What are non literal interpretations you can use in reading religious texts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToDieUnsung

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
One thing I was wondering was when you are interested in reading a religious text, what could be possible non literal ways to interpret a text other than metaphorically?

I often feel that, at least in America in modern times - and since I do not have experience in other nations I am very much interested in knowing if this is the case in any other nations around the world - that the phenomenon of literal interpretations of religious texts is one of the most problematic things to happen in terms of damaging the appeal of religion of any kind. To my knowledge, biblical literalism became a major phenomenon in the 18th century as the scientific revolution of that time was under way and due to multiple factors basically caught on like wildfire in the United States.

Today, biblical literalism and literal reading of other religious texts seems, to me at least, to be one of the most alienating aspects of religion in modern times, especially to younger generations of believers; surveys done since 2010 show a higher percentage of our youth doubting the existence of God than they have in decades. I have heard it said that the best way to turn someone off of Judaism or Christianity is to have them read the Torah or the Bible cover to cover while interpreting each story in a literal fashion. And it seems possible that this is the case for the Bagavad Gita, Book of Buddha and other religious texts.

So for those who believe in a certain religion or for atheists or agnostics, what could be more productive ways to read and interpret these texts other than metaphorically? I feel that, for example, with the Bible this has become a fundamental challenge ever since we discovered that the earth is millions of years old and that millions of life forms existed before humans did. I am aware of reading the texts of the Bible and viewing them as metaphors and imagery.

However, the challenge seems to deciphering which sections of the Bible and other religious texts were originally designed to be metaphors and images, which were designed to be relevant only to those who wrote the actual texts and which should be considered a sort of moral instruction manual for modern times. This seems like a relevant question for all students of comparative religion [regardless of their own religious background or lack thereof], particularly when they want to write about religion in their own works and for modern day believers trying to make light of the Bible in a post Enlightenment climate.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Even though it may look like you are asking a straightforward question, you are not actually. However, I will give what I think: literal or metaphorical, go ahead and choose one, because there is no other way. And, this is just me but it seems better in the long run to try and cut through the dogma as much as possible and try to get down the fundamental philosophy underneath.

ToDieUnsung

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Even though it may look like you are asking a straightforward question, you are not actually. However, I will give what I think: literal or metaphorical, go ahead and choose one, because there is no other way. And, this is just me but it seems better in the long run to try and cut through the dogma as much as possible and try to get down the fundamental philosophy underneath.
This is true, it is not straightforwards. I just figured discussions of techniques for deciphering how certain texts should be interpreted, and which ones are best interpreted in a strictly non literal way, is helpful for everyone. It helps followers of certain religions, especially their clergies, ministers, priests and other figures, understand why Americans seem to be leaving religious affiliation, and sometimes religion altogether, in record numbers. It helps students of comparative religion understand and better appreciate the beauty that religious philosophy offers regardless of whether or not you yourself believe in it. And it can help believers and atheists find more common ground, which can ultimately improve friendships between them in my view. I feel it cannot be stressed enough how devastating the biblical literalism movement has been for everyone.

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
I think people telling other people how to think about God IS the problem. You don't need to interpret God; you couldn't if you tried anyhow. Listen, and understand. See and comprehend. The kingdom of God is laid out before us, but we do not see it. Why don’t we see it? Answer that for yourself and you won't need interpretations.

Last edited:

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
One basic non-literal reading method is to treat stories as stories and learn from them as one would any other stories. In this form, a religious story is meant to reveal something about human life and thought, to hold up a mirror to the reader's mind to gain insight and guidance therefrom.

Another important thing is to read in context. Any document of any kind will have been written in a given time and place. Learning about the times and places in which holy works were created can make clear what circumstances they were written to address. Such reading also makes clear the cultural attitudes that can underly principles and stories expounded.

A third component is to read commentaries that have grown up around the work, to see how people have adapted the work to different times, places, and contexts.

Side note: There is no Book of the Buddha. There are a number of sutras written at different times for different Buddhist traditions.

Last edited:

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
A third component is to read commentaries that have grown up around the work, to see how people have adapted the work to different times, places, and contexts.

I think commentaries from different periods are possibly the best guide. Plus some sacred texts include instructions on how to do interpretation. The Book of Daniel is famous for explaining how to do a certain type of interpretation. Of course, at the moment I can't remember if Daniel is in any canon or not. Navajo myths include numerous passages where the Holy People explain how to understand what is happening in the myth, which is itself a series of instructions in understanding the rituals that go with particular ceremonies. In the MesoAmerican traditions all kinds of commentaries (related as dreams or even images of scenes) relate to such things as whether Quetzalquatle was seduced by his sister or not.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I think commentaries from different periods are possibly the best guide. Plus some sacred texts include instructions on how to do interpretation. The Book of Daniel is famous for explaining how to do a certain type of interpretation. Of course, at the moment I can't remember if Daniel is in any canon or not. Navajo myths include numerous passages where the Holy People explain how to understand what is happening in the myth, which is itself a series of instructions in understanding the rituals that go with particular ceremonies. In the MesoAmerican traditions all kinds of commentaries (related as dreams or even images of scenes) relate to such things as whether Quetzalquatle was seduced by his sister or not.

Most of Daniel is canon. Two parts (the stories of Bel and The Dragon) are apocryphal.

ToDieUnsung

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Another important thing is to read in context. Any document of any kind will have been written in a given time and place. Learning about the times and places in which holy works were created can make clear what circumstances they were written to address. Such reading also makes clear the cultural attitudes that can underly principles and stories expounded.

I think this can be very helpful but I think there should be ways to ensure that everyone understands the proper context. These days, when you talk about stories in religious writing being taken out of context, to many readers it feels like BS religious apologetics rather than a serious attempt to discuss and analyze these texts. I think you are correct here but that even with addressing context it seems like it needs to be done in a specific way so that we don't simply sound like apologists for religion when we mention context. I think that many Jews, Christians and Muslims, if they are being honest with themselves, will admit that explaining the need to place stories about God ordaining the slaying of those who don't believe in proper context is much easier said than done.

Last edited:

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I think this can be very helpful but I think there should be ways to ensure that everyone understands the proper context. These days, when you talk about stories in religious writing being taken out of context, to many readers it feels like BS religious apologetics rather than a serious attempt to discuss and analyze these texts. I think you are correct here but that even with addressing context it seems like it needs to be done in a specific way so that we don't simply sound like apologists for religion when we mention context. I think that many Jews, Christians and Muslims, if they are being honest with themselves, will admit that explaining the need to place stories about God ordaining the slaying of those who don't believe in proper context is much easier said than done.

Why not start with a less dramatic example? For example, what does it mean when Enoch is sent as a messenger from God to the fallen Angels? in the Manichean version anyway:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/divinity/rt/otp/abstracts/bgiants/

And a Thought experiment:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/divinity/rt/otp/abstracts/apocalypseofdaniel/

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Hmmm...I'm humming because I can sense as I read scriptural passages what the original intent was, but that's not always so easy to explain. Not metaphor and not literal, but a guide to consciousness.

My hit about most of the major religions (and probably some of the local ones, although I'm not conversant with those) is that they start with a breakthrough in consciousness. The person with the breakthrough creates a map for others. Then confused people deify that person and worship the map, taking it literally or metaphorically, without taking it as a guide to the inner working of the psyche when said psyche is in a divine state.

But that's the way to do it: open the mind to use it for its intended purpose.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

ToDieUnsung

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Why not start with a less dramatic example? For example, what does it mean when Enoch is sent as a messenger from God to the fallen Angels? in the Manichean version anyway:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/divinity/rt/otp/abstracts/bgiants/

And a Thought experiment:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/divinity/rt/otp/abstracts/apocalypseofdaniel/
I see your point, but it is the more dramatic examples that believers and their churches are struggling with in modern times and it is these more dramatic examples that cause the most tension between different types of believers and those who don't believe, particularly when they are all studying comparative religion.

I think the example you posted is an outstanding start but eventually it should be used to work our way up to the more drastic stories, particularly in the OT where critical readers, at least to me personally it seems, often get the impression of God being a violent sociopath.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Hmmm...I'm humming because I can sense as I read scriptural passages what the original intent was, but that's not always so easy to explain. Not metaphor and not literal, but a guide to consciousness.

My hit about most of the major religions (and probably some of the local ones, although I'm not conversant with those) is that they start with a breakthrough in consciousness. The person with the breakthrough creates a map for others. Then confused people deify that person and worship the map, taking it literally or metaphorically, without taking it as a guide to the inner working of the psyche when said psyche is in a divine state.

But that's the way to do it: open the mind to use it for its intended purpose.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri, I'm a little worried about projection when I read a claim of discerning original intent in any work holy or otherwise. The ability to get diverse understandings out of a single text is often a sign of the depth of meaning available in it.

So I would ask if you think you are obtaining personally valuable insight and naming it original intent?

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I see your point, but it is the more dramatic examples that believers and their churches are struggling with in modern times and it is these more dramatic examples that cause the most tension between different types of believers and those who don't believe, particularly when they are all studying comparative religion.

I think the example you posted is an outstanding start but eventually it should be used to work our way up to the more drastic stories, particularly in the OT where critical readers, at least to me personally it seems, often get the impression of God being a violent sociopath.

I see what you're getting at of course, but if one has the leisure to look at a broad range of texts (as apparently they do at Divinity School), there's no reason to get too excited about whatever is going on in the OT. I for one have no real idea and apparently, by the Second Temple and thereafter, it was not all that obvious to many literate people what was going on in the OT since that is the period from which the remaining and very extensive commentaries and expository (Daniel, Isiah, the Qumran literature and all the Apocrypha and NT and NT Apocrypha) textual traditions date.

Status
Not open for further replies.