Left Side Pain

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
If you see a health article with the title "Left Side Pain," what all (or what only) would you expect to find in the article?

The article would have a list of causes of left side pain with related symptoms.

I'm not asking for the actual causes but which body regions should the "left side" include. I have a pretty good idea what "side" means but I want to be sure about it's actual usage.

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
If you see a health article with the title "Left Side Pain," what all (or what only) would you expect to find in the article?

The article would have a list of causes of left side pain with related symptoms.

I'm not asking for the actual causes but which body regions should the "left side" include. I have a pretty good idea what "side" means but I want to be sure about it's actual usage.

Renal or ureteral stone. Low rib fracture. Spleen (infarct or trauma), diverticulitis or pyelonephritis. Those are the differential diagnosis for left abdominal or flank pain.

Is that what you are looking for?

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
What exactly do people think when they say "left side pain?"

1. Left abdominal pain (the front part on the left side of the belly button)
2. Left flank (the left middle part of the back, where the left kidney is)

So, is the term "side" more specific than just the entire side of the trunk?

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
What's the purpose of this question, boron? If you're writing an article, it's up to you to decide what it's about.

Your question is extremely general. Think of it this way - can you go into a library and find the answer? If not, then you either need to refine the question or you're asking in the wrong forum.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I was intending to write an article about "Left Side Pain," which would include a list of causes with related symptoms, but then I realized I'm not sure what exactly the "side" means - the side of the abdomen or side of the back or both.

OK, I'll probably go with this: "Side pain is discomfort that occurs on the left or right side of the torso between the armpits (axilla) and the hips."

Last edited:

Foolonthehill

Registered
Reaction score
"side" would most likely mean Hip and upwards or lower abdomen, you can google this and find every horrific illness ever..... even when most often the pain is nothing serious.... so... there you go

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I thought of everything to the left of a line drawn down the center of the body from crown to floor - for me it included head, leg, arm...

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
On the left side of the body, as opposed to the right- it always makes me think of the abdominal area.

Left side abdominal pain makes me think of colon cancer/issues.
Ride side pain- appendicitis, gallstones, etc.

In general surgery they would say Right upper quadrant pain, right lower quadrant pain- things like that

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
I've read that right side abdominal pain or swelling is the liver, and left side could be stomach, kidneys, some kind of intestinal issue

Dave Williams

Zappa isn't frank!
Registered
Reaction score
When I think "left side pain" I think "heart attack."

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Left side pain to me would mean anything from the left little toe to the top of the head. Stroke or MS would probably be my first thought.