PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings switches this weekend

T Robinson
03-07-2015, 04:43 AM
Didn't see anything on this, so here it is.

Most of us in the US lose an hour of sleep this weekend.

I hate it. I wish they would set one and leave it alone.

Opinions anyone?

Jamesaritchie
03-07-2015, 07:47 PM
I like daylight savings time. My state didn't have it for decades, and it was a complete pain in the rear during winter months. We also lost three billion dollars per year because businesses here opened an hour later than ones in neighboring states.

You get that hour back in the fall, and you'll be able to see better when you get up early in the winter, and you'll have an extra hour of daylight after work in the summer. For me, this is more than worth the one night o flosing sleep.

cmhbob
03-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Old joke:

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."

Change the batteries in your smoke and CO detectors, and test them. Even if they're hard-wired into house AC, they have batteries.

Tirjasdyn
03-07-2015, 08:58 PM
It's bull. I hate it.

Synonym
03-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Absolutely ruins my life for about 5 days. Then I get over it.

Did anyone else hear the news blurb that there are increased heart attack risks during this disruption in our sleep cycle?

Diana Hignutt
03-07-2015, 10:10 PM
I hate it intensely for about a week, then I really like it.

William Haskins
03-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Opinions anyone?

an international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Chasing the Horizon
03-07-2015, 10:14 PM
I've never understood the time changes. What idiot decided we should make the already-short winter days an hour shorter and the already-long summer days an hour longer? It's ass-backward.

Mr Flibble
03-07-2015, 10:15 PM
NUh uh -- I got till the 28th before I lose any sleep

:tongue

Kylabelle
03-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Well, just remember, it's Spring Back, Fall Forward.

:D

T Robinson
03-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Well, just remember, it's Spring Back, Fall Forward.

:D

The first few days of either season is just me falling in disorientation.

Kylabelle
03-07-2015, 11:06 PM
This is from November 2013 (http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/11/daylight-saving-time-americas-greatest-shame/354753/), so not current to the immediate anguish, but it still has some pithy things to say about the whole setup.

Why we try and "maximize daylight" like we're plants is actually an archaic practice first thought up in the late 1700s and often attributed to Benjamin Franklin. As some elementary school teacher may have explained to you, this was a practice to accommodate agricultural workers and farmers (wrong, and we'll get to this in a minute) or lower the nation's electricity usage.

A lot of that is prime b.s. There is actually no benefit or rhyme or reason we have to endure this weekend's time shift and no reason we should even be playing with the idea of losing and gaining hours. Here's why:

Scribesage
03-07-2015, 11:49 PM
People are already confused and we haven't lost any sleep yet! My aunt tried to tell me we went forward an hour last weekend and I almost believed her :tongue

I don't think I've heard anyone ever say they like daylight savings time. I'm waiting for the day I meet someone who says they like losing sleep :e2zzz:

Sage
03-08-2015, 12:04 AM
Just as long as I don't miss my flight tomorrow.

Lavern08
03-08-2015, 12:22 AM
...I hate it. I wish they would set one and leave it alone.

Yeah that ^ :rant:

Celimlodyn
03-08-2015, 12:23 AM
I hate it. If businesses want more light in the evening after work, why don't they change their hours from 8-5 to 7-4? That's what DST does, only it manages to fool everyone into thinking they haven't.

jjdebenedictis
03-08-2015, 12:56 AM
I don't mind doing it, but I also think it's stupid to do. The net effect in spring is we get light for longer in the evenings (which I actually love) and it's (again) pitch dark outside when I get up for work on my early days.

So I get something I like -- the semblance of long summer evenings -- and lose something I had been enjoying -- seeing the evidence Spring is arriving by the light outside when I get up.

MaryMumsy
03-08-2015, 01:31 AM
This is one of the few things Arizona gets right.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/inside-12/2015/03/06/12news-why-arizona-doesnt-follow-dst/24524523/

MM

Calla Lily
03-08-2015, 03:09 AM
an international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Win.

Also, I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate the clock change.

rugcat
03-08-2015, 03:49 AM
I don't think I've heard anyone ever say they like daylight savings time. I'm waiting for the day I meet someone who says they like losing sleep :e2zzz: Actually, I love daylight savings time. I like the extra light at the end of the day when I'm out and about. What I don't like is the switch back to standard time where in the middle of winter, when you need light the most, it's dark at 4:30 PM.

But I would accept either if we would just stop switching. It's kind of interesting though it's something that everyone agrees is stupid, does no one any good, but there seems to be no way to be able to get legislators to change it. Is there some DST lobby we don't know about that's pouring tons of cash into keeping the status quo?

rhymegirl
03-08-2015, 04:24 AM
I like Daylight Savings Time.

So you miss an hour of sleep for one night. So what?

Tomorrow is Sunday so I'll sleep late anyway.

I like the sunshine around 5 to 6 pm so I can go take a walk.

Emermouse
03-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Glad to know I'm not alone in my hatred of Daylight Savings Time. Twice a year I try to convert people to my views, only for them to respond by staring at me blankly. I'm starting to think Daylight Savings Time is one of those things that will always be with us even though it's inefficient and doesn't make any sense, like the Electoral College. Both Daylight Savings Time and the Electoral College were invented by founding fathers and you know what a hard-on this country has for them. I keep wanting to scream, "Yeah, but they also owned slaves so maybe we shouldn't slavishly do everything they did!" Like I've said many times and will probably say many times in the future, the Founding Fathers had some good ideas but they were very much men of their time.

As many sager and wiser would say, "Just because you've always done it, doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid."

Saoirse
03-08-2015, 05:46 AM
Can't friggin stand it. I'm messed up on sleep for a week afterward. :(

Jamesaritchie
03-08-2015, 06:57 AM
I've never understood the time changes. What idiot decided we should make the already-short winter days an hour shorter and the already-long summer days an hour longer? It's ass-backward.

Part of it is that the idiot wanted to make it safer for school kinds. Without daylight saving time, kids have to go to school when it's still dark, and too many get hit by cars, and have other accidents.

Then, in summer, just about everyone wants as many evening daylight hours as possible.

It really does work out very well for both purposes.

Sunflowerrei
03-08-2015, 07:07 AM
Part of it is that the idiot wanted to make it safer for school kinds. Without daylight saving time, kids have to go to school when it's still dark, and too many get hit by cars, and have other accidents.

In the meantime, I went to high school on a shift system, like many high schoolers in New York City did, so when I got out of school at 4:15 pm as a freshman in the fall and winter, it was dark by the time I got home.

I never really felt weird about the changes until this last one in spring; it really messed me up for a few days.

eyeblink
03-08-2015, 12:13 PM
NUh uh -- I got till the 28th before I lose any sleep

:tongue

And the Australians get until 5 April (Easter Sunday) when they will have an extra hour in bed, in the parts of the country which observe Daylight Savings Time.

WriterBN
03-08-2015, 07:55 PM
I have to think that, if aliens were passing by this weekend, they'd see the whole clock change thing, conclude there was no intelligent life on Earth, and move along. That's the biggest benefit of Daylight Saving Time.

Lavern08
03-09-2015, 03:51 AM
Can't friggin stand it. I'm messed up on sleep for a week afterward. :(

It messes me up for at least 2 weeks - At least now that I'm retired, I don't have to go to work all jacked up any more. :sleepy:

Sage
03-09-2015, 04:08 AM
My sleep patterns won't change until Wednesday night/Thursday morning, because I sprung ahead only to fall back with a time zone change today.

It's a lot less confusing than when I visited Central during the time change in November.

Emermouse
03-09-2015, 05:15 AM
I have to think that, if aliens were passing by this weekend, they'd see the whole clock change thing, conclude there was no intelligent life on Earth, and move along. That's the biggest benefit of Daylight Saving Time.

http://www.cooperativeindividualism.org/calvin-on-intelligent-life.jpg

Celimlodyn
03-09-2015, 07:21 AM

I've heard this before, but I don't get it. I must be thinking about it wrong or something.
So last week, before DST started, where I live the sun was rising a little after 6 am and setting a little before 6 pm. Kids get on the bus anytime between 7 and 7:30 usually. Tomorrow, when getting on the bus at 7, it will effectively be 6. The sun will barely be up. How is this safer?

meowzbark
03-09-2015, 08:01 AM
They tried to introduce Daylight Savings Time in Arizona this year:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2015/01/08/arizona-daylight-saving-time-bill/21481633/

It wasn't well received. Who wants an extra hour of sunlight when it's hot as fuck outside?

Laurasaurus
03-09-2015, 04:00 PM
So it doesn't happen in all of America? How on earth does that work?
I'm so confused.

gothicangel
03-09-2015, 04:04 PM
I clicked on this Saturday night and thought 'What! Why didn't someone warn me I would lose an hour tomorrow!' I then realised you mean the US, the clocks don't go back in the UK until the 29th March.

Emermouse
03-10-2015, 07:46 AM
Just thought I'd post John Oliver's "How is this still a thing?" segment on the Daylight Savings Time issue. Because John Oliver is awesome and we must never forget that. Nor must we forget that there's no reason for us to change our clocks twice a year.

http://youtu.be/br0NW9ufUUw?list=FLPt8OMangmKR4BrkNBBS81w

MacAllister
03-10-2015, 08:39 AM
I want my hour back.

BenPanced
03-10-2015, 08:45 AM
I grew up in the part of Indiana that didn't change (before the legislation was introduced). The annoying thing was Good Morning, America came on when I was used to watching Captain Kangaroo since TV schedules were affected.

scifi_boy2002
03-10-2015, 05:19 PM
It reminds me of a moment on the Tonight Show years ago when Johnny Carson had a farmer as guest who refused to go on daylight savings time. Johnny asked him how did he get to things on time and the farmer simply replied that he left an hour early. Theaudience laughed hard and cheered.

Alpha Echo
03-10-2015, 05:30 PM
I like Daylight Savings Time.

So you miss an hour of sleep for one night. So what?

Tomorrow is Sunday so I'll sleep late anyway.

I like the sunshine around 5 to 6 pm so I can go take a walk.

All of this.

I hate mornings. I enjoy sleeping in. I have to get up early for work Monday-Friday, however. It makes no difference to me whether we're on Standard Time or DST because most of the year, it's dark or nearly dark when I leave for work. I'd much rather have the extra sunlight after work. I get off at 330, so it gives me so much time in the summer to enjoy the weather. Plus, I like hot weather.

Do I hate losing an hour? As much as the next person. But I normally sleep in the next day, so who cares? I've never understood those who take an entire week to get used to DST. My husband is the same way, though, whether we're moving the clocks forward or back. It doesn't hurt that he doesn't bother to change the clock in his truck, so he's constantly confusing himself until he gets used to that clock being off an hour.

Old joke:

Exactly what my husband says, only in different words. He's a morning person, so he'd rather it always be lighter in the morning.

MarkEsq
03-10-2015, 05:37 PM
My son had an 8:15am indoor soccer match on Sunday. So, basically 7:15. Which meant getting him up at 6am to feed him in advance. On a Sunday.

I let my wife sleep in and got him ready, drove him there. Then the $&#*ing owner of the facility didn't show up -- he'd forgotten about the time change, and so a dozen boys and their parents were left out in the cold. Literally.

Guess what I think of DST?!

Sage
03-10-2015, 05:40 PM
I don't really love springing ahead (I like the extra hour the first Sunday in NaNo, though), but I did find a good thing about it. I travel a lot for work, and I really hate driving in places I don't know after dark. Last night when I left my hotel room for dinner, though, it was still light out.

BenPanced
03-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Falling back is great when bar time is 2:00.

Lavern08
03-10-2015, 10:14 PM
... I've never understood those who take an entire week to get used to DST.

^ LOL - That would be me!!!

I can't explain it, but it takes me at least 2 weeks to adjust to the time switch/change. :Shrug:

For example, I'm so groggy on that first Sunday morning that I'm not worth 2 cents @ Church :flag:- I forgot the words to a couple of songs and tried to play it off...

...And yesterday was "Date Night" for me and Mr. Hunny - We went out for dinner at 5:30 and by 6:00 I was yawning and fighting to stay awake. :D

Alpha Echo
03-10-2015, 10:18 PM
^ LOL - That would be me!!!

I can't explain it, but it takes me at least 2 weeks to adjust to the time switch/change. :Shrug:

For example, I'm so groggy on that first Sunday morning that I'm not worth 2 cents @ Church :flag:- I forgot the words to a couple of songs and tried to play it off...

...And yesterday was "Date Night" for me and Mr. Hunny - We went out for dinner at 5:30 and by 6:00 I was yawning and fighting to stay awake. :D

Haha! That's okay. I still love you. :)

Maze Runner
03-10-2015, 10:26 PM
They tried to introduce Daylight Savings Time in Arizona this year:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2015/01/08/arizona-daylight-saving-time-bill/21481633/

It wasn't well received. Who wants an extra hour of sunlight when it's hot as fuck outside?

Agreed! And who needs it to go dark in the winter when it's still the fucking afternoon?! Abolish it now!

Beachgirl
03-11-2015, 06:50 AM
We flew from Florida (Eastern Time) to Texas (Central Time) on Saturday, so we gained an hour in flight. Then that night we lost an hour in the time change.

My Office Outlook calendar on my iPhone tells me I have a conference call at 8am tomorrow. But... but... is that 8am Eastern or 8am Central??? Or 7am Central, or...

*sigh* At this point, I really have no idea what time it is.

L M Ashton
03-11-2015, 07:46 AM
In Canada, Saskatchewan doesn't have daylight savings time. So, for half the year, they're on the same time as Manitoba, then for the other half year, they're on the same time as Alberta. I think Saskatchewan's the smarter one there.

I left time zones with daylight savings twelve years ago. I hated it. I'm so glad I no longer have to put up with that nonsense.