Calling endurance riders!

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
If you were doing a really, really long ride, as in a month of riding, what kind of pace would you set a day and roughly how far do you think it would be? I know that it depends on the terrain and the condition of horse and rider, but assuming a fit and experienced horse-rider team and a rough ballpark for length and paces will do.
If you were in a hurry to get there but didn't want to kill your horse and knew it would have a chance to rest afterwards, what sort of pace would you then set?

And do feel absolutely free to spout any other wisdom you have on the subject. Horsecare, terrain to avoid, terrain that encourages certain gaits, etc., etc.. You can only get info too rarely and redundancies are better than a failure! :D And I really want to know as much as I can without actually doing the riding... which, sadly, isn't an option. I think I'd love it.

Uh. Thanks in advance for all help!

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Endurance is fun! But grueling.

I believe when you're really going the distance like that, ten to eighteen miles a day is a reasonable pace. But of course, there are a lot of variables.

On the other hand, horses regularly do a hundred in a day at rides like Tevis or Big Horn. But those horses don't do much the following week.

The average ride length in the US is fifty miles. Twenty-five miles are also common.

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
A month of riding is a long time. Starting question is whether the rider needs to bring supplies or whether he'll be stopping at someplace with supplies every night?

Next question is how much does the rider need to protect the horse? Would a replacement horse be available if the first horse injures itself?

Ten miles a day for thirty days will get you 300 miles. The longest endurance race now is the Shahzada, 250 miles in about 30 hours.

Here's a nice website for a quick review of some of the long trips taken on horses -- http://www.thelongridersguild.com/history-of-ET-2012.htm

Figure out your distance and your support structure and then we can give you an idea of how to do it.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
What I'm getting is that it depends somewhat on how much of a clock you're on, and how much time the horse can spend on its back afterwards. Strange horse, sleeping on its back.
The time/distance graph kind of oddly overlap at around 300 miles, from what you tell me.

Figure out your distance and your support structure and then we can give you an idea of how to do it.

So if you had to go, say, 850 miles, with two horses, stopping every few nights to resupply?

How much of various gaits would you do, just walking and some trotting or would you do some stretches of gallop? Is there anything you guys would never go on a ride without?

jclarkdawe, I can't help but notice that the link you've provided me, while fascinating and informative, isn't giving a lot of arrival dates. It also raised a new question: would you say it's better to have a dedicated pack horse or to vary between having one ride-and-pack horse and one naked? You'd have to travel pretty lightly, but that can be done.

Burning Mustang: Complete aside, I seem to remember you saying on another thread that your horses were barefoot? If so, do you still pick your horses hooves? It's been some years since I last rode, and that was on shod horses, and I was told to be very careful to pick their hooves fully.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
There was a rider who left San Francisco to either Portland or Seattle who rode at a fast pace. I'll have to see whether I can find the information.

Anyway, if I was going 850 miles with a supply place somewhere in the middle, here's how I'd approach it. Equipment would be a hoof pick, about ten pounds of jerky and biscuits, a slicker, maybe a coffee pot and some coffee, and twenty pounds of grain. Not much more than that in supplies.

One horse ridden and the other horse led naked. About every three hours I'd get off an walk about a mile or so. Horses' pace would be mainly walking, some trotting and some loping. Aim would be an average of a minimum of 5 to 6 miles an hour. I should be able to get to the halfway point in about three days, riding 24 hours per day. Sleep would be in the saddle, and a short break of a couple of hours each night.

At the halfway point, take 24 hours off, then finish the ride, ideally swapping out the horses at that point. You've got to be good at assessing your horses. And I'm going to be beating the horses into the ground. In the end, they're going to need two or three months off. They'll probably lose a hundred or more pounds.

But I could do it in about seven or eight days. None of us will be very happy, but it's doable.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to second JCD's advice on walking yourself and expand on it.

I never actually competed in endurance rides, but I did train for them.

If you're not trotting, the accepted wisdom was to walk yourself whenever possible. There's no point in tiring the horse if you can go as fast as it can. Endurance riders quite often wear sneakers instead of boots because they're easier to walk in.

Cantering is to be avoided; it tires the horse. And it's easier on the horse (and rider) if you post a trot.

You'd want a lightweight saddle. Endurance saddles are all chosen for the lightest weight possible. If you aren't that specialized in your tack, English would be better than Western, although they have a distressing lack of places to attach packs. Still, I did a lot of miles in my English saddle.

As to mileage, there are so many variables. First, the best bet is usually to start with an Arab horse, or an Arab cross. Although the Tevis (which is run in my neighborhood) has been ridden successfully by people on mules.

Also, the terrain is a huge factor. Are you crossing the plains or the Sierras? Is there water regularly available? Grass?

If the terrain is not too difficult and you and your horse are fit, twenty to twenty-five miles a day is a reasonable goal. It would depend on how badly you had to get there, and whether you were attached to your horse and wanted to avoid permanently damaging him/her in the process. I've heard of others going farther. I assume you're not worried about passing vet checks.

And you ALWAYS want to check your horse's feet frequently. A stone can get in there, even if they're shod, and bruise the foot. If they are shod (and most are), I know of many riders who carried what everyone called booties, although I'm sure there is a more formal name for the thing. It fit over the horse's entire hoof, and functioned as a temporary shoe, in case your horse threw one.

I'd carry pellets instead of grain, but my horses weren't used to grain much. A lot of it is what diet horses are used to. Some of them colic whenever they have a diet change.

Hope this helps.

Religion0

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much! You're being super helpful! :D

The terrain is hilly, for the most part, but it's not far from mountains so it has some craggy features. There are creeks and various other bodies of water along the way, maybe a bit off the trail but I'm thinking it's a worthwhile detour. There's grass, but it's the dry season, so it's... well it's hardy, dry stuff. I don't know, actually, but I'm thinking it doesn't make for a good meal on its own.

At the halfway point, take 24 hours off, then finish the ride, ideally swapping out the horses at that point.
So you'd ride horse number one for the first three days, then switch here?

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
You switch horses every two to six hours. It depends upon the horses. I'd probably switch every time I got off.

Depending upon the horse, either uphill or downhill will be harder on them. Some riders like to control the horse's pace on slopes, my view is the horse knows what feels best. But the best approach to slopes is to avoid them. Riding three times as far but avoiding slopes is a worthwhile detour.

Water crossings are not much of an issue for the horses. Concern is whether the bottom is too rocky with a lot of current. Horses that are used to it swim, and some of them really like it. A lot of horses in shallower water will have a desire to roll.

Dry grass has lost a bit of nutritional value and will need more water to properly digest. Other than that, horses are fine with dry grass. Horses are fussy eaters, and like to travel to find the good stuff. In the wild, horses are known to travel 40 - 50 miles a day for graze and water.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe