Multiple Offers and Completely Torn

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethlimbooks.com
Hi everyone,

I'm in the lucky position of having two offers for my novel, but I have to decide by Tuesday, and I'm completely torn. Can I get some help? Happy to PM the agents' names if that would help.

Agent #1 is like my kindred soul. Really loved talking to her on the phone, she totally gets and loves my genre and book, and I could see her as becoming a really close friend. I got to talk to some of her clients, who raved about her. Only thing is she's relatively new, doesn't have that many sales in my genre (yet), and isn't asking for major revisions (don't know if that's good or bad).

Agent #2 has been in the industry for over 30 years, has several big name clients, and has sold tons and tons of books. She says my MS needs lots of work before sending out to editors, and I agree with most of her suggestions. But I didn't get the "click" feeling that I got with the other agent, and the conversation was definitely more curt and business-like.

My gut is to go with Agent #1, but my gut's been wrong before, and I know that I'm not supposed to look for a new best friend in an agent but rather, someone who can sell my book...any advice, AWers? It would be much, much appreciated.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think you have to take friendship out of it and ask yourself who can best represent your writing.

Right now in what you wrote it seems Agent #2 is the one who has more to offer, especially if you agree with her edits, but you didn't say if she understands your work and your genre. That's a big one, and definitely a plus (and the only plus I see) with the clicking agent. What did she say on that score? I think also it depends on what agency Agent #1 is with, is she a new agent a good agency with a great track record?

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
She definitely wasn't as enthusiastic about my work as Agent #1, but she said she really liked it and is the type of agent who would work with me through my career. After researching her other clients, it doesn't seem like she has many in YA Fantasy, but she does rep YA for sure...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would go with #2. Sounds like #2 has the experience you need and is more business-like. Becoming close friends with #1 down the road may only hamper your business relationship; you need to remain objective when working with somebody.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
She definitely wasn't as enthusiastic about my work as Agent #1, but she said she really liked it and is the type of agent who would work with me through my career. After researching her other clients, it doesn't seem like she has many in YA Fantasy, but she does rep YA for sure...

What do you mean by enthusiastic?

And is Agent #1 not the kind of agent who would work with you through your career?

I think what is very important is that the agent understands your work and appreciates what you do as an author. I have a friend who's agent loved her first book, but for reasons that didn't actually reflect what my friend was really doing with the work. So that subsequently she has not really liked any of my friend's other work. What you need is an agent who thinks what you do is amazing, and who will like the other things you write as well. They don't have to be jumping up and down and demonstrating their love in a big way, but they need to get what you're doing. Because an agent is for more than one book.

So which agent do you feel really understands your style of writing and where you want to go in your career?

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Agent #1 is also a career agent. When I spoke to her over the phone, I did get the sense that she thought my work was amazing and she was already very passionate about it. I told her about my future projects and she was very enthusiastic about them too -- when I say enthusiastic, I mean positive, passionate, and supportive.

Agent #2 said she really liked my work, and our conversation was more about what needed to be fixed in the book rather than what was awesome. Which is fine, since like I said -- I agreed with most of her suggestions.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
This is really a go with your gut type of thing, but an informed gut, based on conversations you've had with the agents.

A lot of people like to have friendly agents, and they'll go with them just because those agents seem more enthusiastic. And enthusiasm is important because it will also translate to the editors in their attempts to sell the book, so that's something to consider. As someone who doesn't gush very easily, I can also see how someone could come across as less enthusiastic when they're more business-like (and more experience might make them less likely to gush about every book they want as well), but actually is just as excited about the book and their ability to sell it.

Another important thing to consider about Agent#1: you say she's new and hasn't sold in your genre. Is she part of an established agency that has? That's a very different story from someone starting their new agency with no experienced mentor to help them with editor contacts. Are the raving clients ones she's actually sold for, or are they new and really excited about her friendliness, lack of edits on their work, and books that just went out on submission?

For Agent #2, when you say she's not as enthusiastic about your work, what are your clues there? Just her matter-of-factness? Desire to change some aspects? Does she express interest in your other/future novels (does Agent #1)? Have you talked to her clients? Maybe she's just always this way for all her clients. Maybe even if she is, you don't want to deal with that. Maybe her clients say she relaxes once you've established a relationship.

You say you agree with Agent #2's revision notes. Would you use them even if you went with Agent #1? Are they specific so that when you say you agree with them, you know what she's talking about (more important than you'd think)?

As an aside, I have seen newer agents (in excellent established agencies) put their authors' books out there too early, without revisions, and then regret it later when the book is rejected for the same problems, problems the author even knew about. If you really agree with Agent #2's revision notes, discuss potential changes with Agent #1 and see what she thinks.

If you have any questions for either of them, ask. They'll understand. This is a long-term decision so get all the info you can.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Loving everything Sage has said, and really want to know if Agent 1 is with a good agency with a decent track record.

ETA: I'm not Sage, but yes I think that's perfectly reasonable. Especially if you frame it as, "I really like these ideas, what do you think?"

Whimsigirl

wishin' and hopin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Loving everything Sage has said, and really want to know if Agent 1 is with a good agency with a decent track record.

ETA: I'm not Sage, but yes I think that's perfectly reasonable. Especially if you frame it as, "I really like these ideas, what do you think?"

Agent 1 used to work for one of the top agencies but left to start her own.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Ah. Hmm. That is definitely a big factor. Is she working with other agents or is this a solo operation? And how long has she been in business for?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

The one who's most enthusiastic is usually the better bet. I've done what I thought was the "right thing" that didn't get my gut's agreement...and lived to regret it.

However, if you're more enthusiastic about Agent #2, that's the one you should go with.

Oh, and mega congrats!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Although my agent is enthusiastic about my work, we're definitely not best pals, and that's okay. We're not even friends on Facebook. She's very focused and business minded, but my editors love working with her.

whirlaway

Registered
Reaction score
Eliza,

You said Agent #2 runs a solo shop and has been in the business for over 30 years. Have you asked her when she plans to retire?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eliza,

You said Agent #2 runs a solo shop and has been in the business for over 30 years. Have you asked her when she plans to retire?

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'd want to know this too. I'd want to know what both of them have in mind for their clients in the event of their death or incapacitation.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Eliza, first off, congratulations on the two offers!! I can totally relate to you. :) When I queried my first book, I ended up with multiple offers and finally culled it down to two agents.

#1 was like what you described. Two agents at the agency met with me and they were both SO friendly and enthusiastic and I immediately loved them. I could see us having dumplings together and generally being awesome buddies! But their YA list isn't as impressive as agent #2's.

#2 is more businesslike and her agency has a great track record in YA. However, when we spoke on the phone, I didn't feel that sense of "click".

I decided to go with my #1. And I don't know if it was a mistake, but suffice to say, I am now with a different agency. The agents I went with for my first book couldn't sell it, though it wasn't for lack of trying. They were very enthusiastic about it to the end, but when we decided to move on to other books, they weren't nearly as passionate with my other books. It took them a month to come back with revisions for my first book, but with my subsequent books, it took longer and longer and I drove myself crazy waiting for their replies, and finally they told me they weren't in love with my latest book and so we parted ways amicably. We're still friendly on Twitter and I still love them both, but more as friends than agents. :)

So I think that's an important factor to consider as well. Enthusiasm is awesome, but it does wax and wane depending on the books you come up with. Have you discussed any other projects you have in the works with both agents?

Lastly, I would also look at the number of sales the agents have made in your age category and genre. The agents I went with only had a couple of YA sales. They have a wonderful track record selling adult fiction, but I think they didn't have many good contacts in YA, so we ended up waiting a heck of a long time to hear back from editors.

I don't know which agent you should go with, but hopefully this might help with your decision! Best of luck!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I assume you've checked them both out, and know that they've both made good sales to excellent publishers, and that neither one of them has any hint of being a scammy agent who takes money from their clients or only sells to vanity publishers. Yes, I know it's obvious but many writers don't make these checks, and end up in a bad place.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's all about what you want, need, and can live with. I don't want an agent who tells me a novel needs a lot of work. If an editor tells me this, fine, I'll probably believe it, but not an agent.

I want an agent who passes my work along to an editor, who can then tell me anything he likes. Agents are not writers. Even if an agent can recognize a good book, this does not mean an agent knows what does and doesn't need changed. Even teh best agents out there are wrong about books just about as often as they're right.

Editors may be wrong, too, but an editor can write me a check, AND he gets fired for getting things wrong, and an agent can't, and an agent doesn't, so I trust editors a lot more than agents. Different jobs, different skills.

The way an agent helps build my career is by sending a manuscript to teh right editor. This is the knowledge I want from her. When I'm looking for a new publisher for something different, I want her to know who need what I've written right now.

I also want her to negotiate my contracts so I get the best possible deal.

I do not want her telling me what needs change din a manuscript. Not her job, not her skill set.

She can always say she won't handle it, and that's fine. She can't say change this or change that. This is not fine.

But that's just me. Sales are important, but if agent number one is young, and already has some sale sin your genre, you might make a long career out of having her as your agent.

Agent number two may not be around long enough to be of much help.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the offers! Others have raised good questions. In contrast to James's post above, I do feel that agents can have good revision suggestions. They're immersed in the market and in touch with editors. So I'm going to focus on Agent #2's suggested revisions, which you've said you mostly agree with.

Do you feel that Agent #2's suggestions add value to the book, make it stronger and more marketable? More so perhaps than Agent #1's?

I'd take personality out of the equation. What it would come down to for me is who I think could best represent my book and help me sell it.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Congrats on the offers! Others have raised good questions. In contrast to James's post above, I do feel that agents can have good revision suggestions. They're immersed in the market and in touch with editors.

I agree with this, if only because my agent had fabulous revision suggestions. :) I should also note that she did not push them on me - she asked before she gave me any feedback at all.

It's all in what you're looking for. James knows what works for him. Revising with my agent works really well for me; but then, I tend to find outside insights into my writing fascinating, and useful in terms of developing my skills.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I will add onto all this by saying I find it fascinating that James, the pragmatic businessman, has allowed his dislike of editorial agents to cloud a business decision. He automatically assumes that the younger agent who has no interest in editing your work is better though you yourself said she had limited sales, and that your primary connection to her is an emotional gut one. Whereas the older agent has solid sales an impressive client list and is being far more pragmatic about how commercial your future work is. I am rather shocked that James prefers the younger untested unproven agent over the veteran but there you go, that's how much he distrusts editorial help.

You already know my opinion and I am curious to hear what further conversations with the agents yield. Remember that first and foremost you need someone who complements your goals, who wants the same things you do and who appreciates your work and what you bring that is unique to the table. Don't let Agent #1 convince you through feel good feelings and don't let Agent #2 bully you. Be pragmatic.

You can do this! :)