Assistance with a Google search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh

Registered
Reaction score
I'm unable to find any information on how to refuse to inherit real property that has been left to me in a will. I posted a question on one of those ask-a-lawyer sites but never received an answer.

First of all, I do not believe that I have actually inherited the property yet. The will of my grandmother states that it is to be passed down to her children and it names each individual child. Then in another section it says that the property is to be passed to her grandchildren after her children have died. I know of at least one of her children that is still alive today, so based on that I do not believe that the property has passed down to me yet.

I have not been on the property since I was a 17 year old child in 1983. There are two, maybe three cousins still living there that I do not have contact with. They don't have Facebook, or even computers for that matter. The property is located in rural eastern Kentucky. I live in California.

This is becoming a pressing issue because I have just been contacted by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet to discuss "my property." They need to buy, or maybe seize part of the property for road improvements.

I would very much like to handle this without the expense of a lawyer if at all possible. It is very hard to believe that people do not want to inherit real property that has been left to them, far away, with taxes and upkeep. Surely, someone has gone through this before. However, I can not find a thing through internet searches. Of all the John Grisham novels I have on my shelf, not a one of them deals with a reluctant heir of real property.

Key words I've used so far are, refuse a will, do not want to inherit, what if I do not want to inherit, remove myself from a will. Perhaps I need better search terms. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I believe that if I respond to the letter from Kentucky stating that I have not received the property and will not receive it even after all of my grandmother's children have died, I have absolved myself of any responsibilities of taxes and upkeep. However, I need to be sure so that I am not hit with unexpected tax bills or upkeep violations for a property 2,000 miles away.

Hugh

Registered
Reaction score
Decline inheritance brought this up: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/disclaimers.html

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, I'm just good at Googling. But that search term brings up more hits, and with luck they'll help you.

Thank you!

That contains some bad news for me: "Deliver the disclaimer to the person in control of the estate – usually the executor or trustee."

The executor is dead. Now what?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hugh, we can't allow ourselves to give legal advice here without putting the site's owner at risk. Even the attorneys among us are prohibited from doing that. (Same with medical advice, for the record.)

All we can do is suggest you contact an attorney, pose your question, and pay his or her fee.

Maryn

Hugh

Registered
Reaction score
Hugh, we can't allow ourselves to give legal advice here without putting the site's owner at risk. Even the attorneys among us are prohibited from doing that. (Same with medical advice, for the record.)

All we can do is suggest you contact an attorney, pose your question, and pay his or her fee.

Maryn

Nope, sorry. According to the Digital Powers Act signed into law by Bill Clinton in 1999: "Anybody on the internetz who helps you with a Google search for legal terms is required by law to represent you and get you out of any mess you find yourself in."

Now, about this wart on my hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.