PDA

View Full Version : categorizing your poems

Steppe
02-26-2015, 04:50 AM
How do you? By subject or some other method? Do you have all of your published poems is separate folders? Unpublished in another?

I save them by category -

birds
childhood
just nature
love poems
misc
Northwest poems

I have published in a separate folder.

How would you recommend a new poet storing his/her poems?

Hamenaglar
02-26-2015, 05:10 AM
I don't have any published poems. So I just categorize them into something like albums/short collections. After some time (when I realize how bad they are :D) I tend to drop them into imaginary trash folder... :D

Magdalen
02-26-2015, 06:20 AM
How do you? By subject or some other method? Do you have all of your published poems is separate folders? Unpublished in another?

I save them by category -

birds
childhood
just nature
love poems
misc
Northwest poems

I have published in a separate folder.

How would you recommend a new poet storing his/her poems?

Love the question! I've been organizing folders and while I admit I haven't been so thorough as to label them by category/subject, I do sort them in various ways. Obviously, there's little point in sorting them by author. I often view them in date order. But I also have certain topics that have pockets in folders & files. Also, your post leads me to thoughts of how I might gather all the small observances/visions/dreams/etc that comprise a "name-able" aspect of my poetic "contributions" and also reminds me to sort out the prose. So thanks for sharing your methods.!!

Steppe
02-26-2015, 06:24 AM
Thank you Ham. I sometimes puzzle over which folder a poem should go to - just nature or northwest folder, love poem or family folder.

I have the same problem with my photos.

William Haskins
02-26-2015, 06:29 AM
a to z (http://www.poisonpen.net/)

C.bronco
02-26-2015, 06:35 AM
I have ten years of poems on a floppy (but the newer, not floppy) disc which I need to resurrect. My last computer crashed. I am open to leads on how to get them all back.

Steppe
02-26-2015, 06:36 AM
Mag - Thank you. I would think that when one has a lot of poems about visions and dreams or similar subjects moving them to category folders would be a problem. If the dream in my poem is about family, it goes to family folder, about nature, to nature folder and so forth.

Neegh
02-26-2015, 06:41 AM
I have an old locking ballet box--I just push 'em through the slot. When the box is full (10--13 months) I dump them on the floor and stuff 15 or 20 or so, per file folder then file them in my file cabinet. When I need some, I pull out a file, grab a hand-full, and off I go. Random keeps it real.

Steppe
02-26-2015, 06:42 AM
C.Bronco - Have you tried posting this to the Tech forum?

William - The older I get, the harder it is to remember all the names of my poems, so A-Z would not help me I'm afraid, although I could see using that method along with category?

William Haskins
02-26-2015, 06:49 AM
the site sorts them; i just paste them in. but even so, i'm woefully behind.

truth is, if poisonpen and absolutewrite ever went up in smoke, i'd have a hard time proving i ever wrote anything.

C.bronco
02-26-2015, 06:49 AM
Thanks Steppe. I will give it a whirl!

C.bronco
02-26-2015, 06:57 AM
the site sorts them; i just paste them in. but even so, i'm woefully behind.

truth is, if poisonpen and absolutewrite ever went up in smoke, i'd have a hard time proving i ever wrote anything.If I hadn't emailed my novels to myself, I would probably be in a mental asylum by now. Print your stuff, Hazkinz!

Neegh
02-26-2015, 06:57 AM
A safety deposit box is a good way to protect your legacy.

William Haskins
02-26-2015, 07:08 AM
are those euphemisms?

Magdalen
02-26-2015, 07:10 AM
A safety deposit box is a good way to protect your legacy.

I thinks Haskins already has a jock strap.

William Haskins
02-26-2015, 07:13 AM
i crafted it from barbed-wire and chunks of the true cross.

Magdalen
02-26-2015, 07:19 AM
i crafted it from barbed-wire and chunks of the true cross.

The loneliness of the long-distance poet looms stark & blank as bars on a track hurdle.

File under "sports poems" for sure!!

Norman D Gutter
02-26-2015, 07:44 AM
A folder with my name, to differentiate my stuff from my wife's
In that a folder "Writing"
In that a folder "Poetry"
In that my poems alphabetically, except those in
A folder "Cinqains", with the title prefixed by a three digit number for the order I wrote them in, and
A folder "haiku", file name is first line prefixed by a number 3 or 4 digits, can't remember) for the otder I wrote them in.
No consideration given to published or not.

I really have some work to do on these. I'm way behind transferring the short poems to digital, and the Poetry folder has a lot of other stuff in it, such as essays, notes, threads dumped to files, etc.

Shadow_Ferret
02-26-2015, 08:01 AM
They go in a folder called "Poetry."

Fruitbat
02-26-2015, 08:06 AM
I categorize my poems, correctly, as "stupid" and "stupider." Once in a while I write one and even get one accepted somewhere (anywhere) and that scares me. I find it strange that I love to write flash fiction so much but just can't do poetry. I mean, isn't a poem the next concisement right after flash fiction? Also, concisement is too a word. Or should be, anyway.

ETA: I also often don't understand poems and want to screech "Just tell me wtf you're talking about, aright?!" I am not sure if it's because we have so much instant entertainment these days that my mind doesn't want to slow down and ponder something deeper and more intricate, or if I'm just missing a few brain cells or what. Oops, a bit of derail there, sorry.

Steppe
02-26-2015, 08:20 AM
I had a problem deciding how to store my photos so I took advice and used people, places and things as main folders. Each main has a bunch of sub folders. I do similar for poems. Every main poem folder has a bunch of sub folders and sub folders with sub sub folders and so on.

Also Windows 7 search on the desktop helps me when I just can't find a poem. I type in the title or something about the poem, then click on "file location", and usually I'll find it in the results.

kuwisdelu
02-26-2015, 08:34 AM
I tend to write books of poems rather than individual poems, so I just have a file for each book of poems.

Right now I only have two files in my poetry folder. :tongue

poetinahat
02-26-2015, 09:00 AM
I haven't written enough for organisation to be a problem.

If they're in this forum, I search; I remember at least a key line in any of them, and that'll do me.

CDSinex
02-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Hard drives are inexpensive now-a-days, so I have one just for my writings. I write a lot of “form” poems, and have separate folders for each type. The haiku, tanka, and cinquain folders have subdirectories for each season. Other “forms” are saved in their specific folders. All folders have a subdirectory entitled “Not Yet Finished.” I save all poems by their first line, not the title. I also have folders for each of the publications to which I submit poems (Some poems may be saved in more than one folder.) They each have subdirectories for accepted, rejected, and not yet sent. I also burn the whole thing to CD monthly for archival purposes. (I obviously have a lot of free time. :D)

Steppe
02-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Thank you CDsinex for that. I'm sure it can help some with ideas.

poetinahat
02-26-2015, 11:15 AM
Actually, I missed a big chance:

Absolute Poets' Collections - thread in Critique. You can post there, listing links to your poems. I keep mine updated. It was a very thoughtful initiative by William, and one I think could be a great resource if more people used it.

Priene
02-26-2015, 01:11 PM
By month and year. When I was younger I had the idea that if I didn't write one a month then I was letting myself down, so I'd always write the month and year next to the title. Over time this meant the poems became fixed in time - I'd stop revising them because they'd been written by an earlier version of myself, so to speak. Changes in style and occasional pauses in writing meant poems written at a certain time tended to sit well together, so every year or two I'd type them all up - I had a big collection of foolscap I pilched from my dad which I used for years - put them in a big folder with a cool title and file it away as some sort of collection.

Not that I write enough for that to work these days, but that's a different matter. And you can't get foolscap anymore.

Kylabelle
02-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Everyone in this thread is far more organized than I. For years I had a stack of folders I carried around with me, in which there were multiple copies of poems I had once shared with a workshop I was a member of. Rather quickly the folders became chaotic because I would flip through and pull out one or several, place them in another folder for whatever use I was making of them (usually to read somewhere, or to copy and share privately or later in an online forum) and there those copies would stay.

I tried a few times to collate those and discard some of the many duplicates but each time gave up the task until last year when I finally got through it. I have slowly been typing these in to my computer, where they go in a single folder, for now, and some of them have also made it over to Google Drive.

As well, I post poems to one of my blogs, so there's another repository. But categorizing is not something my brain knows how to do with any ease at all.

Steppe
02-26-2015, 09:52 PM
For me, dealing with my photos and poems as far as storage goes, presented similar problems. What was the picture about? Sunset? OK put it in the sunset folder.

A thousand sunset pictures. How to categorize them. How about blue tint, red/orange, purple, gold and so forth. Then occasionally I go through and delete the worst or the worst of those looking alike. So hopefully I wind up with only my best and most original.

I do something similar with my poems. I have a special folder for bits and pieces of poems I've given up on but want to save something from them.

I have about 10,000 photos currently . Not much when you consider some photographers have hundreds of thousands. I doubt I'll go beyond the ten thou.

Currently I have about 1,000 finished poems (for now) and a host of garbage in my unfinished folders, with bits and pieces maybe one day being useful.

Each individuals method will be peculiar to him/her self. Whatever works!

CassandraW
02-27-2015, 09:55 AM
They go in a folder called "Poetry."

oh, dear. I'm not even this organized. For years, my poetry has been just for me, and it's mostly scribbled on notebook paper or the backs of envelopes and occasionally napkins or blank pages ripped from books. A few of are printed up; mostly because those were shared with a poetry crit group I belonged to a million years ago. All that stuff is in a box marked "writing", in no order whatsoever. I rarely toss it, but I never thought to organize it.

I'd shared nothing with other humans for years until I came to this forum. The stuff I've written since I took the plunge in here is in a folder on my computer entitled "poetry," except for the stuff I've done in the poetry game and prompt threads, which exists only on AW.

Jamesaritchie
02-27-2015, 08:25 PM
I categorize by form first, and then by basic subject, such as nature, love, humor, etc.

I don't e-mail myself anything. I simply store writing in several place, such as Google Drive, a backup hard drive, and a pair of DVDs.

C.bronco
02-28-2015, 07:32 AM
I have some that go thematically. I have a collection with four chapters, and I need to rescue them from the old technology!

Debbie V
03-03-2015, 04:10 AM
I have a folder named Poetry and Flashes with sub-folders, by title, for any poem that has more than a couple of drafts or submission letters and contracts. I wish there were more of those.

I also have notebooks with dated first drafts. Somehow I still hand-write most poems first.

Steppe
03-03-2015, 04:55 AM
Thank you Debbie. I do a lot of hand written drafts first because I'm in my car a lot traveling. Then bring them home a work on them on pc.

I have no ambition at age 77 of becoming rich and famous any time soon so don't save any written rough drafts. I do save digital, unfinished work, in folders. A good plan for most.

poetinahat
03-04-2015, 06:59 AM
I keep thinking about this, and I realise that I generally like my poems in a heap. I like finding them and rediscovering them by accident.

All my poetry volumes have bookmarks in them, and when a poem strikes me, I take one bookmark and move it there. I don't even shelve them alphabetically; I remember what the books look like.

If I want to get some insight into how a poet's work changed over time, I might organise them by date they were written/published.

In my entry in the Absolute Poets' Collections thread, I list the links by thread or subforum. I might note whether a form was used. But generally, I seem to resist organisation.

That probably reflects my approach to reading poetry: I usually don't go looking for, say, love poems, or poems about war. It's not the topic, but a key phrase that I'll want to recall.

It might just mean that I don't read or write enough of it. And I certainly don't mean that my way is best; it might be crap. But sometimes it helps me to think of entropy as a way to ensure that I'll keep rediscovering old favourites. Otherwise, I might never revisit a poem that didn't hit me years ago, but does now.

Stew21
03-04-2015, 07:38 AM
Rob, I am exactly the same as you. Heaps.