Jobs other than writing

clemency

Registered
Reaction score
It's been twelve years since I set out and got myself a job. Most of that time, I was a chef. I've just moved into a new city in a new country and found I physically can't bring myself to apply for another kitchen role. I can't bear the idea of working another 90 hour week for 40 hours pay, never seeing the missus and only getting three hours a week to do my writing (especially now after two solid weeks of unemployment hitting 4000+ words a day).

I have literally no idea what field to look into, and being thousands of miles away from anyone I know or a benefits system I'm eligible for, the clock is ticking. I suspect some of you guys must have been in the same position of wanting to write but needing a job to facilitate it, so I'm wondering if any of you ever managed to find a job that didn't completely crush your soul and suck every drop of creativity from your veins?

My thanks.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
in the same position of wanting to write but needing a job to facilitate it, so I'm wondering if any of you ever managed to find a job that didn't completely crush your soul and suck every drop of creativity from your veins?

My thanks.

Ha, I so hear you. Most of them do just that. The only thing I've found was the business I currently own and run. It's still a juggling act, but at least I can (mostly) decide when I have the energy and can afford to take some time to write or try to navigate the publishing maze. I don't have a boss breathing down my neck, forcing me to work too much for too little. The flip side is I do neglect my business from time to time, as I have been for most of the day today; and of course, that will have a negative effect on what I earn. That would be the only advice I can give you. As long as others are determining when you work and for how much, and how reasonable it is, chances are they won't care about what's best for you nearly as much as you do. Understatement, of course. If you can figure out a way to do your own thing, you might find yourself in the same position. You can cook, I try to cook, but not very well. Is there anything you can do along those lines? I don't know, open a little place of your own that operates only part of the day. Or some kind of a catering thing, I don't know, reaching here. It's a real problem, hope you can figure out a way.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of you ever managed to find a job that didn't completely crush your soul and suck every drop of creativity from your veins?

Any job, or none of them.

There's some people who get "drained" by any job, and some people who can get off from a high-stress long-houred job and write the most they can in their free time before heading off to bed. It all depends on if you're capable of shrugging off the job environment. Granted, I will say that working 90 hours every week is just hard and saps your time, but it doesn't sap your creativity. If you want into a job thinking that, then you will probably not get any writing, or any good writing, done.

You a college graduate? The world is always looking for English teachers. All you need is a 4-year degree, be native speaker, and a passport. It's not hard; you're not teaching high level stuff--mostly simple grammar and pronunciation.

Otherwise, I dunno because I have no idea what you specialize in other than cooking. Learn how to code and become a freelance programmer? I've got a friend who does that. He works 3 hours a day before he goes off to party.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have literally no idea what field to look into, and being thousands of miles away from anyone I know or a benefits system I'm eligible for, the clock is ticking. I suspect some of you guys must have been in the same position of wanting to write but needing a job to facilitate it, so I'm wondering if any of you ever managed to find a job that didn't completely crush your soul and suck every drop of creativity from your veins?

Yes--the job I have now. It did take me six or seven years to get here. Truth, though, there was a lot of flailing and guesswork and "I guess I'll try this/well what do I do now/I can't quit now; I'll feel guilty" along the way eating up the time :)

Granted, I will say that working 90 hours every week is just hard and saps your time, but it doesn't sap your creativity.

Lol dood speak for yourself ;) Job demands can absolutely have an effect on creativity, and everything else related to brain function. I do agree it depends on the person and the job, though.

clemency

Registered
Reaction score
buzhidao, did you know what job you wanted seven years ago and work toward it or did things just fall into place?

I fell into cooking because it was easy to get work and I was single and had nothing to worry about. Now I need spare time to write and the missus and I are at the age we gotta talk about kids. I have very little money and I'm not a citizen in this country so I can't start a business, and folks here already speak English, but I do have a(n arts) degree, for what it's worth.

Obviously office work offers comfortable hours, but I'm worried sitting still staring at a screen all day only to come home and do the same and write would be counterproductive for someone used to being active. But I'd like to hear from anyone with actual experience.

I have a gut feeling this is one of those important times where I could choose well and really get myself together or choose badly and be resurrecting this thread every six months.

Anyway, thanks for your input. Getting writing rejections and job rejections in a country where I don't know anyone is a lot to take by my lonesome.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
buzhidao, did you know what job you wanted seven years ago and work toward it or did things just fall into place?

No, I didn't know. My options were limited because I knew how to do nigh fuck-all. ;) As for things falling into place, well, I had to do something about it eventually. If I'd just kept on doing what I was doing I would have kept bobbling around between the same minimum-wage long-hour jobs looking for slightly better conditions at different locations. So after some years of doing that I got fed up and thought JUST LEARN TO DO SOMETHING ANYTHING GUH and enrolled in a online program so that I could still work...and this degree is related to the work I've been doing, so I have kind of a foundation. And the work I *was* doing resulted in a recommendation to my current workplace, and I don't know if they would have hired me otherwise. So it's all connected, but I did have to push myself somewhere, or I would have stayed in the old field...

Anyway. No, I didn't know what I was doing, and I didn't start working towards a specific career until a couple of years ago when I decided that the only thing worse than Choosing a Thing that was possibly the wrong choice was to just keep floating. I do think I got lucky with my workplace, though, and that's a major factor. So. Everyone's everything is different. :)

I fell into cooking because it was easy to get work and I was single and had nothing to worry about. Now I need spare time to write and the missus and I are at the age we gotta talk about kids. I have very little money and I'm not a citizen in this country so I can't start a business, and folks here already speak English, but I do have a(n arts) degree, for what it's worth.

Obviously office work offers comfortable hours, but I'm worried sitting still staring at a screen all day only to come home and do the same and write would be counterproductive for someone used to being active. But I'd like to hear from anyone with actual experience.

I've never had an office job, but as far as that sort of thing, you never know until you try, IMO. I did manual labor and found it mind-numbing a lot of the time; I had to listen to lectures on my iPod to remain engaged with the world and not let my head fog over. Other people find manual labor clears the mind. So, different strokes, that kind of thing. :D

I have a gut feeling this is one of those important times where I could choose well and really get myself together or choose badly and be resurrecting this thread every six months.

Well, totally, but I don't know that you can tell unless you experience it directly, know what I mean? That was sort of how I found out which jobs were not for me and why, which helped to narrow down what I was looking for.

'Course, it also ate up a lot of time...:p

But my experience is just mine. Experiences run a big fat gamut where work is concerned, I think. :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Are you sure that not being a citizen makes it impossible for you to start a business? A huge number of entrepreneurs are immigrants.

Hmmm...work in a cooking school?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

clemency

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't make it impossible, but I plan on leaving this country as soon as I can afford to!

Got a labouring CV and a (kitchen) sales CV together. Let's see if anyone bites.