The Alpha Dog.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mom just got a 3 month old, barely house-broken pup. She's a cute little terrier thing.

Problem that I'm having is my 3 year old Chihuahua-terrier gets aggressive with her over toys. We just broke him of that when it came to giving him bones to gnaw on, and now it's like we have to start all over again.

So, I'm sure there's a thousand dog lovers/owners/therians(?) out there who have handled aggressive and/or multiple dogs. I'd just like to reach out for some advice. On how to help him 'share', I mean.

I don't mind being the in-between, I just don't want to screw something up (like emotionally terrorize Badness, my Cheater (Chi-terr)).

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I know that with cats you are supposed to keep the new cat in a room separated from the other cats for a number of days. It lets the existing cats know there is another cat around somewhere (they can smell it) but they don't see it, so it not the same stress level (eg - one that calls for a fight). You do that until they get used to each other, across the safety of the closed door. Maybe there is something like that for dogs? Chihauhas are pretty territorial, right?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Chihauhas are pretty territorial, right?
We like our space and tend to want to protect it, yes. But usually we can work out issues with other dogs. Usually, but not always. Sometimes we can be jerks. Sometimes we can get along with other dogs one day and the next day we go after them. Because...Idunno.

My human daughter has two Chihueys and one Pitt Lab mix. the Chihuahuas are both guys complete with packages and the Pitt/Lab is a neutered lady. The youngest Chihuahua is the alpha and is evil to both dogs. The older Chihuey and his bitch sleep in the same crate. The younger jerk misses out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Chihuahuas, like people can be jerks. Dogs usually work things out. But not always. I have two and they get along fine. Go figure.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, you might want to ask your forum mod to move this over to the Animals and Nature forum. I think you may get better input over there. Best of luck.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Chi-Terrier-Pomeranian. He's the most stubborn and alpha dog I've ever had. Having one of those and a terrier is going to be a handful!

For the toys, if there's a spat, take them away from both of them and fuss at the Chi-Terr (for displeasing YOU). If you take away what he wants, that matters the most to him. He doesn't care what the beta dog thinks, lol.

You can tell the puppy he's good and fine and pet him. But don't let him keep a toy, either. He'll understand. You are the top alpha, so you get to decide who plays with what and when. It's all yours, and they will know that if you enforce the idea.

You could try separate corners, too, with you watching closely. That could work, depending on the individual dogs.

BTW, my Chi-terr is the definite alpha over my big ole Chow-Heeler mix. So they also have balls of steel :D It helps that the Chow-Heeler listens to me above anything else in the world, as chows tend to do with their owner.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know that with cats you are supposed to keep the new cat in a room separated from the other cats for a number of days. It lets the existing cats know there is another cat around somewhere (they can smell it) but they don't see it, so it not the same stress level (eg - one that calls for a fight). You do that until they get used to each other, across the safety of the closed door. Maybe there is something like that for dogs? Chihauhas are pretty territorial, right?

I don't know if that works for dogs? That is how you introduce cats (you can also rub each with a towel and swap towels between rooms), because cats are, for lack of a better word, territorial. They're not hierarchical the way dogs are though, because cats aren't pack animals. There's not an alpha cat in a household, and they don't battle for dominance.

I think people are supposed to be the pack leader, so maybe if you hold the toys and give in order? I dunno, guessing.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, you might want to ask your forum mod to move this over to the Animals and Nature forum. I think you may get better input over there. Best of luck.
Ohhh. See, I didn't know that place existed. I'll get right on that, thank you Haggis. :)

When you say aggressive, is he actually hurting her or just warning her off?
I think warning her off. He snaps at her and then immediately gets back to hoarding the toy(s). He also does that when he gets in my lap, as if I don't have two hands and an equal number of legs. *sigh*

I've found that handling the toy while they both take a tug at it stops him from snapping at her. I guess because he thinks he's playing with me. But the moment I let go, he goes back to snapping at her. I'm guessing it takes time and a number of tries before he gets the picture?

Kos the pup is me mum's dog, see, and I want this to work out. I've got a few months before she's like "WELL THIS ISN'T WORKING! SOMEONE NEEDS TO GO!" since I like both of these dogs.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
thread moved to animals and nature at the op's request.

carry on!

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
. You are the top alpha, so you get to decide who plays with what and when. It's all yours, and they will know that if you enforce the idea.

This x 1000.

The appropriate response to the issue can be summed up with the classic parental phrase "I don't care who started it, I'm ending it."

If the older dog can't play nice, then he can't play. Step one is taking away the toy whenever he gets like this.

How you take a toy is just as important as the act of removal. Don't just pull it from him and stash it while he acts like a nut, lunging to try and get it back. Remove the toy from his possession by whatever means necessary, but then set it on the ground and place yourself between the dog and the toy. Defend your "prize" like a goalie, using your body as a barrier each time he tries to get around you. If he gets past you and snatches it, take it back, put it on the ground again, and defend it again. Do this as long as it takes for the him to give up trying to regain possession of the toy. Don't be fooled if he stops to catch his breath. He may just be regrouping for another charge. You'll know you've won when his attention wanders and he starts looking around at other things, overtly ignoring the toy (You'll want to put the pup in a different room during this process).

The battle isn't about the toy itself, it's about making sure he knows that everything in that house is yours to bestow and take away as you see fit.

After that, just make sure that when he behaves badly, he get the opposite result of what he's trying to achieve. If he acts territorial about your lap, then off the lap he goes. If he growls over a toy, then you take the toy away. He'll eventually figure out that his methods aren't working and adjust his behavior accordingly.

One final thought. Is there some kind of toy that he doesn't usually have? One way to encourage new behavior is to introduce new stimuli. If all he has is squeaky toys, try taking them away and substituting rawhides or balls. If his toys are all plush, try replacing them with smooth items. He may be less possessive of an unfamiliar toy. That way he can have a fresh start and learn to play with the new toy and the new puppy at the same time.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
He snaps at her when he's on your lap because you are a resource and he is protecting it.

Are you above him in the pack? And I don't mean that as insult. Most problems with dogs are because they see themselves as above the two legs in the house.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you above him in the pack? And I don't mean that as insult.
None taken.

As regards hierarchy and the dogs, yes, I'm above him in the pack, and he very well knows that.

Tazlima said:
If the older dog can't play nice, then he can't play. Step one is taking away the toy whenever he gets like this.

How you take a toy is just as important as the act of removal. Don't just pull it from him and stash it while he acts like a nut, lunging to try and get it back. Remove the toy from his possession by whatever means necessary, but then set it on the ground and place yourself between the dog and the toy. Defend your "prize" like a goalie, using your body as a barrier each time he tries to get around you. If he gets past you and snatches it, take it back, put it on the ground again, and defend it again. Do this as long as it takes for the him to give up trying to regain possession of the toy. Don't be fooled if he stops to catch his breath. He may just be regrouping for another charge. You'll know you've won when his attention wanders and he starts looking around at other things, overtly ignoring the toy (You'll want to put the pup in a different room during this process).

The battle isn't about the toy itself, it's about making sure he knows that everything in that house is yours to bestow and take away as you see fit.

That's something I havn't tried. Right now I've simply put the toy away, and neither one has had it (until I feel like getting it out again).

The one thing that concerns me is that he'll snatch it, and after giving his 'warning' he'll run into his kennel with it. And once he gets in there, when I try to take it, he starts snarling and snapping at me. Now, I don't know if he'll actually bite me (I've been pushing his head back with one of my slippers while I take the toy with my other hand).

I guess that's something that can't be answered... because I mean, who can tell me if my dog'll bite me, right?

Or should I just take the thing all like "BITE ME AND YOU'LL END UP IN THE SLOW COOKER!"
awkward____emoticon_by_anotherwastedname-d3d7e0z.png

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm.... then he might well bite you, yes. In his head, you are invading a space that has always been his. So his instinct not to bite the pack leader and his instinct to protect his space are going to be fighting each other.

This could need some quite delicate handling.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then maybe it's best to leave him with it when he's in his kennel and wait for him to abandon the toy before going in to get it?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
That or plan your training session in advance. That way you can prepare the space as needed (close the kennel so he can't retreat there, remove the pup from the area, etc).

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That or plan your training session in advance. That way you can prepare the space as needed (close the kennel so he can't retreat there, remove the pup from the area, etc).
Alright.

Thank you!~
flashy-hearts-blinking-image.gif
:D

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
If he snarls at you when you try to take a toy, you aren't the alpha (hopefully just over 'his' kennel, anyway). You have to let him know that it's your kennel, not his. Definitely close it if you think he'll run in there with the toy, yep.

I'd also start with some basic re-enforcement techniques that you are alpha. I don't know the most recommended ones, but things like making him sit before he gets his food, wait for your permission before he sits on your lap, etc. Pretend he's at military school for a while :D It'll be good for him, so don't feel like it's mean. You shouldn't yell or act angry or anything. Just be stern and/or matter-of-fact (like about the lap) and stick to your guns.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree about the kennel. Some dogs, especially nervous or highly-strung dogs, need a safe space they can go to when they feel threatened or scared or just overly-stimulated. Invading that space can make problems worse rather than better.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll close it when I've set aside time to train him over his behaviour. But as for whose kennel it is, you know, I've trained him since he was six weeks old that his kennel is his safe place. I don't want to change my tune 3 years later. I think that'd confuse him badly.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I just mean that he should come out if you want him to :)

Certainly let him use it in general if it's his cozy spot! But he shouldn't get to run away to there to avoid correction. Sneaky little guy :D

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Pro dog trainer here (with thousands of dogs worth of experience). This isn't typically an 'aggression' issue, nor is it an alpha issue. Most people mistake betas for alphas, believing that aggression means an alpha, but this is not the case, quite the reverse. Alphas know their place in the world and never have to enforce that.

More often it's that the older dog is trying to tell the puppy, "Bugger off and leave my shit alone!" but lacking words to say that, growls and carries on instead. And then the older dog catches hell and doesn't understand what it did wrong, and may get even worse because now the brat gets to harrass the older dog with total impunity.

Many adult dogs don't tolerate puppies at all (a few will even kill the puppy first chance they get); this is not unusual and you can't train them out of it. But you can make them less likely to react, and more likely to develop tolerance:

The solution is to make the puppy back off. Make it understand that it doesn't get to share everything, and not everyone wants to play with it. Not all toys are the puppy's to take whenever it wants. Don't force the older dog to accept an invasion of its existing space and possessions. Would you like it if someone thrust a roommate on you, who then took your stuff and pawed your face, and you have to grin and bear it? Of course not. A lot of dogs don't either.

Furthermore, not all dogs are social with other dogs. Many would prefer all other dogs just die, or at least leave them the hell alone.

Same applies when a strange dog wants to 'play' in public and does so by jumping on or getting into the other dog's face .... who is then very likely to growl and snap: "Hey punk, knock it off!" Would you like it if some stranger shoved you on the street? But which dog gets corrected?? ......Yeah.

Incidentally, an alpha dog may graciously share its toys, bed, etc. but when it wants them back, doesn't have to do anything more than stare off to one side, and the underling goes "Yes sir!" and departs without argument. Betas are the ones who fight among themselves, try to force and bully (like a human who is always trying to prove something), pick on the nobodies, and are much more likely to buck the human as well. But a beta will never sass an alpha. Alphas do not fight with other alphas, either. Alphas are generally tolerant of puppies, while betas are often not. -- And these social ranks are inherited, not made. I've mostly bred the beta traits out of my bloodline, because they are too much trouble.