The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I saw this show during the weekend and I was hooked! I didn't realize how much I missed 30 Rock-type of humor before. I think I need to watch it again to catch all the jokes!

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVED it! I think it's adorable. My husband didn't mind it too much while we were intoxicated, but when we were sober the next day, he couldn't take too much of it. I still have 2 episodes to watch, I think.

hefronica

Registered
Reaction score

Tailcoat

Hugger of Kittens
Registered
Reaction score
but when we were sober the next day, he couldn't take too much of it.

If he can get through 10 seconds, then he can start working on the next 10 seconds and then the next 10 seconds... :tongue

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
"Unicorns aren't--"
"--OFFENDED BY STRONG LANGUAGE; their magic protects them!"

died
this show killed me

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I just binge-watched this show and thought it was fantastic. I laughed SO FREAKIN' HARD. I haven't seen much by Fey (I know I know…I now need to watch 30 Rock etc!), but want to. Also…really want season 2 already :D

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I love the signs in the kitchen that Kimmy was doing the grocery shopping. The giant tins of applesauce, or the time she came back and unpacked boxes of instant mashed potatoes.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Great show, and just like 30 Rock will need re-watching to catch everything.

Sumi Long

Registered
Reaction score
Binge watched this show last week and I can't wait for the second season. It's hilarious.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, who else here has binge watched Tina Fey's new comedy, which is one of those ideas that sounds like it really shouldn't work but it does because it is being written by people who are not morons?

The premise is that Kimmy Schmidt was kidnapped from middle school by an terrible wedding DJer/insane cult leader named Richard Wayne Gary Wayne and kept in a bunker with three other women he kidnapped for fifteen years.

Then they got rescued. And after a short, exploitative stint with the mass media, Kimmy decides to remake herself in New York and gets a room with a fabulous gay black man named Titus Andromedon.

The show...should not be funny. Or if it was funny, it should be darkly funny.

But the tone isn't dark. If you just looked at the color scheme and watched the main character without any jokes referring to her time in the bunker showing up, you wouldn't be that off base to think it was a light hearted sitcom through and through. A big part of that is because Kimmy Schmidt is...well, unbreakable. She refuses to ever give up, and keeps pushing on with an infectious optimism that vibrates from every frame.

Now, the show has gotten some flack for its depiction of race - specifically, one character is revealed to be a Lakota passing as white, and there is a Korean immigrant love interest. Whether these elements are game breakers for you is really up to other people...I didn't find it too objectionable.

But...I was too busy rolling on the floor laughing my face off, so I might have missed something.

The show's on Netflix!

Also, it has a stupidly addictive theme song.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I've only watched the first few (Mr. Grr works in a different state, so I wait for him to be home on weekends to watch), but I really like it. I think they've managed to find a good balance with this show. It's really funny, but Kimmy is still dealing with some pretty dark stuff after her time in the bunker, and they manage to show that while not making fun of her or turning that part of it into something light and fluffy.

TGrace

Registered
Reaction score
I binge-watched the whole thing in about two days. I probably wouldn't have watched it in the first place if it wasn't Tina Fey's idea, but since she's in charge of it, it really works. I felt like I really got to know the characters over the course of the season, which is really nice in a comedy series. While some of it was simply funny, over the top jokes, a lot of it was actual plot arcs and character development that gave the season a real shape. I'm excited for the next season, whenever they decide to make it. Super glad it found a home at Netflix! NBC really missed out when they decided to cut it from their slate.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Love this show and look forward to watching the next season whenever it comes out on Netflix. It's funny and clever, darkly lit but bright.

Anyone else find Xanthippe way to close to a real teenager for comfort? I squirmed like a sea monkey during her scenes. Did I mention I have a 15-year-old daughter? You can tell Tina Fey truly knows teenagers just as well as she did when she wrote Mean Girls.

And Carol Kane. 'Nuff said!

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
Best show. BEST. SHOW.

I love it. It could have gone VERY dark (it is a show about a kidnapping and rape survivor, after all), but Ellie Kemper just brings this amazing, "Nickelodeon tween show" sort of sunny optimism to it that is just perfect. Kimmy Schmidt really IS unbreakable.

There's not one character I don't love, but Carol Kane is especially genius as Lillian (and who doesn't love a batty landlady?).

I kinda wish it was weekly, though. Because waiting a whole year for the next season is gonna be torture. I guess I'll just have to take it 10 seconds at a time.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I've watched a few episodes. It's cute. I'm a really hard sell on comedy shows. I loved 30 Rock, so I can pick up on the subtle flair/style for sure. It just hasn't exactly captured me yet. I feel like these are still actors performing (except for the actress playing Kimmy--she's nailing it). Everyone else seems to be waiting for their turn to talk/speak/say lines. I imagine that will change as the show gets into its groove.

Again, I'm seriously very picky about comedy. I have watched 3 comedy shows in the last 15 years on a regular basis. 30 Rock was one of them. So, I'm going to sound more grumpy than I should.

It's better than 95% of what's out there.

I'll stick with it. :)