Writing at a bar, opinions?

Coreyt0304

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of bringing my laptop to a nearby bar, and sitting in a booth and writing a bit. I figure a change of scenery (in house all week caring for mother and grandmother) would do me good, and I have heard other authors (though they ended up with liver issues later lol) wrote at bars, and I'm just curious what everyones view is on it.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't tried writing at a bar, other than the hotel bar when I've gone to conferences. I'm more prone to write in coffee houses.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Especially when I was doing a lot of work-related travel, I wrote a lot at bars/restaurants/coffee shops, and libraries.

If you write at a bar or restaurant, buy something every hour or so, and tip well. You're taking up table space, and that means lost customers for the business. So make it worth their while so they'll be happy to see you come back.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I have done it but pre-laptop. I scribbled away a long weekend at a table in a bar/restaurant in Puebla, Mexico using a tablet and pen. I was a tourist at the time, at the Hotel Colonial. My room was too noisy for writing. As I remember there was a vender selling made- on- the- spot- potato chips just under my window. They were delicious but distracting. I noticed that the bar was empty most of the morning and afternoon so I staked out a table. I was on a meal plan so my meals were pre-paid but I had a glass of wine every hour or so. Not as good as the potato chips but not nearly as fattening. What I was writing was eventually published. I always think back on that long weekend as one of the most productive and tranquil in my life. --s6

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I write everywhere (though I don't go to many bars, myself). I have to travel for work all the time, so I write in restaurants a lot. If I'm looking to get out of the apartment, I'll hit a coffeehouse or a Panera (where it's almost expected that people will bring their laptops and work these days). I try to order a dessert or some kind of drink that costs money later in a restaurant if I'm there for a long time and they have options that meet my tastes. That way I feel like I'm justifying the time. I also tend to tip big, especially when I'm on the road for work.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously though, I have written in bars. I wouldn't take a laptop even if I had one. Notebook only. A great place for character sketches.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I do it a lot. Well not as much as I would like. But whenever I get the chance. Only on paper though, and while waiting for my beer buddy to arrive at the start of the night.

Depends on the pub of course and time of day/night. It's hard to focus once the band starts to play.

Rotes

Crazy Opossum Lady
Registered
Reaction score
It still amazes me that people can write in public spaces.
I tried to write in a coffee shop once. I threw up. Not even kidding.

Sometimes I can write in the school library late at night. In all fairness, it's abandon, enormous, and dark.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While I don't write well in bars, coffeehouses, libraries, etc., I've tried enough times to see that many do. I agree with AW Admin that since you are occupying a table, you do need to make an hourly purchase and to tip well when you go.

I also don't write well when drinking, so if it were me, I'd be ordering non-alcoholic beverages or choosing another place. Coffeehouses mid-afternoon can be half-empty, and when you leave, you can even get something to go that'll be good for snacking or breakfast.

Maryn, Panera Bread afficionado

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
Dive bars on weeknights are the best. The regulars might talk with you but won't distract you as much as a busy bar and the drinks are usually cheaper, unless it's a hip dive. You might even hear stories and meet future characters. It really depends on the vibe that you want to go in to the book. Maybe don't bring the laptop for the first time and just work with pen and paper?

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Go for it! Although I'm a firm believer in writing, not typing, in public spaces.

JJ-Kitts

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Envious! If I had a bar nearby, I would certainly do this. Any bar I have ever been in has been full of characters and interesting conversation. If not inspiration for the current work, type in any ideas, bits of conversation, characters in block quotes so you can go back and grab them later and keep typing on your wip.
Eavesdrop and People Watch!!!!

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
It still amazes me that people can write in public spaces.
I tried to write in a coffee shop once. I threw up. Not even kidding.

Sometimes I can write in the school library late at night. In all fairness, it's abandon, enormous, and dark.

Yeah, me too! Except for the part about throwing up, fortunately. :scared:

I can write at least a few paragraphs while tucked away in a quiet corner of a college library at night, but not in a coffeehouse, bar, restaurant, etc. Too busy, too noisy, too everything.

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
My first reaction to this thread was "How could anyone get anything done with music blasting and everyone yelling and the lights being low and random guys constantly trying to talk to you/hit on you even when you're just trying to stay off in the corner and mind your own business?" and then I realized that the implication is probably "in a bar during the day" which is something I've never done. looool. I'll write in coffee shops as long as I can sit in a corner/angled where no one can see what's on my screen :p. Agree with the notion of regular purchases while you're using the space!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I write in cafes and libraries and occasionally at picnic tables. The local library is my main haunt at this time of year because it has air conditioning. In the dry season, picnic tables are great, although it can be difficult to get one sometimes, because that's peak tourist time.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I do coffee shops and "nice" bars with booths all the time. The staff know what I want as soon as I come in, and ask me how the book is going. I do bring earplugs sometimes.

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I've never written in a bar, though there are some nice ones I'd like to try working in. I seem to be very productive in coffee shops, somehow. Notebooks, not laptop though. Something about the lack of a computer screen instills mass productivity somehow :D And as others have said, it's a great way to people watch and get ideas. I get a lot of ideas for mannerism and other small things that way.

Reaction score
Bars are a bit too loud to write for my tastes, and the table surface is sometimes not entirely clean, either. Plus, all the alcohol does not necessarily lead to better work (although it might, sometimes). Since my preferred writing tool is a notebook and pen, my favorite place to write is on trains, at night, when there is no scenery to distract me from the work.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Dive bars on weeknights are the best.

Dive bars are my very favorite kind of bar. I also like yuppie bars. (Not sure if anyone actually uses the term "yuppie" anymore, but I don't know the current word that has taken it's place). If I were able to successfully write in a public place, those would be my choices. Both types usually have a fun but civil atmosphere, with an interesting bunch of patrons.

Worst of all would be a sports bar. I think sports are OK and I love bars but for some reason I don't like sports bars. And I can't understand how anyone would be able to get any writing done in such a place. Too much high-fiving, trash-talking, belly-bumping, and other forms of debauchery. I mean, c'mon man...watch the game, eat your platter of hot wings & double deep-fried mozzarrella sticks, drink your Bud Light, and STFU! :rant:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have written poems and worked on manuscripts in coffee houses and restaurants, using pen and paper as well as my computer, but I prefer pen and paper. I tried a bar during the day once, but found the lighting and ambiance didn't match my needs. I find I am more productive with pen and paper than a laptop in public spaces. Also, going to the bathroom is harrowing for me if I have the laptop due to my fear it will be stolen, so I tend to leave it at home.

You won't know if you like the space until you try it out. My recommendation would be to try it out with a pen and paper first, then if you feel ok with it and need your laptop, take it the next time.