PDA

View Full Version : Retraction

Thurmadir
02-28-2015, 03:14 AM
Error in posting. Apologies.

Tinman
02-28-2015, 04:28 AM
Thurmadir, it might be easier to find a beta if you wait until you have 50 posts on here, then you can submit a short sample of your writing on SYW. A 187,000 word commitment is quite a bit to ask of people when they have no idea of your writing abilities, particularly coming from someone with so few posts. Just a suggestion. Good Luck!!!

davidjgalloway
02-28-2015, 05:15 AM
I'd echo Tinman, and also wonder why 187k is one book? Sounds like two 90ks would be more palatable, and not just to betas. I've done a dozen or so betas at AW, and none clocked in over 102k. On the word count alone I'd hesitate. Maybe you have a tetralogy instead of a trilogy....

Chase
02-28-2015, 05:43 AM
A hundred and eighty-seven thousand words?

You might try the lifetime beta area. It's the one next to Sisyphus rolling the rock uphill. :flamethrower

CathleenT
02-28-2015, 06:35 AM
C'mon, peeps. Play nice.

There are other people with long books. Thurmadir, I would suggest offering rough word count parity. Like two of their 90k novels for your one.

Although you never know. There might be someone waiting who has a long novel and is too reticent to post, for fear of ridicule.

Thurmadir
02-28-2015, 09:35 AM
Sorry about the 50 post thing. I should have paid closer attention. Until then, I'll ask a mod to close the thread.
Kind regards.

mccardey
02-28-2015, 09:54 AM
Welcome to AW, where everyone gets it wrong sometimes :e2flowers

(except Haggis)

ETA: Am I the only person who can never, ever, ever walk past a thread deletion?

CathleenT
02-28-2015, 06:36 PM
Thurmadir, PM me, and I'll crit your chapter one if you like.

You don't have to wait for fifty posts to put up a beta ad. I'll be happy to give you some tips on how to cut. All my manuscripts started out around 180k.

I have other beta commitments, so I can't take on another novel right now. But you don't have to retract your ad.

Tinman
03-01-2015, 01:34 AM
You don't have to wait for fifty posts to put up a beta ad.

Thurmadir, I hope I didn't give the impression you need 50 posts to ask for a beta reader. I feel bad that you did a retraction. You did nothing wrong. It's just hard to find someone who'll beta read 187,000 words, though there may be a few like Cathleen who'll volunteer to read a few chapters. You should leave the thread up; it can't hurt anything.

The 50 posts is for ShareYourWork; although, even there it might be a suggestion more than a rule, I don't know

Good Luck!!!