PDA

View Full Version : When someone's loved one becomes a missing person after a plane crash...

stardustx
02-15-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm writing a short story about a woman whose fiance becomes a missing person after his plane crashes in a mountainous area. She's waiting to hear if he's found by search and rescue. In the end, he is found, and is taken back to her. He's alive, albeit a bit beaten and bruised.

I don't know what the procedures are in this situation. I'm imagining her at a hospital or police station, waiting until search and rescue bring her fiance back. In my head, I picture him stepping out of the police car and meeting her outside. But maybe, even though there's nothing seriously physically wrong with him, he would be brought in an ambulance. Or, since it's a bit of a remote area, perhaps he would be brought back by helicopter. Does anyone know how this would work in real life?

Thank you. :)

Trebor1415
02-16-2015, 04:54 AM
Most likely they'd take him to the hospital. As to whether by ambulance or helicopter, either could be justified, so write what works best for the story.

jclarkdawe
02-16-2015, 05:38 AM
You've got way too many variables to answer your question. For example, how long is he missing for? Was he injured?

Give us some more details.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

stardustx
02-16-2015, 06:03 AM
His plane goes down in the afternoon, and he's found the following morning. He only has very minor injuries (a black eye, a cut on his face, etc).

jclarkdawe
02-16-2015, 06:16 AM
Okay, he would not legally become a missing person. It would be a search and rescue mission.

He'd be slightly dehydrated probably, but in reasonable health. He could sign off on medical treatment with the ambulance crew probably. If he decides or the ambulance crew decide he needs to go to the hospital, he'd be transported by ambulance. If he's transported by ambulance, it's likely he'd have an IV started. Unlikely he'd go by helicopter unless it's in a very remote area and the rescue crew went in by helicopter.

She might be able to see him as he's wheeled from the ambulance into the emergency room.

Most likely she'd be waiting during the search at the headquarters for the search and rescue. This could be a fire station, a ranger station, or other suitable structure located in the area of the search.

As soon as he's released by medical, the FAA would want to talk to him.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

stardustx
02-16-2015, 06:27 AM
Thank you. I really appreciate it. :)
I have finished the rough draft and will probably make a few last edits. Thanks again.

I'm actually writing this for a class assignment in my creative writing class.