Drugging - As Seen On TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

writeorwrong

Registered
Reaction score
The MC needs to perform a number of different revenge acts on different people (Think Rhoda Penmark all grown up).

You know the soap opera scenes where someone slips powder into a drink and within seconds the victim is passed out?

Is there really such a fast acting drug that can be administered in powder form? If so, what's it called, can it be obtained in the US, and by whom? Thanks
smile.gif

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there really is such a drug, chloryl hydrate. It's commonly called a Mickey Finn (an incredibly popular name for bars since the 50s, if not earlier) or sometimes simply a Mickey. The verb is often 'slip.'

There's also rohypnol, the 'date-rape drug' which causes amnesia rather than unconsciousness. High school health classes now teach everyone, girls especially, not to leave their beverage unattended.

Maryn, who suggests that you'll find lots more about each at wikipedia

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I use a lot of chloral hydrate in my work to sedate children for procedures. Believe me, it does not work as fast or a reliably as depicted on TV. Even in liquid form at a fairly high dose on an empty stomach it takes about 10-15 minutes to induce sleep. It just plain doesn't work in some people, even when a dose is repeated. And people don't just drop over with it. They drift off to sleep over several minutes. And it comes as a pill, a colored liquid (with a strong taste), or a rectal suppository -- no powder.

Short answer: there is no drug that works as depicted on TV. Those that make you drop over quickly have a high risk of killing you because they make you stop breathing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
drugs

Some drugs knock some people out instantly. And there are drugs that work every bit as well as those on TV, even though they are more dangerous than portrayed. There are even drugs whose primary use is to put people under almost instantly. In fiction, however, I'd fake this just a bit. Use one of the drugs already suggested. They work on some people very fast, and on other people not at all, but it isn't unrealistic to have it work on your character, and there are drugs I don't think you really want to advertise in a work of fiction.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
writeorwrong said:
The MC needs to perform a number of different revenge acts on different people (Think Rhoda Penmark all grown up).

You know the soap opera scenes where someone slips powder into a drink and within seconds the victim is passed out?

Is there really such a fast acting drug that can be administered in powder form? If so, what's it called, can it be obtained in the US, and by whom? Thanks
smile.gif

I second what Colorado Guy said. If the drug has to be taken orally then there is scope for a lot of variation in how well/quickly it works. Has the victim eaten recently? How much does the victim weigh? Is the victim on any other medication that might interact with what they are being dosed with?
It would be really quite easy to get it wrong and kill someone.

writeorwrong

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, Wikipedia was actually the first place I went and both rohypnol and chloral hydrate came up under a search for "sedatives"... I did think of making up a drug as I'm not looking to give anyone any ideas.

On the other hand, rohypnol and chloral hydrate have been around a while and there would be the ring of authenticity. I just thought perhaps there might be something out there that acts quicker, but either one of these would do what I need.

Originally, the victim (an adult male) would pass out. But Colorado Guy has given me an idea for a possible twist.
wink.gif

Thanks, y'all rock!

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Jamesaritchie said:
Some drugs knock some people out instantly. And there are drugs that work every bit as well as those on TV, even though they are more dangerous than portrayed. There are even drugs whose primary use is to put people under almost instantly.
What specific drugs are you thinking about? I administer general anesthesia for a living and have done so for many years. The only sedative/anesthetics that "work instantly" are IV medications or inhaled gas. I wouldn't trust on-line dictionaries for information like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.