shameless brag (pony pic inside!)

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
I decided a while back that I was going to teach my (super well-behaved) horse to rear on command (and on command only). It took a while to perfect the cue (raising the whip above my head and saying "UP!")... But by George, I think he's got it!!!

edit: well, now have two near-identical pics because I love them both XD

tumblr_njsn1iAgjO1ryxjigo2_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_njsn1iAgjO1ryxjigo1_r1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I came to see an awesome pretty pony. This thread delivers. :D

Great job to pony and trainer both!

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Squee! What a smart (and adorable) pony he is! Good work with teaching him this trick. :)

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
Weeeee thank you guys!! His understanding thoroughly enough to do it without a halter and lead rope is a recent development that we had to work on in stages and I'm super proud :D. It's the funnest trick everrrr to show off to friends and stuff. So *majestic*. Horse people are all BLAH BLAH NEVER TEACH THEM TO REAR THEY'LL START DOING IT ALL THE TIME AND IT'LL BE A BAD HABIT THAT'S HARD TO UNTEACH but IME that's not true if you associate it with a clear cue and firmly+consistently correct them if they do it without being asked, so. I went ahead and taught him and he only uses his powers for good and I have zero regrets.
:p

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
And really the cue isn't even so much raising the whip and saying "up"... It's putting him in a spot, holding a finger up and telling him "wait" while I back up a few steps to get out of the way, and THEN asking for the rear. He won't do it if you're just chilling next to him where he could hit you. You can see him sitting back and getting ready while I'm backing up lol, it's super cute. ("Wait" is only for the rear, otherwise I use "stay")

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty pony

atombaby

nice & cynical
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elldimensional.wordpress.com
Beautiful horse, awesome accomplishment! You know your horse best, and the experts aren't going to make the rules for your relationship. Very nice, want more pictures!

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful horse, awesome accomplishment! You know your horse best, and the experts aren't going to make the rules for your relationship. Very nice, want more pictures!

Thank you!! And I am ALWAYS happy to spam pics of my boy, muahaha.

edit: eeeek sorry they're huge :| I pulled them off fb because the laptop with my pics on it is out for repairs.

1901560_10152329155666908_1144291542_n.jpg

1921966_10152329155821908_1533424291_n.jpg

297998_10150359838226908_312444_n.jpg

319103_10150359836396908_516309_n.jpg

(Here we are together :heart: )
554436_10150984926951908_1692806413_n.jpg

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Fun! My sister had a trusty ol' mare that reared up on command, under saddle. Being the kids we were, we had more immature fun than was legal with that horse. (Like riding up close to random strangers on the street, and rearing up. The reactions were to die for.)

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
HAH, that is too funny. I toyed with the idea of teaching him to do it under saddle but couldn't think of a good cue - I don't want to "install any buttons" that anyone could push on accident, you know. A lot of kids/beginners ride him. (I'm happy to share, and occasionally do half-leases and stuff)

Brutal Mustang

Registered
Reaction score
I'm jealous because it looks warm where you are. Here, it's freezing, and the horses are blanketed for the night.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
It was warm that day. Then it jumped to 19 with a wind chill of 9 and it's supposed to snow this week. North Carolina weather can never make up its mind.

I only blanket when I clip (usually my other horse, when he's showing - he gets body clipped because you have to for halter) - their winter coats do a great job on their own as long as they have hay and room to move, and I figure if Canadian horses can be perfectly happy with 3" of snow on their backs (not melting, bc of the winter coat's air pocket/insulating effect) and icicles hanging off their manes, my horses are A-OK here hahaha.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhh thank you atombaby and TAMaxwell! :D I've had him for 13 years this year (he's turning 15) and he is my pride and joy.

Last edited:

Brutal Mustang

Registered
Reaction score
and I figure if Canadian horses can be perfectly happy with 3" of snow on their backs (not melting, bc of the winter coat's air pocket/insulating effect) and icicles hanging off their manes, my horses are A-OK here hahaha.

I blanket because -29 degree windy days can be a wee bit tough on animals.

Edit: Awww. Your other one is a beauty.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my heaven -- that's always how I envisioned the Black Stallion!
Hehe, thank you. :D That book is what made me want a black Arab starting when I was a kid! Buying him was a huge wish fulfillment fantasy thing, lol.

pandaponies

Registered
Reaction score
Very pretty girl! I have a friend with a BLM horse. They're hardy little things!

Brutal Mustang

Registered
Reaction score
She sure is. I've done 80 miles in a weekend barefoot on her (her barefoot, not me).