quickly into the water. The interesting thing that happened next was that, to my left, was a black Southern racer snake, who I know is non-venomous. He was much smaller than the larger snake, but he appeared to be going after him. I love watching racers swim, and watched him until he figured out I was there, then he dipped under the water until only his head was out.

The big snake, I at first thought might be a water moccasin. But, he moved so fast, and water moccasins are supposed to be slow, and stand their ground. So, maybe he was something else.

Anyway, as often as I see snakes, it still surprises me! I'm really trying to learn the different types of snakes, so that we don't have to kill any needlessly.

Anyway, this buttermilk racer was beautiful!

BTW the photo is from the ARKANSAS state website. I couldn't have ran back to get my camera in time.