Due to or Because of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I know that these are not synonomous, but I don't know when to use which one. Can anyone (reph?) provide examples?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I had to think about this for a few minutes, but here's how I think of it:

"Due to" is based on outside influences. Things beyond control that are "abstract."

Due to the recent hurricanes, we've had to move the conference.
Due to the strike, we won't be able to deliver on time.

"Because of" is reaction to events to the speaker, so "experiential" events.

I won't be attending because of a death in the family.
Because of her second job, she got fired.

:Shrug: At least, that's my best shot. Does it help?

pianoman5

Means well
Registered
Reaction score
There's long been a dispute about the use of "due to", with presciptivists arguing that it should only be used in an adjectival context.

So, "The cancellation of the concert was due to the rain." is OK, because 'due' functions as an adjective modifying 'cancellation'.

But "The concert was cancelled due to the rain." is theoretically wrong, with 'owing to' or 'on account of' being the correct construction.

The use of 'due to' is so common, however, and of such long standing, that it seems to have worn down the objectors and entered the realm of acceptability. 'Owing to' and 'on account of' can come across as being a little stiff.

'Because of' is also an alternative, although because 'because' is a coordinating conjunction, it's generally regarded as bad style to use it at the beginning of a sentence, even though it's not 'illegal'.

Last edited:

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
The choice depends on sentence structure rather than the nature of the cause.

I'm among the objectors pianoman mentioned who are worn down, but I haven't given up.

American Heritage Dictionary:
due to. 1. Attributable to; caused by. 2. Because of. See Usage note below. . . .

Usage:The phrase due to is always acceptable when due functions as a predicate adjective following a linking verb: His hesitancy was due to fear. But objection is often made when due to introduces an adverbial phrase that assigns the reason for, or cause of, the action denoted by a nonlinking verb: He hesitated due to fear. The adverbial construction typified by the second example is termed unacceptable in writing by 84 per cent of the Usage Panel, though it is widely employed informally. Generally accepted alternatives . . . in such examples . . . are because of, on account of, through, and owing to.

Deleted member 42

I'm with Reph.

I loathe Due to, in all instances. I'm irrational about it and I Don't Care.

If you do a search in a recent linguistic corpus, that is a collection of a variety of kinds of recent writing, as I did, (because they pay you for stuff like this), and analyze how due to is actually used, you will discover:

* It's mostly used for "bad" news
* It's mostly used in Official Statements where the individual or company is attempting to avoid responsibility or blame.

Find a better way to say what you need to say.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
This caught my eye. I once worked for a law firm, and one of the bosses pointed out the distinction, and incorrect use. He wasn't as eloquent in explanation of the grammar, however.:)

ATP

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've always found the "because of" construction to be a little weak, and easily avoided in most cases. Example:

Because of the door being open, the room was cold.

Because the door was open, the room was cold.

caw.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but harder to avoid in

He was late getting to the meeting because of an accident on the freeway.

Status
Not open for further replies.