• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Retraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thurmadir

Registered
Reaction score
Error in posting. Apologies.

Last edited:

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
Thurmadir, it might be easier to find a beta if you wait until you have 50 posts on here, then you can submit a short sample of your writing on SYW. A 187,000 word commitment is quite a bit to ask of people when they have no idea of your writing abilities, particularly coming from someone with so few posts. Just a suggestion. Good Luck!!!

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd echo Tinman, and also wonder why 187k is one book? Sounds like two 90ks would be more palatable, and not just to betas. I've done a dozen or so betas at AW, and none clocked in over 102k. On the word count alone I'd hesitate. Maybe you have a tetralogy instead of a trilogy....

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A hundred and eighty-seven thousand words?

You might try the lifetime beta area. It's the one next to Sisyphus rolling the rock uphill. :flamethrower

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
C'mon, peeps. Play nice.

There are other people with long books. Thurmadir, I would suggest offering rough word count parity. Like two of their 90k novels for your one.

Although you never know. There might be someone waiting who has a long novel and is too reticent to post, for fear of ridicule.

Last edited:

Thurmadir

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the 50 post thing. I should have paid closer attention. Until then, I'll ask a mod to close the thread.
Kind regards.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, where everyone gets it wrong sometimes :e2flowers

(except Haggis)

ETA: Am I the only person who can never, ever, ever walk past a thread deletion?

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Thurmadir, PM me, and I'll crit your chapter one if you like.

You don't have to wait for fifty posts to put up a beta ad. I'll be happy to give you some tips on how to cut. All my manuscripts started out around 180k.

I have other beta commitments, so I can't take on another novel right now. But you don't have to retract your ad.

Tinman

Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to wait for fifty posts to put up a beta ad.

Thurmadir, I hope I didn't give the impression you need 50 posts to ask for a beta reader. I feel bad that you did a retraction. You did nothing wrong. It's just hard to find someone who'll beta read 187,000 words, though there may be a few like Cathleen who'll volunteer to read a few chapters. You should leave the thread up; it can't hurt anything.

The 50 posts is for ShareYourWork; although, even there it might be a suggestion more than a rule, I don't know

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.