City Architechture Question

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to find out the reason for a certain building design. The picture below happens to be London, but I've seen this in NYC and Boston. What is the purpose of the half-basement? I've tried to look this up, but I'm probably not using the right term for those couple of steps down. My first thoughts were that the lowest level used to be for storage and it was easier to have a door directly down there, or that these were servants quarters, or that the level of the street has been raised from what it originally was. Perhaps that was even the carriage house at one time? Maybe multiple reasons?

If anyone can give me a definitive answer, and the proper name for it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

building__london.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One possible reason: it would allow for more natural light. That was more important back in the old days. Buildings need mechanical and utility spaces. And possibly servant's quarters.

And it allowed for the first floor level to be above street level. That was probably preferable when when was only a sidewalk in front of the building.

I was an architectural and engineering student, but I'm mostly guessing on this.

Last edited:

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Based on a house a lot like that which my family once lived in, it was the working servants quarters. As in kitchen and laundry. Some houses the servants would sleep in the attic, others they slept in the basement - even cots in the kitchen. From the size of those properties, I'd expect the servants to be sleeping in the attic.
(Not that we had servants. The basement had been converted into a garden flat and a new modern kitchen squeezed in upstairs.)
I'd say purely from common sense and vague knowledge, not actually period documents, that having that sort of basement with a raised pavement had various benefits.
The raised pavement got you above the muck of the street.
The basement would have better light AND ventilation - important for kitchen and laundry.
The rest of the house is raised a bit higher, so the principal living rooms are that bit higher up in terms of getting sunshine, getting a better view and being raised above the street for more privacy.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've lived in buildings like that. AlleyCat's nailed it, IMO. The lowest apartment still has some natural light (and ventilation, weather permitting), while the first-floor unit is not sitting with its windows right at sidewalk level, ripe for breaking and entering or requiring bars on its windows. (The view out your window would also be totally weird if you were level with passersby only a few feet from you and separated only by a pane of glass, wouldn't it?)

In Boston, building supers often live in one of the two half-basement units.

Maryn, formerly of Orkney Rd., Boston

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I know that street. My son is at University just around the corner.

Quite often, houses with basements like that are built on a hill so the basement is at ground level at the back of the house, but below ground level at the front. It's a practical thing.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
My first guess is that the buildings are on an incline, so designing it like that would maximize the layout and try to use whatever they can (like how many times the space under stairs would be used either as storage or a bathroom). This would allow an open space into the inclined part that would otherwise have been wasted.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you can determine when the building was first erected, and you know what the common applications and means of heating, plumbing, etc., were at that time, you can easily speculate as to the lowermost floor's intended use. As time marches on, technical advancements (utilities, etc.), economics, and social evolution will, of course, have significant effects on any subsequent renovations.

Sofie

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean areaways? They were often built to receive deliveries - that way servants could bring groceries straight down to the kitchens rather than use the main door or back. Wikipedia has a decent write-up on them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_%28architecture%29

Bit of interesting history there!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've seen lots of floor plans for such things. Usually those raised basements had the kitchen, laundry and a day room (often called a servants' hall) for the servants. Also the servants' entrance.

The floor above it is sometimes called the "piano nobile" (although it's usually not called that in the US) and was where the best living and reception spaces went.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! And thanks Sofie for find the terminology!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Simply a walk out basement. Puts the foundation below the frost line to keep freeze/thaw damage to a minimum. Usually living or business space in most areas.

Jeff

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
The kitty is correct.

Brownstones in NY pretty much all have basement/ground floor level apartments (the rare people that own the entire shebang I've seen use that for various things - as a kitchen/family room level, office/bedroom level, whatever level).

The windows let in light. There's can be a basement below that, btw, and those apartments can go out to the back garden, if there is one.

I'm only talking about NY; dunno the circumstance other places. It's not because of hills in the back or stuff - they're not like walkout basements in houses on hills. Also weren't really for utility stuff, to my knowledge. Most were living spaces afaik, and go out to the back.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, those are pretty big bays. They're almost like sunken mini-courtyards. The ones I've seen in NY are a lot narrower. Mostly on older buildings.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen that idea here, on modern, less impressive buildings, and, yeah, it gives natural light to the basements, which a) makes the basement rooms less claustrophobic, and b) in a lot of places, to count as a 'bedroom', a room has to have a window. So, if you want to up the price of your property by putting a suite in your basement, or even a couple of extra bedrooms, you need actual windows.

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen that idea here, on modern, less impressive buildings, and, yeah, it gives natural light to the basements, which a) makes the basement rooms less claustrophobic, and b) in a lot of places, to count as a 'bedroom', a room has to have a window. So, if you want to up the price of your property by putting a suite in your basement, or even a couple of extra bedrooms, you need actual windows.

+1

In most jurisdictions building codes require that those bedroom windows (ground level and below) be of adequate size to function as emergency access/exits. Always check with local code authorities.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
krashnburn the Google Streetview link was causing problems for many members because of bandwidth.

I've removed the link and substituted a screen shot of the building.

Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
krashnburn the Google Streetview link was causing problems for many members because of bandwidth.

I've removed the link and substituted a screen shot of the building.

Thanks for your understanding.

I'm sorry and thanks for the help!

Thanks everyone!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Always check with local code authorities.
Excellent advice no matter what you're thinking of doing to your house. Or, indeed, if the house you're thinking of buying seems to have been 'renovated' (if you can tell changes have been made - check!) at all.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
The kitty is correct.

Brownstones in NY pretty much all have basement/ground floor level apartments (the rare people that own the entire shebang I've seen use that for various things - as a kitchen/family room level, office/bedroom level, whatever level).

The windows let in light. There's can be a basement below that, btw, and those apartments can go out to the back garden, if there is one.

I'm only talking about NY; dunno the circumstance other places. It's not because of hills in the back or stuff - they're not like walkout basements in houses on hills. Also weren't really for utility stuff, to my knowledge. Most were living spaces afaik, and go out to the back.

Interesting thing I've found in my research - as fashionable neighborhoods moved during the 1800s, the brownstones got divided into apartments pretty quickly (~ 20 years after they were built) and often had a shop or cafe in that basement space even then.