Regency Era Gentlemen Callers

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question: Does anyone know how often an unmarried gentleman can pay a call on an unmarried lady each week? I

I know he can send flowers after dancing with her at a ball and that he could take her for a drive in his curricle. I also know that he can and did pay calls on many young ladies during the season (chaperoned young ladies, of course). But if it is one particular young lady, could he call on her, say, three times in the same week, for instance?

A small detail but would like to get it right!

Thanks

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
Have you checked the Mirror of Graces? I read it a few years ago (and there should be a free copy out there somewhere seeing how it was printed in 1811 and is thoroughly public domain by now), but I can not recall the entire contents anymore.

If that doesn't work and you cant find another primary source, you might check the Georgette Heyer's regency world. Her books were well researched and you might be able to follow the footnotes back to find a primary source.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I have Regency World and I've looked at Mirror of the Graces and other references from the era. I can find mentions of everything about paying calls except for frequency. I'll keep looking!

Have you checked the Mirror of Graces? I read it a few years ago (and there should be a free copy out there somewhere seeing how it was printed in 1811 and is thoroughly public domain by now), but I can not recall the entire contents anymore.

If that doesn't work and you cant find another primary source, you might check the Georgette Heyer's regency world. Her books were well researched and you might be able to follow the footnotes back to find a primary source.