How to kill oneself using part-benzos

Foolonthehill

Registered
Reaction score
I am wondering, if a character had half a bottle of benzos what else could he / she " easily" have acccess to in ordeer to kill himself? Booze? Ok.... but what else?

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
DELETED because I only get attacked and dragged through the mud for trying to help. Unacceptable. Not blaming OP though I wonder how they're gonna get their answeres if this is how helpers are treated.

Last edited:

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Here in America, what you are saying here is reason enough to intervene by calling the authorities to get you the help you surely need.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
@Paracetamol
Takes days of pain and sickness. Phenobarbital takes hours with not a trace of discomfort, hence it's also used to euthanize pets humanely. Not to be confused with Pentobarbital that has been reported to be pretty painful in some euthanasia patients.

Sweetheart.... are you sure you're ok?

No, just done my homework :)

Here in America, what you are saying here is reason enough to intervene by calling the authorities to get you the help you surely need.

I don't, and I resent your arrogant assumption that I do. This is not a place for those not holding a degree in the field to patronize people in public and question their sanity, but a place where people should be able to safely share their knowledge with those requesting it, without strangers trying to sound witty with the psychology they've studied on Wikipedia.

Sorry OP, but strangers deciding what I need or how I am, prevent me from being able to further help you as this condescending, unsolicited, INAPPROPRIATE "you need help" garbage is not something I am willing to tolerate.

Also, "here in america" does not have to interest me as I do not live where police breaks down your door with guns cocked because you announced to be the sole authority over your own life and body all the way.

Your rash conclusions are insulting. You do not know how many years have passed since (hence I may or may not need help, not to be judged by you, ever), and why I would have done it, for perhaps perfectly logical reasons, like a person suffering from cancer chooses to end the unending pain. But that will not occur to you - you choose to insult and patronize me right off the bat. That is unacceptable.

I also wonder how anyone could help OP other than someone trained in the medical field, or someone experienced in the application as OP is asking about. So I guess there is no safe way to help OP out. A doctor would have to fear a lawsuit, a survivor a disgusting orgy of accusations of insanity and needing help thrown all over the place. Thank you, fellow members, for ruining a writer's perfectly innocent request for help with your condescending attitude that makes anyone run the other way instead of posting a useful reply. It is a good thing that elsewhere, obviously, writers and their advisors are treated more respectfully, as otherwise you would not be entertained by melodramatic literature such as Veronika decides to die, and other such dark writings. Someone needs to come forward and share the relevant info - but on this board, obviously, no one can feel safe to do so.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Countdown to thread lock. 10. 9. 8...

:popcorn:

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Gently folks. Remember this is a writer's forum. Don't judge the question or the responses, and particularly don't judge the poster. There are plenty of reasons why someone might know the answer to this.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I also find it sad to be forced to screen a fellow Whovian but "Sweetheart" is one of those condescending pity party terms of endearment I do not wish to be called any more than the c-word.

While I understand your feelings here, knowing Miranda as I do, I am positive it comes from a real worry about your feelings, given your posts over the past couple of days. Please do not dismiss it because people in a different country use language in a different way than you do.

Sweetheart can be patronising, but isn't always*. Sometimes, especially on the internet, it's hard to tell the difference, but I'm 99% certain it was used here to express a real concern. It isn't even close to being called a cunt

*I use it a lot with my freinds

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Miranda always calls me "sweetheart". Or sometimes other things. ;)

Mostly sweetheart.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I am wondering, if a character had half a bottle of benzos what else could he / she " easily" have acccess to in ordeer to kill himself? Booze? Ok.... but what else?

If your character wishes to kill himself, then there are better things and methods. Is the attempt supposed to be successful, or not? That makes a big difference.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Apologies to Miranda. That other guy's comment just ticked me off and put me on a roll. I was wrong to respond to you the way I did. Let me just say, I am perfectly fine and have been for a long time, but I keep the memories around because once gotten over, they make for great stories :flag:

Foolonthehill

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't understand what is going on cause I didn't see the deleted post. What I was trying to get is somone who carries around a concoction that would kill them but make them fall asleep first (that's where the benzos come in).
I remember reading a book about concentration camps where a doctor husband and wife carried small capsules in one of their socks which they would use if they felt they couldn't carry on any longer. Of course that would be slightly different.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't understand what is going on cause I didn't see the deleted post. What I was trying to get is somone who carries around a concoction that would kill them but make them fall asleep first (that's where the benzos come in).
I remember reading a book about concentration camps where a doctor husband and wife carried small capsules in one of their socks which they would use if they felt they couldn't carry on any longer. Of course that would be slightly different.

The benzos and alcohol might work, but that combination isn't very reliable. The lethal dosage is fairly large and variable. The traditional suicide capsule that the doctor and his wife probably carried probably was a cyanide capsule, and it just takes a capsule to kill with reliability.

If it is to be carried around forever, then a bottle with that combination might be fine.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Apologies to Miranda. That other guy's comment just ticked me off and put me on a roll. I was wrong to respond to you the way I did. Let me just say, I am perfectly fine and have been for a long time, but I keep the memories around because once gotten over, they make for great stories :flag:

Thank you for that apology, it is much appreciated. And I apologise for forgetting that 'sweetheart' can be an ambigious word, depending on the tone.

I'm glad you're ok. And yes, they do make good stories. :)

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

People have killed themselves with benzodiazepines, both in combination with other stuff and sometimes even solo, but it's not remotely guaranteed to kill you. Part of the reason benzos are the drug of choice nowadays is that they're much safer and more difficult to overdose than the drugs they replaced. The odds are higher with those, like barbiturates, but it's still not a surefire method. Most suicide attempts with prescription medication fail.

Foolonthehill

Registered
Reaction score
so, what if it were benzos mixed with cyanide? Would that be possible? And where would one get cyanide anyway?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Meh, might as well contribute. The following is for educational purposes in fiction prose only. Whatever anyone does with this info, or how they interpret or abuse it, is to be printed on toilet paper and fedexed to me.

Cyanide is hard to get your hands on and over-done in fiction. Cyanide murder, cyanide suicide, cyanide Nazis... Just OD on Phenobarbital and add the benzos for good measure. Phenobarbital can be acquired at any vet for your epileptic dog. The lethal dose for an adult is between 3 and 9 grams, depending on weight and overall state of health and age. To be sure, aim above 5. It's pain-free, basically putting you to sleep. Forever. It's a muscle relaxant, and your heart's a muscle. Works best ingested with alcohol. Not to be confused with Pentobarbital which has been observed in euthanasia patients to cause horrible agony in isolated cases. Phenobarbital is also used by vets to put animals under anesthesia or euthanise them humanely. It can be used to treat epilepsy in humans, but I think that's rather rare. It's an abuse-prone drug. Mostly distributed in pill form.
Note: the lethal dose is a huge load to swallow, literally. You would have to crush dozens of pills even with the 100mg form.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Meh, might as well contribute. The following is for educational purposes in fiction prose only. Whatever anyone does with this info, or how they interpret or abuse it, is to be printed on toilet paper and fedexed to me.

Cyanide is hard to get your hands on and over-done in fiction. Cyanide murder, cyanide suicide, cyanide Nazis... Just OD on Phenobarbital and add the benzos for good measure. Phenobarbital can be acquired at any vet for your epileptic dog. The lethal dose for an adult is between 3 and 9 grams, depending on weight and overall state of health and age. To be sure, aim above 5. It's pain-free, basically putting you to sleep. Forever. It's a muscle relaxant, and your heart's a muscle. Works best ingested with alcohol. Not to be confused with Pentobarbital which has been observed in euthanasia patients to cause horrible agony in isolated cases. Phenobarbital is also used by vets to put animals under anesthesia or euthanise them humanely. It can be used to treat epilepsy in humans, but I think that's rather rare. It's an abuse-prone drug. Mostly distributed in pill form.
Note: the lethal dose is a huge load to swallow, literally. You would have to crush dozens of pills even with the 100mg form.

Phenobarbital is excellent for some purposes, but the OP was about someone carrying a lethal dose around with him, and the lethal dosage would require a fair sized bottle. One site says that the lethal dosage is 47/30 mg tablets, even using booze to spped things along it would require a lot of swallowing.

I didn't look into how one might acquire cyanide, but there is enough being used that there has to be enough for a couple lethal doses somewhere, but I'm still not looking into it.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I just looked around the internet a little, and there are many sources for cyanide. I might have to stretch the truth about my mining operations, but that's O.K.