• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mirror World Publishing

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A new publisher. Some discussion from the Musa Publishing thread follows:

Mirror World Publishing claims to be republishing some of Musa's titles.

Mirror World has only been open for a year. The brief information it gives about its principals suggests that neither had any publishing experience prior to opening Mirror World. I wish them the best of luck but can't help wincing at this announcement.

Checked out Mirror World's website, and it didn't fill me with confidence. This is from one of the blurbs:

This series of novels will teach you how to adapt, how to survive and how to succeed no matter what faces you and most importantly it will teach you to find the most powerful weapon to you need to defend what you care about; belief in yourself.

Sigh.

Personally, I try to stay away from publishers who won't even proofread their own websites.:Shrug:

Everyone does. But still: jumping from a failed press to an untested press run by people with no publishing experience is not the best way to get your books before their potential readers.

I see nothing this publisher can offer anyone which they couldn't get for themselves through self publishing.

Eltondiva

Effieron Empress
Registered
Reaction score
Subbed on 12/2 Rejection came on Christmas day, with suggestions for an editor and beta readers. Same sub sent to Julie Crisp (formerly TOR uk) not a mention of any such, she loved it but can't place it. This is just a basic time line for anyone thinking of subbing.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
For the reissued Musa books, the first problem I'm seeing is no indication they're reprints (e.g., on the copyright page). (example)

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Anything new about this publisher? I've a friend who submitted to them (and got rejected), so I'm wondering if he may have dodged a potential bullet...

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily dodged a bullet but I wouldn't say they missed out on a great opportunity. There's plenty of similar small presses around - and many that are likely a lot better - plus there are some indications (albeit small) that they could be a vanity or hybrid publisher.

I came across them not long ago so their website is vaguely familiar. One of the first things that jumps out is that their book covers are fairly poor overall. One of them is weird in that the top half of it is actually quite good, but then the bottom half is poor ... but, yeah, most of them are not very good.

They are looking for what they call "escapism fiction". They open to submissions once a year - late in the year. Seeking quite a lot of genres, which can be a flag too:

• Fantasy
    • Science-Fiction
    • Romance
    • LGBTQ themes and diverse stories
    • Adventure
    • Paranormal/Occult
    • Comedy
    • Historical
    • Portal Fiction
    • Speculative Fiction
    • A blend of any two or more of the above
    • Cross-genre, mixed genre, or things that don't fit genre norms

• Note: We don't like to limit ourselves, so if you have something you think would fit with our current list of published works, please send it.

(To be fair, they're also quite clear about things they don't want, which I won't paste here as it's not really relevant - see the submissions page on their website for full details if you're interested.)

Pictures of 4 or 5 staff members on their About Us page but no names (not even first names, which is odd), no bios at all, no publishing credentials, zero details. I clicked the pictures, thinking it might bring up mini-bios, but they're not clickable. It's just a block of text about them, the company, then five photographs with no names (and the first picture could even be an author as it's just a person standing in front of a table of books at an event; actually all the pictures could be of their authors, not their team, it's unclear - but given this is the About Us page I'll assume it is indeed staff members or mostly staff members).

The mention of "partnering with our authors" could be code language indicating they're a vanity/hybrid publisher. (I'm not seeing a lot of other red flags indicating that, though.) "Partnering" is a vague term, but it is concerning. If not an indication of vanity/publishing/hybrid services being offered, it could mean they expect their writers to do a lot of their own marketing, especially as they also say that they "aim to market them together" (with the authors). I'm also not crazy about the term "traditional-style", which they use on more than one page of their site. That could also be language indicating a hybrid model.

This is what they indicate are their terms (with the concerning language and some vague (though they do specify "net") terms (also, there's no indication of things like length of contract):

We are a small, independent, traditional-style publishing house​

For our part, we offer...​

We partner with our authors to make the books we produce the best they can be and aim to market them together for maximum exposure. We're proud to be able to offer our books as both paperbacks and e-books. We offer higher royalties than the industry standard (50% of net profits), author copies at wholesale rate, and worldwide distribution. We respond to all queries we receive within six to eight weeks with a personal response, including suggestions on how to improve your manuscript even if it is not the right fit for us, so there is no need to send a follow-up inquiry. We accept simultaneous submissions and will review previously published works where the rights have reverted to the author.

Their submission policies are clear and their website (despite being vague) is okay in that it's easily navigable and not atrocious-looking, but that's really the best thing I can say about them. The rest isn't great - their book covers are not good, they provide no details on their staff or their staff's publishing credentials, they publish a lot of genres, and they will expect authors to do at least half their marketing even if they're not a vanity/hybrid publisher.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedRajah and Maryn

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily dodged a bullet but I wouldn't say they missed out on a great opportunity. There's plenty of similar small presses around - and many that are likely a lot better - plus there are some indications (albeit small) that they could be a vanity or hybrid publisher.

I came across them not long ago so their website is vaguely familiar. One of the first things that jumps out is that their book covers are fairly poor overall. One of them is weird in that the top half of it is actually quite good, but then the bottom half is poor ... but, yeah, most of them are not very good.

They are looking for what they call "escapism fiction". They open to submissions once a year - late in the year. Seeking quite a lot of genres, which can be a flag too:

(To be fair, they're also quite clear about things they don't want, which I won't paste here as it's not really relevant - see the submissions page on their website for full details if you're interested.)

Pictures of 4 or 5 staff members on their About Us page but no names (not even first names, which is odd), no bios at all, no publishing credentials, zero details. I clicked the pictures, thinking it might bring up mini-bios, but they're not clickable. It's just a block of text about them, the company, then five photographs with no names (and the first picture could even be an author as it's just a person standing in front of a table of books at an event; actually all the pictures could be of their authors, not their team, it's unclear - but given this is the About Us page I'll assume it is indeed staff members or mostly staff members).

The mention of "partnering with our authors" could be code language indicating they're a vanity/hybrid publisher. (I'm not seeing a lot of other red flags indicating that, though.) "Partnering" is a vague term, but it is concerning. If not an indication of vanity/publishing/hybrid services being offered, it could mean they expect their writers to do a lot of their own marketing, especially as they also say that they "aim to market them together" (with the authors). I'm also not crazy about the term "traditional-style", which they use on more than one page of their site. That could also be language indicating a hybrid model.

This is what they indicate are their terms (with the concerning language and some vague (though they do specify "net") terms (also, there's no indication of things like length of contract):

Their submission policies are clear and their website (despite being vague) is okay in that it's easily navigable and not atrocious-looking, but that's really the best thing I can say about them. The rest isn't great - their book covers are not good, they provide no details on their staff or their staff's publishing credentials, they publish a lot of genres, and they will expect authors to do at least half their marketing even if they're not a vanity/hybrid publisher.
I guess I can reply since I have personal experience. They are basically the same as most other small presses: it's a press run by authors who published their own books first, and gradually got more authors. Musa folding helped with that. Like most small presses, they don't really give you much of a leg up if you already know how to self-publish. They are not a hybrid/vanity press. They never ask authors for money and they pay royalties (but no advances). They used to do blog tours for all of their books and cover the costs for this. Not sure if that's even still a thing that people do, so not sure if this is something they still do.

If you just want your book out in the world and self-publishing terrifies you, they're an option. But they're going to be the same as any other small press: they don't have much reach, so your book will only do well if you put in the work on your own. I believe they use Ingram, so bookstores can order your books, so at least they're not the kind of small press that only does Amazon.

Most of the covers are not great. I feel like they used to be better. They used to put an emphasis on having original artwork and not stock images. Not sure what's going on now. Maybe they realized they weren't earning that money back and it's more cost effective to use stock.

They don't have much of a social media presence, at least not on Facebook or Instagram. They post stuff, but not many people are interacting with their posts. I don't have X or TikTok, so wouldn't know about those. They do local events, like craft fairs, but I don't really know how helpful that can be.