This is gonna sound SO mean...but I am curious, darnit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I guess this is mostly a question for chicks, but guys feel free to chime in.

Is there some strange code among older women to drag women who aren't quite as old into...um...oldness?

Here's the thing. Lately at work, the post-menopausal gals have started conversations with me about post menopausal stuff. Here are a few tidbits:

Hey! I had a wart-looking thing on my face like that. Just wait. Pretty soon you'll start getting them all over. Don't worry. The doctor can scrape them off.

- GASP! WART? WTF?! I ran to the bathroom to look in the mirror. She was talking about the little mole by my mouth. The mole I have had since I was a little girl. The mole my mom has always told me is a beauty mark!

Good LORD. You can still stand sex? When I got close to menopause I couldn't think about sex.

- Um. Not close to menopause, here, but thanks!

You know, long hair on older women makes you look older. I'd get it cut short if I were you.

- GAA!

You might as well forget about it and stop with the wrinkle cream. It's gonna catch up with you.

- I don't USE wrinkle cream! I use stuff around my eyes, but I'm still getting ZITS for Pete's sake!

You know, I know a good doctor for boob jobs. When you get our age nothin is where it used to be.

- Ok, so I would like the twins to be further north, but they've been that way since I had my second son! And sorry, but OUR AGE!??! She's turning 60!!!!!!!

I'd bet if you started getting into the tanning bed, you'd look twenty years younger.

Waaaaaaaaaaa. How old do these people think I am?!

I swear, there is a conspiracy at work. They are tyring like MAD to get me to cut my hair off short. They think I should be wearing sensible shoes. They are determined that I am grandmother material. They are waiting for me to have that first hot flash. Is this just something that older women do?? I mean, sure. I'm 38. But I'm NOT 60! Not even close!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sounds like jealousy to me, dear.

Blow 'em off. They had their day. Others will have ours.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
It's jealousy Carole. They don't feel good, so they don't want you to. I don't think it has anything to do with age either. Just the way those certain women are. Like young women who call each other catty names. Same thing. Only we expect it from teens. Not from grown women. But face it, women are mean in a whole different covert way than men.

Don't listen to them. They suck.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
How awful. Maybe they're jealous.

But I know what you mean, and I AM (I guess) closer to their age. I was literally rushing to an assignment once (in 90+ weather, I might add) and I was a bit hot. So, I fanned myself. A woman (appeared late 50s) says: "You must be approaching menopause. I got that way when I was going through it too." and then she went on (in a super loud voice) about seeing a great doctor. I gave her a questionable look and stopped her "I've been running. I'm no where near menopause" and then I simply walked away.

Mine was a stranger - but yours are co-workers. What did you say?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What? Rob and I agree? It's the apocalypse!

It's a coded message. Answer: Damn, I wish I looked as good as you.

That backhanded sisterly advice gives me the shivers. Reason number 2 I'm glad I'm a guy.

Reason number 1: Women. Rrowrr.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
The first one who grabbed my ponytail had a laugh going on. I told her to back the **** up off my hair. I really said that, too. She's a funny chick most of the time. She just laughed.

Are you guys serious, though? Jealousy? I'm not nearly as young as a couple of the girls in the office. I don't think they act that way with them.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
The other day I was walking my dog, met an older lady on my route. She also had a beagle so I struck up a conversation. She told me her daughter studied English, had been to America...etc.

"Maybe you two could be friends," she says.
"Yea, maybe"
"But she is soo much younger than you, I don't know."
"Oh, is she in high school?"
"No."
"College?"
"No. She's graduated college, she's been working for ten or fifteen years now."
...grrr..which would make her MY age...

From the land where women remain poreless and bone thin for life, it is TRULY depressing. :cry:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I have no patience for the rude and the pushy. And that is both. Some people just never learn how to be decent. Or just shut up.

Whether or not you're the youngest, I'd put it down to jealousy. They wish they looked half as good as you do when they were 38.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
The first one who grabbed my ponytail had a laugh going on. I told her to back the **** up off my hair. I really said that, too. She's a funny chick most of the time. She just laughed.
My mom tells me to allow everyone one "weird" a day. Maybe that was hers -- just the one thing she does that's out of character. It's a pretty good rule; it's saved me more than one friendship.
Are you guys serious, though? Jealousy? I'm not nearly as young as a couple of the girls in the office. I don't think they act that way with them.
If they're that much younger, they're immune. They'd still be in that stage where they're *never* going to age.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Carole said:

Grabbed your ponytail?? That's out of line. I'd have turned around and punched her in the face. Course, I'm a little aggressive. :D (kidding)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
So it's not just me, tiny terror? I have a very weird thing about people grabbing my hair. It's almost a knee-jerk reaction.

Ugh. I do hate rude people, especially when they are pretending not to be.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:

My God, girl. I've got jockey shorts older than you.

Don't worry, those ladies will be dead soon.
biggrin.gif

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
If they're that much younger, they're immune. They'd still be in that stage where they're *never* going to age.
*sigh* I remember those days. Being the youngest in the family, I've always been thought of like that. Maybe it's just me! Maybe I am hyper sensitive.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Haggis said:
My God, girl. I've got jockey shorts older than you.

Don't worry, those ladies will be dead soon.
biggrin.gif

I don't know which statement was funnier!!!!!!!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
madderblue said:
P.S. I'm the same age as Carole and I wish I looked that good! They are def jealous.
People....LOOK at this chick's profile picture. She's not being truthful!!! :)

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
You know, long hair on older women makes you look older. I'd get it cut short if I were you.

You know, if I hear one more person say that I'm gonna puke. I like my long hair and I'm 38. I'm going to continue to wear it that way until I go completely gray. Then I will get a pixie haircut and pierce my nose.

Long hair rules.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Carole, you're beautiful, and fortunate to have the kind of features that will keep you looking young for a long time. I believe that attitude and demeanor play a big part as well. These women could be jealous, as suggested, or, they could just be stunned by the aging process they are facing themselves. It's a cruel thing and comes out of the blue, slaps you right in the face so to speak. It's really quite overwhelming, and maybe these ladies are just appeasing their own shock and anger and think they appear wise and knowledgable by offering you advice. Could be their last connection with youth. (said with both sarcasm and sympathy.)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
People....LOOK at this chick's profile picture. She's not being truthful!!!
smile.gif

My God. You're both hot. I desire you both. At the same time. But, of course that would be wrong. Sort of.
e2seesaw.gif

By the way, I'm now wearing silk boxers.
biggrin.gif

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I bet Madderblue just got a zillion hits to her profile.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely the green-eyed monster. Don't give it much thought. And at least you're past the age where people are condescending because they think you're 12 years old.

I'd be tempted to retort with major rudeness. "I know a good skin cream for wrinkles." "Really? It doesn't appear to work on you."

cw37066

Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
Hey! I had a wart-looking thing on my face like that. Just wait. Pretty soon you'll start getting them all over. Don't worry. The doctor can scrape them off.
Good LORD. You can still stand sex? When I got close to menopause I couldn't think about sex.
you might as well forget about it and stop with the wrinkle cream. It's gonna catch up with you.
You know, I know a good doctor for boob jobs. When you get our age nothin is where it used to be.
I'd bet if you started getting into the tanning bed, you'd look twenty years younger.

I am sorry...but I am going to be 49 years old in six days, and I would never dream of saying ANY of the above to anyone, let alone the younger girls at work. It sounds like you work with some passive agressive female dogs and I would not waste time conversing with them again if I were you. Seriously, the above things are not only unecessary for your age, they are nasty and mean spirited to say to anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.