• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a beta reader/writing buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkiarrax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kiarrajulien.com
Hello everyone!

I recently got my passion reignited for writing. I am working on a current story that I do not have a name for at the moment...but I really really really want to get it published.

I have this thing I do where I start off strong, but lose the zest due to lack of feeback and/or writers block. This time will be different because I have the whole entire book planned out ahead of time, so I KNOW where I want it to go, and I have an idea about how I would like it to go.

I'm looking for someone to critique it for me. A beta reader. BUT It would be nice if you are writing something too, so we can help each other and you could be my writing buddy.

My story is a novel. Fiction. It's about 6 pages long so far (still on the first chapter still). I can post the summary here if anyone is interested? Please let me know.

THANKS!

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
After you have fifty posts, you can legally post some pages in the SYW (share your work) section.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's important that we all be on the same wavelength about terms when we look for readers to help us out with their feedback.

The term "beta reader" comes from the computer industry's beta testers, who'd use a program or play a game its creators thought was ready to market, seeking anything which might still be wrong with it so it could be fixed before going public.

For writers, a beta reader is the very last reader before a work is submitted to agents or publishers or is self-published. The work a beta reader goes over is complete. It has been edited for content and grammar, copy edited, proofread, spell checked, and polished to a tasteful gleam. It's totally ready to go.

It sounds like what you seek is critique. Which is fine, of course, and can be quite useful. With luck, using the right terms to ask for what you actually want will help you get it. Be aware, though, that new arrivals who have yet to make themselves a part of the community often don't get critique or beta reads when they ask. Both take time and expertise, not a gift bestowed on strangers.

I urge you to participate, including critique of other people's writing, and in no time you'll have the 50 posts required to post a part of your work at the appropriate Share Your Work board, all the while making yourself somebody we've seen around, like well enough, and who we might do a big favor for if time permits.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

khobar

Be constructive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpnixon.com
Maryn - Shante said she was looking for a critique, right before she mentioned "beta reader". I don't think any serious writer would be the least bit confused by what she was asking for.

I think it's an excellent idea to suggest people participate in the community, but a lot of folks are turned off by the outright hostility shown to some who do.

xkiarrax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kiarrajulien.com
Thanks for the advice Maryn.

and yes, Khobar is right, I just want to be critiqued, but now I see I'll have to post in the 'share your work' section when I get 50 posts. thanks.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Before you garner 50 posts, you can try getting critiques in the "Hook me in 200 words or less" in some Share Your Works forums. There are even "[Critique Game] Post the First Three Sentences.." threads in the Novels & Short Story forums. You don't need 50 posts to participate in these threads. Of course you're welcome to participate in critiquing other people's works (you'll be amazed at how good great you are as a critic) which is one of the best ways of improving your own writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.