Sci-fi- creating a flying angel (and other powers)

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
What kind of modifications would one have to do to give a human the ability to fly? I know it isn't possible with the technology of today, but suspension of disbelief goes some way. What kind of operations and things? I'm thinking that the muscle mass would have to go down, and perhaps get rid of other unneeded weight- the appendix can be removed. Skeleton replacement to a lighter one (Of course, this would affect a huge number of things- blood cell regeneration, growth changes, etc.) but it could be one that can somehow regenerate similar to a real one- perhaps a superstrong organic carbon based sort of thing. The heart and lungs would be changed to artificial ones- an electric motor type heart would remove the heartbeat altogether, just pumping the blood continually. The wings would have to be connected to the brain to send signals, and the wings would have to be big enough to support flight. (so much bigger than what you see on book covers these days- but how big, I'm not sure.) Also, the immune response to a foreign thing coming into contact with the body is another issue. The explanation doesn't have to be too detailed as to how the operation is done, but I need the main points covered- what else is there in how to make someone fly?

Also, (for bonus points since it is going this far) what semi-realistic powers can be given to a human? I've got cat's eyes to see in the dark, claws that can come out of the fingertips (not that realistic), and non-decaying replacement teeth that will be integrated-there are others, certainly.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm not sure the appendix makes all that much difference to weight.

You could use birds as your model, but it might be worth having a look at the anatomy and physiology of flying foxes (Pteropus).

Or just stick your humans in ultralights.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert by far, but my immediate thought would be that you'd have to form a "human" around the wings. We don't just walk with our legs--our entire body helps us. To just move the legs we need 3/4 of our body from the bottom up, and the rest is used to maintain or balance us. With birds, it's the same; most of their body is build to move their wings, the rest is to help them to keep moving correctly. So, my thought is we just couldn't upgrade a human and slap on some wings; we'd have to recreate a human around wings, and by that point I don't think we have a human we'd recognize as a "normal" appearing human.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm not sure the appendix makes all that much difference to weight.

You could use birds as your model, but it might be worth having a look at the anatomy and physiology of flying foxes (Pteropus).

Or just stick your humans in ultralights.

The appendix probably won't do much, but every penny counts, right?

I did see some books on birds- they have really big wings relative to their bodies, and their bones are hollow. I think that part can be crossed over. Bat structure could be an alternative, but I think it has more of a limit to how big the wings can get. I think the limit would be too small.

Gotta do it the hard way, dem ultralights would be cheating :'(

I think maybe going partway-not making the whole body made for flying, but perhaps using the arms as well to help in flight, might make a difference? But that's kinda unwieldy.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Birds and bats have different ways of powering the wings. It involves more than just the size of wings and the fine structure of the bones. With birds, there's a sort of pulley system with the two sets of pectoral muscles providing power for the up and down strokes of the wings. There's also substantial fusion of bones to provide rigidity for to offset the impact of wing beats.

With bats, which are closer to humans in basic structure, the up and down strokes of the wings are created by the shoulder and back muscles. If you've ever been close to a flying fox in action, you'll see that they have very big wings in relation to the body size.

In both types of animals, the down stroke is the one that's most important in flight, of course, so you'll have to think about how to power that without creating something that is too heavy to lift off.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Birds and bats have different ways of powering the wings. It involves more than just the size of wings and the fine structure of the bones. With birds, there's a sort of pulley system with the two sets of pectoral muscles providing power for the up and down strokes of the wings. There's also substantial fusion of bones to provide rigidity for to offset the impact of wing beats.

With bats, which are closer to humans in basic structure, the up and down strokes of the wings are created by the shoulder and back muscles. If you've ever been close to a flying fox in action, you'll see that they have very big wings in relation to the body size.

In both types of animals, the down stroke is the one that's most important in flight, of course, so you'll have to think about how to power that without creating something that is too heavy to lift off.

I think bionic assisted power can help. But, using the bat structure seems more promising than the bird one, I think the forearm bit can be extended as well. I think that there is more parts of the human body that can be used similar to a bat rather than being a dead weight and useless to flight than the bird structure. Although aesthetically speaking, the bird one seems better to me. I think that the wings would have to be bigger in proportion to the body than a bat or bird, since it is not suited for flying. Maybe I can guesstimate.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I think maybe going partway-not making the whole body made for flying, but perhaps using the arms as well to help in flight, might make a difference? But that's kinda unwieldy.

My thought is that even if you'd remove the arms and make all the muscle groups on the chest and back move the wings, you still wouldn't have enough force to move wings large enough for flight--let alone flight.

I think you're going to run into problems when you try to have the human body apply force to the wings. I'd shift focus more on how the wings achieve flight by themselves, or assisted by the body. Something like the wings have power and motors strong enough to move themselves and propel the human being, while the connection between the human and wings is more for control.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Even putting huge wings on the characters, you would have to greatly reduce the weight of the humans. Golden eagles have a maxamum wingspan of almost 8 feet and weigh about 8 pounds. An aeronautical engineer might be able to figure out how big the wings of a 100 pound bird would have to be, but they would be huge and fragile. Even if you shrank the humans down to 50 pounds they would be several times as large as the largest birds.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I think that if the power per wingbeat were increased, then the wingspan could be reduced; as power goes up, wingspan goes down. Or as the number of wingbeats per unit of time goes up, wings can get smaller as well, like a hummingbird. Or even insects; that would be a better example. But in that case, it seems like having smaller wings in relation to body size only works moreso as overall size decreases. In addition, the flight cannot be sustained long- I expect the cardiovascular system would be similar to a sprinter's, considering the weight of a human in relation to a bird. Perhaps making it like that would be more doable? At this point, I'm thinking the setup would be big wings, low wingbeats, short flight time. Perhaps a bit like a glider that needs an occasional boost (using a wingbeat in this case) and a locking mechanism similar to an albatross to conserve energy and extend flight time without relying on more power.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
You might want to look at some of the larger flying things. The Andean condor weighs 33 pounds and has a 10 foot wingspan, so you might be able to scale that up for 100 pound humans. They'd have twenty to thirty foot wingspans, and like the condors, they would prefer windy areas where the winds could help to keep them aloft. Maing the wings wider with longer feathers might help, because total area of the wings would be significant, and feathers are lighter than skin and bones.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birds/andean-condor/

Flying foxes are too small to be useful, but they show a different method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FK9tWT5pA4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_flying_fox

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
You might want to look at some of the larger flying things. The Andean condor weighs 33 pounds and has a 10 foot wingspan, so you might be able to scale that up for 100 pound humans. They'd have twenty to thirty foot wingspans, and like the condors, they would prefer windy areas where the winds could help to keep them aloft. Maing the wings wider with longer feathers might help, because total area of the wings would be significant, and feathers are lighter than skin and bones.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birds/andean-condor/

Flying foxes are too small to be useful, but they show a different method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FK9tWT5pA4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_flying_fox

I think simply scaling up might not work, as physics doesn't work that way. For example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioYE_6Lx_hA (too bad Clarkson got suspended)
This is why cells, bugs, birds, etc. have a size limit. Then again, since the flight doesn't have to be as long or fast or as good as a real creature, it kind of cancels that bit out. Although how much, I don't really know. But it would have to big for sure. Thanks for the link.

Quetzalcoatlus was the biggest creature capable of flight apparently. There is still debate as to how it flew, but one school of thought is how I envision this scenario: "Habib believes that large pterosaurs most likely utilized a short burst of powered flight in order to then transition to thermal soaring."- Wikipedia. Basically power up to air, then mostly glide for the remainder like an albatross.

Last edited:

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
How I did it in a previous story was to create a biological process that would produce wings and armor composed of naturally superconducting material similar to scales that was itself connected to the Earth's magnetic field. Unless it was moved or had something to push against (like air or water), the person had a tendency to stay locked in place. Hovering was quite easy.

Now, how realistic is that? The Earth's magnetic field is 10[SUP]-5[/SUP]T while a neodymium magnet is about 1.25T, and neodymium magnets are the type that they used in the videos of the superconducting puck racing around on top of a track of magnets. (X)

so, you know, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I think simply scaling up might not work, as physics doesn't work that way. For example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioYE_6Lx_hA (too bad Clarkson got suspended)
This is why cells, bugs, birds, etc. have a size limit. Then again, since the flight doesn't have to be as long or fast or as good as a real creature, it kind of cancels that bit out. Although how much, I don't really know. But it would have to big for sure. Thanks for the link.

There a big difference between scaling up from a 33 pounf condor and a 100 pound "human" and scaling up from a model car to a real one. Tripling the volume and weight isn't all that much factoring up by 1000 is a different matter.

Quetzalcoatlus was the biggest creature capable of flight apparently. There is still debate as to how it flew, but one school of thought is how I envision this scenario: "Habib believes that large pterosaurs most likely utilized a short burst of powered flight in order to then transition to thermal soaring."- Wikipedia. Basically power up to air, then mostly glide for the remainder like an albatross.

So go with it.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's SF/Fantasy. You really don't need to explain this idea. In fact, I wouldn't want to read much of an explanation for this, outside the context of story. It's a lot like FTL or time travel. Your intended audience is open to acceptance of realistically impossible mechanics, as long as it makes a good story (think Star Trek). I'll accept the idea of dilithium crystals being a fuel for warp-speed interstellar travel, as long as the story works. It would be the same with humanlike "angels". Just make it so.

caw

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
It's SF/Fantasy. You really don't need to explain this idea. In fact, I wouldn't want to read much of an explanation for this, outside the context of story. It's a lot like FTL or time travel. Your intended audience is open to acceptance of realistically impossible mechanics, as long as it makes a good story (think Star Trek). I'll accept the idea of dilithium crystals being a fuel for warp-speed interstellar travel, as long as the story works. It would be the same with humanlike "angels". Just make it so.

caw

I agree with this. It's similar to what I was thinking about posting on this thread myself. (Got beaten to it because I had to think about how to best say it.)

I don't think SFF fans will have problems with just a statement that there are people with bioengineered wings that look like and angels and can fly.
Or you can use mechanical/electronic technology. Marvel's The Vulture is a good example, and I think his powers do what you want to do.

If you want scientific accuracy, I think you'd have to go outside of something being seen as human by us today. And unless you want humans who want to be birds, that would kind of defeat the purpose.

You can however use other types of technology.
-Change a bird's brain to a harddisk and upload human consciousness to it, is one option.
-Anti-gravity tech is another option. (According to a 1990s "conspiracy" theory, that is alien tech that among other things make the B-2 bomber fly.) You could still have wings, but they would be for show.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Alright, so I think I'll give a basic scientific explanation and follow basic principles, and not go too much into it. That generally seems like the best way to go about it. Thanks for all the help!

JalexM

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, so I think I'll give a basic scientific explanation and follow basic principles, and not go too much into it. That generally seems like the best way to go about it. Thanks for all the help!
Unless you're writing super hard sci fiction then all you need is enough description to suspend disbelief.

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
I was listening to a podcast recently (Startalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson) and he had Richard Dawkins on, who basically said that angel wings just couldn't be done on a human-sized and human-shaped organism.

But then he said that a fairy-sized creature is doable, since they require much less muscle to get off the ground, and can get away with having an ostensibly human-like appearance.

Another option would be to make your angel more bird-like, or just go completely Old Testament on your readers and come up with some kind of "burning wheel" creature that is so far removed from what counts as "human" that your readers won't be bothered about whether a human being can fly.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Deepthought, I think you've got some ideas sorted out now, but I just wanted to comment on something said in passing upthread about insects.

Insects have a couple of ways of powering flight. The ones with slow wing beats power the wings directly with muscles that pull the wings up or down. The ones with very fast wing beats use a fascinating bistable click mechanism -- the chitinous exoskeleton is structured in such a way that a wing is only stable in either the up or down position. This means the muscles don't have to do as much work. All they do is pull the wing into an unstable position and off it goes.

It might be worth having a look at that. (If only to be wowed by evolution!)

Euphoric Mania

Registered
Reaction score
A difficult question.

I make somewhat of a hobby out of trying to make fantasy creatures physically possible. That means I try to design things like dragons and gryphons so that they'd be able to physically function in our world without magic and without altering the laws of physics. I do some reading now and then on the net, to figure this stuff out (I am by no means a physicist or whatever, lol. But you'd be surprised what Google will tell you.)

One of those things you might think about is wing placement. In a dragon, for instance, it's rather clumsy to have the wings at the front of the body; as someone once said, it creates a "butt dragging dragon", which I agree is somewhat unsightly (it's seen in a lot of art. Grates on my nerves.) So the correction for that mistake would be to move the wings back on the body, and modify their structure to balance the creature in flight.

It would probably be a similar concept in a humanoid creature.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
dr/

But you'd be surprised what Google will tell you.

That's true. I looked up grindr once because I thought it was instagram and I didn't know what instagram was - I still don't: I haven't dared to google it :granny: - and grindr wasn't at all what I thought it was. You'd be surprised.

ETA: /dr

Last edited:

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
A difficult question.

I make somewhat of a hobby out of trying to make fantasy creatures physically possible. That means I try to design things like dragons and gryphons so that they'd be able to physically function in our world without magic and without altering the laws of physics. I do some reading now and then on the net, to figure this stuff out (I am by no means a physicist or whatever, lol. But you'd be surprised what Google will tell you.)

One of those things you might think about is wing placement. In a dragon, for instance, it's rather clumsy to have the wings at the front of the body; as someone once said, it creates a "butt dragging dragon", which I agree is somewhat unsightly (it's seen in a lot of art. Grates on my nerves.) So the correction for that mistake would be to move the wings back on the body, and modify their structure to balance the creature in flight.

It would probably be a similar concept in a humanoid creature.

Yeah, a 50:50 weight distribution would be ideal. Working in an auto body repair shop with my father, I remember having to jack the car up, but it was near the front where we used the jack; the engine took up most of the weight. To figure it out the balancing point for a human, I'll be using the most scientifically accurate method known: planking :)