Help with Irish-English Dialogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyxie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I have an Irish character whose, uh, Irishness I tried to convey through his speech patterns. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the entire thing is full of anachronisms the like of an "American" inviting someone to his groovy pad for some bitchin' twerking. Anyone willing to save me?

It's a bit long, so I'd rather not post it in its entirety, but the character really only has a speaking role in one chapter, so if I remove everything but dialogue, it's probably not more than a few pages.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Speech patterns are hard to read and better left off the page or included in very small bits. A little brogue, a reference to Irish whiskey, red heads and the besotted English is likely enough.

Jeff

zyxie

Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely agree, which is why I think I may have misspoke. (Mis-written?) What I meant was the particular words and turns of phrases the character uses, not his dialect. The "accent" is only referred to, not, you know, painstakingly (and painfully) portrayed in the dialogue.

ETA: Thanks for the welcome! :)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the Irish I know manage to fit at least one, "fook" per sentence, and don't mind throwing the 'C' word around.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm... there is a lot more to being Irish than that!

OP, there's quite a few actual Irish people on the board. Hopefully one of them will spot this and help you out.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Zyxie, you need 50 posts to share an except of your work on the boards. When you do, use the Share Your Work forums to get feedback.

Alternatively you can post a request for a beta reader in the Beta Readers forum.

If you have any specific research questions, by all means ask them here in the research forum.

I'm going to close this thread. If you have questions, pm me and I'll either reopen it, or suggest you start a new thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.