Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
Seed Magazine is holding an essay contest on the following topic:
Amidst emerging competitive threats from abroad (China and India in particular) and heated debates over intelligent design, stem cells and climate change: What is the future of science in America? What should the US do to preserve and build upon its role as a leader in scientific innovation? Essay submissions will be judged by a panel of Seed editors, distinguished scientists and writers.

• Submission Deadline: June 30, 2006
  • Maximum Word Count: 2,000
  • Grand prize is $1,000 cash and publication in Seed magazine. Second place is $500, third place is $250.
All of the rules are here: http://seedmagazine.com/writingcontest/

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If anyone is interested in collaborating on this please drop me a line. I am elligible (legal US resident) but not Amercian and would love to have a collaborator who is. I am an active post-doctoral scientist with some strong ideas on the subject...

MarkN

Altogether Ookie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nutterwriter.wordpress.com
Caveat entrant, though. If you read the official rules, Seed Media Group is currently taking all rights, in perpetuity, for every entry submitted. Not just winning entries. Every entry. If you submit an essay, and are not one of the three winners, Seed Media gets all rights to your work at no compensation to you, and you'll be guilty of violating their copyright if you submit your (non-winning) essay anywhere else.

I just sent them a letter urging them to reconsider their terms, and I know of at least one science blogger who is doing the same.

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
MarkN said:
Caveat entrant, though. If you read the official rules, Seed Media Group is currently taking all rights, in perpetuity, for every entry submitted. Not just winning entries. Every entry. If you submit an essay, and are not one of the three winners, Seed Media gets all rights to your work at no compensation to you, and you'll be guilty of violating their copyright if you submit your (non-winning) essay anywhere else.
Thanks for pointing that out Mark, I hadn't noticed that in the fine print.

Status
Not open for further replies.